Subject: The Reveal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, in our plays, a question has arisen - what do the alien players practically benefit from not revealing that they are, in fact, playing aliens?
Of course, of course, the game as a whole benefits atmosphere-wise from the paranoia, from the quiet and the darkness, of not knowing where the strike and the pounce might come from... and we should do what we can to enhance this. Still, a but: why should an alien player not reveal as soon as they get in approximate range of the humans, and attack on every turn? The only reason not to do this would be worry over the human players wielding guns, and that is pretty insignificant in terms of probability.
You do not want other aliens mistaking you for a human! Thus, you should reveal.
I think that as an alien player even, I would have more fun sneaking around and stalking my prey, but I am pretty sure that this is not optimal gameplay...
What do others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
Now, in our plays, a question has arisen - what do the alien players practically benefit from not revealing that they are, in fact, playing aliens?
Of course, of course, the game as a whole benefits atmosphere-wise from the paranoia, from the quiet and the darkness, of not knowing where the strike and the pounce might come from... and we should do what we can to enhance this. Still, a but: why should an alien player not reveal as soon as they get in approximate range of the humans, and attack on every turn? The only reason not to do this would be worry over the human players wielding guns, and that is pretty insignificant in terms of probability.
You do not want other aliens mistaking you for a human! Thus, you should reveal.
I think that as an alien player even, I would have more fun sneaking around and stalking my prey, but I am pretty sure that this is not optimal gameplay...
What do others think?
good questions !

i hope that someone from Cranio can also bring some light on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Ragione
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
What do others think?
Hello!

Thank you for your question!

Let me first ask this: have you tried playing that way with equally experienced players? Not revealing you are an alien has the following advantages:

- You can get near a human without him worrying or running away if he is convinced you are a human.
- Keeping track of every players noises is harder for a human if he doesn't know which of the other players are human or aliens (especially true for games with 5 players and up)
- (pretty advanced) You can get other aliens to attack in sectors you think a human is hiding by declaring a false noise there.

We will soon release a manual for advanced tactics + more hints on our website: STAY TUNED!

SR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa Ragione wrote:
Againsto wrote:
What do others think?
Hello!

Let me first ask this: have you tried playing that way with equally experienced players? Not revealing you are an alien has the following advantages:

- You can get near a human without him worrying or running away if he is convinced you are a human.
- Keeping track of every players noises is harder for a human if he doesn't know which of the other players are human or aliens (especially true for games with 5 players and up)
- (pretty advanced) You can get other aliens to attack in sectors you think a human is hiding by declaring a false noise there.

We will soon release a manual for advanced tactics + more hints on our website: STAY TUNED!

SR

cool !

many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
These are all pretty good points; especially 2) and 3) are really interesting in making the point that there deeper levels of strategy than one might think at first sight.
The first one I am not so sure about; aren't humans constantly on the run? Would they not also run from other humans, worried - rightly so! - that another human nearby might make a noise which would point in their direction?
I am really really looking forward to this manual! Thanks for your attention & support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Barnoz
Canada
flag msg tools
How can you not know quickly who is human and who is an alien?

We played 2 games last saturday and within a couple of turns, because aliens spawned from the north of the map and humans from the south, it became obvious as to who was who.

Since humans can only move 1 hexagon at a time, it didn't take long for them to land on several grey spots and thus have to pick a card and announce where they were.

Regardless of the cards that let you lie about your position, you will more than likely get one where you -must- tell the truth and if you're at the top of the map or at the bottom early in the game, it's pretty clear if you're an alien or not.

Also, aliens can't use objects. So if someone accumulates object cards and never plays them, it also becomes obvious he's an alien. The same is true for humans: play just 1 card and we know you're not an alien.

So how can you -REALLY- sustain the mystery when the board (map) and mechanics (object cards) work against you in hiding your identity for long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kharn The Betrayer
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Canary Islands
flag msg tools
KILL, MAIM, BURN!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I supose it depends on the map. If you have played the game just twice, meaybe you play in Galilei zone. Try to play more maps, the situation of Secure and Danger hexes let you play not revealing yourself since the beggining like in the case you mention about Galilei zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
Santa Ragione wrote:
Againsto wrote:
What do others think?
Hello!

SR

The last "advantage" is false. Why use a green card to do that when you can just reveal yourself an alien, then table talk and tell the other aliens to attack that sector?

I believe there should be an additional rule or mechanic to encourage aliens not to reveal themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls