Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been lurking here for a long time, but always wanted to try to writing up a session. This game seemed like a good one to share, so...

As part of a large game club (shout-out to CABS!), I get to play plenty of BSG with many highly experienced players. So the games tend to be close fought, and very entertaining. This one was no exception.

We had a full roster of 7 players, and first selection was the Cylon Leader Cavil. I chose second, and quickly took Helo. The rest of the crew was filled in order around the table with Chief, Roslin, Dee, Boomer, & Starbuck. Hmm, not much Politics or Military - I wondered if that would be a problem... Loyalty cards are dealt, and I'm a human. With no other Military, I'm also Admiral Helo.

The first skill check turns up a spike in green - we have a hidden Cylon in play to start. But with so much green available to players, the number of suspects are high. As the game progresses, basestars pound at Pegasus, and then Galactica. Chief oddly can't seem to draw the Repairs. Further checks point to President Roslin and Chief as the potential Cylons. Chief thinks it might be Helo. The irony is only Boomer seems to be trustworthy. Amid the many attacks & fleet threats, Cavil instead puts his efforts into working down resources, mainly Morale. Given the situation, Starbuck (played by a new-to-the-game player) decides we should give the Presidency to Boomer. The Admin check actually goes through, and Boomer's ship is dubbed 'Viper One'. After the second of 2-distance jumps, the sleeper phase kicks in...

Loyalty cards go around, and oh boy, the Admiral's a Toaster! Galactica is limping around with 3 damage tokens still, so I figure I'll push in the 'destroy the ship' direction, where Cavil should be a big help. President Boomer goes to the brig. With ships again threatening, Chief throws an XO to Starbuck. But instead of instructing her to go out to fight or defend some civvies, he wants her "to Brig the Admiral". Unfortunately, armed with the timing & his slow repair work, suspicion drops hard on him. Chief winds up joining Boomer in the Brig in short order. Dee reveals as a Cylon, and hands me her extra Loyalty cards. Dee's player wants suspicion on me as the Admiral, not knowing her accusations are on a hidden Cylon partner. Pressure is on me now, so I start looking for ways out. But when the next jump comes up, I can't pass up a chance to burn the humans. I play it up as a can't win choice & stick 'em with a 1-distance jump. Fortunately, the destiny draw on a following skill check spikes blue, so I make sure to point it out but spin it as Chief's likely handiwork. My gambit works, not only covering my own negative card, but buying me some time to set up my reveal. It plays around to Starbuck's crisis. I alter it to the bad with Helo's once-per-game, effectively outing myself. But with Cavil next and my turn after his, the best they could do was use Boomer's once-per to cancel out mine - just as I had hoped. Cut to my reveal, which gave me the power to Brig a human. Starbuck was locked up, leaving only Roslin free... to became the new Admiral!

So the situation was this: Boomer was President, Roslin was Admiral, 3 of the 4 humans were in the brig, and they were only at 5 distance. Seemed like Team Cylon had them on the ropes... That was when Cavil suddenly switched programming, and began helping the humans! They start struggling back, getting out of the brig and dealing well with the crisis deck. Then they not only pull, but pass Legendary Discovery for an extra 1-distance. Cavil even helped get them the next jump to the needed 8 total distance to Kobol. The revealed Cylons just couldn't seem to finish them off despite Dee's efforts to kill Morale. They managed to hold onto that last point for a while. Eventually, the humans were poised to escape with the win. The jump track was a mere step away from FTL zone when my turn came up. They had plenty of population left, so it was pretty much down to me to get that last Morale. I use Caprica to draw the two crisis cards. Both had a Morale loss possibility! One was a skill check, the other was a player's choice for a die roll. It was do or die They were low on cards from passing checks, but this one had red as good which I knew their pilots still had some in hand. I did have reason to believe they had spent their purples, though. So I gambled on the die roll.... 4 or less would take the last Morale. They didn't have the Strategic Planning, as I'd hoped.

50/50 shot.

I flipped the die into the air. It hit the table and bounced off the edge. I tossed it once more and with the harsh result of a 1, humanity's last hope was dashed.

TL,DR: Crazy game that included President Boomer, Admiral Roslin, helpful Cavil, and a die roll FTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
What was Cavil's agenda?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like Grant Mercy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
What was Cavil's agenda?

Oddily enough, I didn't find out. Like many of the BSG games at CABS, this one rolled into the early morning hours. So when it ended, things wrapped up quickly and I missed what it was. But Grant Mercy is a solid bet the way it played out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pagan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Dee revealing in any other manner that doesn't involve 7-10 civilian ships moving to their death is always sad.

What was Chief's reasoning for starting to cry about the Admiral? That seems like it didn't help his cause for gaining allies.

Quote:
It plays around to Starbuck's crisis. I alter it to the bad with Helo's once-per-game, effectively outing myself. But with Cavil next and my turn after his, the best they could do was use Boomer's once-per to cancel out mine

That seems slightly off. As I understand it the OPG on crisis go Starbuck, Helo, then Boomer's.

1. A crisis is revealed and Starbuck can choose to discard it and draw another.

2. Once the crisis is set if it has a Player Chooses, the proper player makes their choice. Then Helo can change the choice.

3. Once any choices are set, if the choice is a skill check them Boomer can auto pass/fail the check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paganus wrote:
Dee revealing in any other manner that doesn't involve 7-10 civilian ships moving to their death is always sad.

Yeah, her player said it wasn't the best reveal but I think he just wanted to get it out there to help the Cylon partner. Probably wanted to toss some suspicion on the admiral while he was at it. What are the odds on me being both?

Quote:
What was Chief's reasoning for starting to cry about the Admiral? That seems like it didn't help his cause for gaining allies.

No, it didn't. Chief was being played by a close friend of mine, and I'm usually the traitor in our games of that type. Being third in line of possible suspects & knowing he wasn't, he probably figured it was me. If he sees this thread, maybe he'll add his own thoughts on it...

Quote:
Quote:
It plays around to Starbuck's crisis. I alter it to the bad with Helo's once-per-game, effectively outing myself. But with Cavil next and my turn after his, the best they could do was use Boomer's once-per to cancel out mine

That seems slightly off. As I understand it the OPG on crisis go Starbuck, Helo, then Boomer's.

1. A crisis is revealed and Starbuck can choose to discard it and draw another.

2. Once the crisis is set if it has a Player Chooses, the proper player makes their choice. Then Helo can change the choice.

3. Once any choices are set, if the choice is a skill check them Boomer can auto pass/fail the check.

Sorry, I should've been more clear here. Starbuck drew & kept the crisis, which was player's choice between a skill check & die roll. The die roll was selected as it would have been better for them, so I used Helo's OPG to switch to the check. Boomer then used her OPG to auto-pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cheng Meister
Australia
Maylands
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there only meant to be 1 Cylon if a Cylon leader is chosen?

Lol for Admiral Roslin! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheng, it was a 7 player game, which has 2 Cylons, 4 Humans, and a hostile Cylon Leader. 4-5 player would then have only 1 Cylon.

Anyway, nice report. It always leaves me feeling a bit empty when an epic game ends up coming down to effectively a coin flip (LoTR:Confrontation has done this to me when it was 2 pieces vs 2, one choice = win, the other = loss). But sometimes, it can't be helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.