• [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah. I thought about the PSP for a while, but I'm just going to keep playing the occasional game on my Palm (actually a Zodiac). The Palm is useful enough that it is worth carrying it everywhere I go. The games aren't anywhere near the quality I would expect from the PSP, but while on the go, I'm not looking for anything elaborate. My interest in video games is on the decline and I just want something to kill a few minutes. I've also got a good collection of emulated games on my Palm.

Since the PSP is pretty much dedicated to gaming, I would only use it when I expect to have time to kill, so most of the time it would stay at home. What good is a portable gaming machine if I don't take it with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
CUMMING
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely going to be a wait-and-see. If it was better as being a music/video player, then I would say yes. Do they really expect everyone to buy a bunch of movies that only plays on that one player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid of Sony's engineering. Many first generation Playstations had horrible skipping problems after a year ot two. Everyone I know that bought a PS2 at launch had to buy a new one by now.

Sony makes new versions of their consoles every year or so, and the second release typically has a fraction of the problems of the first release.

I'm waiting at least until they can make the battery last a reasonable amount of time. I spend 20+ hours in a plane at least twice a year. If the battery doesn't last 12 hours, it's not for me. I'm pretty sure that they'll eventually fix this problem though, so all I have to do is wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats a PSP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:
Whats a PSP?

isn't called angel dust or something? , all sounds a bit heavy to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:
Whats a PSP?

The new Playstation Portable video game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ennever
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
I will no doubt get one, but not straight away. I bought a DS which I personally think is a work of genius - not many games, but just pure joy to pick up and play (by blowing on the console ). A handheld console is about pick up and play gaming joy - it's about playability not graphics and at 6 hours play time the battery on the PSP is an issue for me.

I've got a GP32 for music, video, emulation etc. The PSP will be a nice to have rather than the DS which for me, was a got to have...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Any of ya'll preorder a PSP?

I stood in line in the freezing rain for four hours in Tokyo on the Japanese launch day to get one. It is the single most impressive piece of game hardware that I have ever seen. The screen is huge and the resolution is crisp. The graphics chip is amazing. It's like a portable PS2. Most importantly, the games are great. This will take over the handheld market. It owns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
djflippy wrote:
Aldie wrote:
Any of ya'll preorder a PSP?

I stood in line in the freezing rain for four hours in Tokyo on the Japanese launch day to get one. It is the single most impressive piece of game hardware that I have ever seen. The screen is huge and the resolution is crisp. The graphics chip is amazing. It's like a portable PS2. Most importantly, the games are great. This will take over the handheld market. It owns.

That's a really compelling review. I was waffling on this one, but I think you've sold me....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tough call. Generally it's a game that draws me to get the system. There has to be a launch title that really grabs me to get the hardware right when it is released.

I am not sure if I would say 'It Owns' though. The PSP and the GameBoy are pretty different and are for different markets. The PSP is pretty expensive and is really impressive. There have been other handhelds that were more impressive than the Gameboy in the past, but they are all dead and buried. I think the new Gameboy is for a wider demographic so it isn't going anywhere, plus the user-base for Gameboy games in general is insane. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't want both systems though eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ginn
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. My Gameboy SP doesn't see much use and in general I'm not really video gaming all that much these days. I'd rather spend the dough on some board games that will see some playing time than on yet another video game system that'll sit on the shelf and collect dust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For $400!?!? wow

Frakking AY!

You can build a *PC* for that!

Who spends that kind of money on an electronic toy? Hell, I thought I went pretty balls-to-the-wall with the *entire speaker system* for my PC, and I didn't pay that! (And that's considering that the wife and I watch all our DVDs on the PC - no TV or home theater otherwise) That's more than a 19" LCD monitor costs!!

Gah, madness. Pure madness.

You have any idea how many boardgames you can buy for $400!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
For $400!?!? wow

It's $250.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djflippy wrote:
XanderF wrote:
For $400!?!? wow

It's $250.

Still too much! I mean, WAY too much. Now we are in the neighborhood of a 19" LCD or good speakers, which make for MUCH more substantial entertainment. And still a meaningful stack of boardgames.

(Didn't realize you could just buy it on its own, though - the only thing shops around here sell are the 'bundles' and even the 'basic' bundle is $400, going up from there. Not like there is any point in buying it on its own - it can't DO anything but play games or proprietary Sony media, so it'd be a $250 paperweight.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a wait and see for me, but a definite possibility. I agree about the "wait for the 2nd run on Sony stuff" comment, from experience with their consoles. I spend a lot of time on airplanes, so a portable game toy is a must for me. I have a Gameboy Advance SP which I'm STILL playing Advance Wars 2 on (for the last 2 years), and am eyeing the DS . . . but what is going to beat Advance Wars 2 for an avid BoardGameGeek? Nothing right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, well, I spend plenty of time on airplanes, myself. But I've recently become hooked on these newfangled things called BOOKS. Very compelling, and an unlimited battery life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes, well, I spend plenty of time on airplanes, myself. But I've recently become hooked on these newfangled things called BOOKS. Very compelling, and an unlimited battery life!

Yep, books are better than video games any day, but I'm one of those people plagued with chronic motion sickness, so reading while in a moving vehicle is not an option - at least not for long. Incidentally, that's why turn-based games work so well for me. You only have to focus on the screen for a few seconds at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kilgore
United States
Sturgeon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PopeBrain wrote:
Quote:
You only have to focus on the screen for a few seconds at a time.

Wario Ware, Inc. might amuse you, then Pope. It has several hundred micro games that are blasted at you with increasing rapidity. It is really easy to pause or to put away once your gaming time or interest has expired.

Along the the lines of Advance Wars 2, you might be interested in Final Fantasy Tactics (or at least I think that this is the title).

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Wario-Ware, and I think it's great. I have eyed FF Tactics Advance for a long time, but the price never seems to come down! It must be good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PopeBrain wrote:
I have Wario-Ware, and I think it's great. I have eyed FF Tactics Advance for a long time, but the price never seems to come down! It must be good!

Yes, FFT is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is play one.....you'll change your mind quickly if you enjoy video games. As for those who question construction, the player inside is based off of sony's dvd camcorder technology (it's solid stuff). As for any question of having to buy special movies for it....just buy a big memory stick duo and rip you dvd's onto the stick. There's a conversion that's necessary but the software is free on the net. The screen is stunning....the whole unit is just dead sexy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
All I can say is play one.....you'll change your mind quickly if you enjoy video games.

LOL - wouldn't bet on it. I 'enjoy video games' - but the PC kind only. I've never been able to get into any console game. Course, I tend to prefer my games a bit 'brainier' than most console games. 'Tactical shooters' like "Rainbow Six" and "America's Army" get play from me, while any shooter you can respawn in is an instant turn-off (with the notable exception of Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 - and only there because the teamply is SO intense - and Planetside - for the same reason, plus the clever game mechanic which makes the ability to spawn a tactical advantage that can be lost).

Flight sims that require a HOTAS are in, airplane games you can play on a gamepad are out.

And adventure games rock, as do proper RPGs (not console 'RPGs' - that are really nothing more than hack-and-slash action games). Most of the story should be solving puzzles and dialogue, IMHO.

ANYWAY, so, yeah, there ya go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week was a chain reaction of PSP buying where I work. One guy got one and I was inspired to get one. Another guy got one because I got one, and a fourth broke down and got one last weekend. Now if we could just get caught up enough on work to play a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
FFT:Advance is not a bad game at all, but I've had lots more fun with Fire Emblem myself. It's shining force all over again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.