Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trenloe has featured in our last 4 games of Runebound with different players playing him. Trenloe has won everytime.

Is his ability of leveling up quicker than everyone else a too big advantage? Do other players have this issue, if so how do you deal with it.

At present he will be barred from the next game.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
aaronsibley wrote:
Trenloe has featured in our last 4 games of Runebound with different players playing him. Trenloe has won everytime.

Is his ability of leveling up quicker than everyone else a too big advantage? Do other players have this issue, if so how do you deal with it.

At present he will be barred from the next game.

Thanks.

Out of curiosity which game is he from? I have base and sands and the name doesn't ring a bell (but don't have either game with me at the moment to confirm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Trenloe is that his power doesn't scale with number of players. With 1-2 players where you need 5 exp per level his power is not unreasonable, but with 3-4 (4 exp/lvl) or 5-6 (3 exp/lvl) or for any variants with less exp/lvl people use to speed up gameplay he's way overpowered.
My suggestion is to play him as getting 1 extra exp for each 4 experience he earns no matter how many players are playing (i.e. he gets 1 free exp at 4,9,14, etc.) The only downside of this is that you have to keep track how much exp he has earned, but that's not too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers. Looks like Trenloe will be brought out for Newbe's and youngsters then. Shame as I like to play him in Descent where he is not overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agro Beeblebroxian
msg tools
Agreed all around. Trenloe is really nice to break out for your new player (Note- who also has no background in RPGs at all.)

My groups play 3-4 XP per level to cut down the time involved- you REALLY feel it. Whenever someone who has half a clue gets their hands on him you can expect the game to run off with em. surprise

My advice? Hide him under the divider and forget about him until that certain person comes along.
Seeing as you have at least one big box expansions you're NOT going to miss him. laugh

Just to hopefully add some value to this thread... Red Scorpion, Borgan the Shadow, Vyrah the Falconer (Isle of Dread) Can make great introductory characters. But then people with a little board game or RPG know-how can probably get a decent idea of what they want anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.