Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
After reading the rulebook I have one major concern about the game - I hate trading "everything for everything with everyone" in strategic games. So I would like to ask people who played the game: is trading an important part of the game, is it fun and did you have a lot of "oh, no, why did you trade with him not with me, stupid game"?

Right now, I think that I will suggest people with whom I will play to cut the trading part from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is trading fun? I don't really know how to answer that. It seems you're more worried about it being integral to the gameplay and that if you aren't a wheeler dealer that you won't be able to enjoy the game.

Rest assured this hasn't be the case with me. Trading can be helpful, but usually it's quite obvious whether it's worth it or not and because the things you can trade are rather limited, it doesn't require a lot of thought or work to understand. NOT trading with others won't seriously hurt your chances of winning (although if your opponents are trading, they might get some small advantage).

Ultimately, the trading aspect of the game is for a little extra flavor, but it is not the heart of the game. A civilization that chooses not to trade certainly has the option, but you really don't have to worry about being "screwed" in a deal unless you're just not paying attention. But if you have a goal, you know what's important to you and what you're willing to trade.

You can remove the trading between players option if you want, but it's a simple mechanism that allows everyone to advance just a little faster toward the endgame. If you cut it out, you'll increase play time as each nation struggles on its own. But, again, it's not going to destroy the gameplay.

But I think there's no reason to be afraid of trading in the game. It's just not about screwing over other players as much as building yourself up. Heck, only one on of the four winning conditions involves directly attacking another player and even that isn't easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not one for trading either. It's really why I don't like Settlers of Catan. But I enjoyed it in my one game of this. It's not a big part of the game and it goes quickly; like the second poster said it adds some flavour and I'd say some fun interaction between the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikko_r wrote:
Please note that some technologies and culture events give trade, coins or even technologies to your opponents. These can be great bargaining tools. If you choose to play without the actual trade pahse these become the only bargaining tool.

Without trading phase what happens with for example Horseback Riding is that two players gain something while the two other players can not. So even if you eliminate the trading phase there will be some back scratching in the game. I don't know how much this influences the balance, but it's something you should keep in mind.

I suggest that you don't drop the trading phase. It is fun and I enjoy the freedom and opportunities it provides. We are not there yet, but I imagine you could turn trading into extorcion or bribery. Even if kept simple why wouldn't you want to turn the few extra trade points to resource?

I taught and/or played many games of this at BGG con this week. Mikko has exactly the right idea about trade. It does't dominate the game, or take very long, but it can be quite helpful on occasion.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I agree that the trading phase in Civilization is very useful and really complements both technologies and culture cards.A lot of these will prove far more useful as bribes and threats than simply picking a benefactor or victim.

The trading phase also gives opportunity for interaction in the early game before the civilizations meet more directly.

Finally, as has been noted elsewhere, the trading phase can be a very useful mechanism for an ally to offer limited aid to a besieged player and delay a quick military wipeout. So often with other games I am left saying " I'd like to help, but I'm on the other side of the board".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading is in every civ game because the original civilization was all about the trading. Trading is fun in other games, I don't know about this game. Trading in multi-player games is all about making many small deals with other players, in which they all make slightly more than you, but since you are the one who did the most trading you came out ahead because you made multiple small deals with everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only had a practice game under my belt, but so far it looks like most of the time you just don't have anything that you want to trade so you just move on.
Where trade DOES come in to play is when people start playing culture cards that do things like "Gain 9 trade, then choose another player and they gain 6 trade." You have to give those 6 trade to SOMEONE, so it may as well go to the highest bidder.
On the flip side, you can also use the trade phase for extortion. If you have nuclear weapons, you can demand tribute to not destroy their cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Ok, I'm convinced Thanks for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.