Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane H
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a popular game for the day. The first game played was in the morning, before the kids went to school. It was also the true first game, as I had just purchased it and received it in the mail the day before. It was only Tim (11 years old) and I for this round. Unfortunately, I read the rules too fast, and we thought you could play any of the last two vampire tiles on each end of your tile row, for a total of 4 playable tiles. In reality, you can only play the very end tile, for a total of two playable tiles. Wow, with that rule, Tim won fast on his fourth turn as I had no luck. He was quite impressed with himself and went to school a happy lad...but I then sat down and re-read the rules.
Now it is afterschool and I know the rules better. Anyways, KJ (8), Kasidy (9), Vanessa (4) and myself (almost ancient) played. The beginning turns are quick and easy with no hidden vampires or garlic to mess you up. But when you are halfway through, everyone begins turning over already occupied crypts. The empty tiles get harder and harder to find, the players start turning over garlic...pressure begins to mount! With great joy, when anyone turns over their own garlic, or acquires their third stake, they are bombarded with 3 new vampires to add to their row. At this point in the game, you are more likely to win by giving your vampires away when another player makes a bad crypt pick. Much to KJ's chagrin, I gave Kasidy the victory by cleverly finding her garlic piece (hidden under a corner tile at that!) when she only had one vampire tile left. Kasidy had a huge grin on her face, KJ was a bit dejected and Vanessa and I somehow managed to cope.
The game was played again when Daddy got home. I managed to win when Kasidy got three stakes and I got to give her my last vampire. She somehow tried to blame her 4 year old sister for those turn of events.
Once again the game was put away, but Tim came back over and wanted to play it. He started off good, claiming he had a sixth sense, but that didn't pan out for him. That sixth sense came and went fast. Kasidy and Vanessa narrowed the gap, and it was back and forth for awhile with Kasidy, Tim and Vanessa having 7 vampires each. Finally, Kasidy slowly but surely reduced her vampire row. I was not a threat at all with my short term memory of about 3 seconds. In the end, Kasidy defeated Tim, causing her much glee and Tim was left to question his sixth sense.
Also, I followed msaari's advice, and I have yet to play the game with the Rats and the rat plague. The game is fun enough without it. The 4 year old can hold her own also. I think this is a great game for kids and I am very impressed with the quality of the board and pieces. A big hit here already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.