Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Waterloo rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Raszewski
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Just picked this game up at a flea market. Playe dmy son, very intense; but I think we ar eplaying wrong. The rules seem contradictory. It says a round consists of playing yur five cards (if yur French) and gives an example page 6 of a round showing two attacks. Later on page 8 it says in bold only one attack per rounds, which is it????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Duncan
United Kingdom
Galashiels
Scotland
flag msg tools
It is meant to be played as one attack (max) per card played as an action or movement card. This means that eg the French player in his attack phase could have a maximum of five battles - assuming he does not play any of his five cards in battle, and is already adjacent to enemy unit(s).

I agree that the game rules are fundamentally flawed in that they do not adequately describe the flow of the game.

The game also underplays the movement potential of cavalry and I'd recommend a house rule here, as the designer's suggestion of combining cards for cavalry movement is expensive and not a great improvement. We allow cavalry half cost movement in open terrain including ridges and hills, and that works well.

Crucially, the British should start the game every time, contrary to the game rules which give a game-breaking advantage to the French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.