Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you choose the Colonize role in order to add 2 or more colonies, do the colonies all have to be added to the same planet or can you split them between multiple planets? The rules say "a face-down planet" so we ruled that you could only add to one world at a time, but I'm not positive this is an intended restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
DougOrleans wrote:
When you choose the Colonize role in order to add 2 or more colonies, do the colonies all have to be added to the same planet or can you split them between multiple planets? The rules say "a face-down planet" so we ruled that you could only add to one world at a time, but I'm not positive this is an intended restriction.

My understanding is that when using the colonize role, you may split the colonize cards that you are following (or boosting) with amongst multiple planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay guys I want to play devils advocate here. The rules read:

"Colonize – The Colonize Action puts the card played under a face down planet in your Empire. The Role/Follow can put multiple Colonize icons under a planet. That's called "Adding colonies" - the colonize icons under the planet are called Colonies."

Notice is says in both the action and the Role/Follow areas that you can place THE card under A planet or MULTIPLE Colonize icons under A planet,

I am not sure where one could justify placing cards under more than one planet. Both cases very clearly say A planet.

Would be nice to hear Seth pipe in on some of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to check the FAQ but I'm 95 percent sure that somewhere Seth said you could put it under multiple planets.

I'm posting my embarrassed face early for when I get corrected. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ: .
Quote:

"Add 1 Colony" means place the card with the Colonize icon behind a face down planet. If you do this as an action, then you're simply adding the card you played behind a planet. If you do it as a role, then you are adding the Role card from the stack, plus any cards with colonize ICONS on them that you choose to play (this could be Colonize cards or a Tech cards with a colonize icon) behind face down planets. These Colonize icons behind planets are called Colonies.

emphasis mine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is from Seth and I will continue to play devils advocate,

It does not say you can split up the cards between planets, it says they can be played on face down planets. Differentiating face down and face up.

(I am only doing this because I really want to see a clean rule book since there are still several month before this thing has to go to print).

For arguments sake let me submit this from the FAQ:

A) This is how Warfare and Colonization work:

"+1 Army" means that you collect an Army token. Take a token from the supply and place it in front of you.

"Attack 1 Planet" means discard X armies to flip over the planet, where X is the Warfare cost on the back of the planet.
YOU ONLY ATTACK FACED DOWN PLANETS IN FRONT OF YOU. You cannot attack other players in any way. Attacking is just 1 of 2 ways you can flip over your face down planets.

Using your explanation this would translate that I CAN ATTACK a single player because it says I cannot attack players.

It would also seem to indicate that I could attack multiple planets with one attack role. "Attack faced down planets".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused with your post. Do you actually think you can only place colonies under one planet or are you just emphasizing how the rule book needs to be written better?

Either you don't know what devil's advocate means (which I assume you do) or I am just tired. :D Please just say your belief, especially if you are going to say "I know this is from Seth."

EDIT: I found this in another rules thread. Posted by Seth:

Quote:

If you choose instead to add Colonies, then EACH card that you played to boost the Role can be placed under any face down planet in your Empire.

Same kind of rationale used in my previous post, but in the other direction. Guess I'm waiting on Seth to chime in now.

EDIT 2: now I found this from Seth.

Quote:
When resolving a Colonize Role which has been boosted (or a Follow), each card is placed individually under a planet. Therefore you are not confined to placing them all on one planet, you may distribute them any way you like among the face-down planets in your Empire.

I'm sticking with this as my final answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am okay with either way. I would honestly prefer if you could attack and colonize mulitple planets but I don't feel the rule book or the FAQ are particulary clear on either one. Thus I am playing devils advocate to see if I can prod the discussion along and see what factions develop. Maybe its just me that feels the rules should be clearer maybe there are others?

I personally feel that game designers often end up being the worst rules writers possible because they fail to explain the game without allowing thier own knowledge of the game to intefere with being clear.

In this example the rules could easily use Single Planet or Multiple Planets to explain the role. But I feel that Seth, being the designer, uses planets interchangibly within the rules because there are multiple planets in the cards, multiple planets in play, multiple planets face down, etc... Its no knock on him as these are already some pretty clear rules, but of the questions I see being asked, many of them boil down to the difference between singular and plural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
I'm confused with your post. Do you actually think you can only place colonies under one planet or are you just emphasizing how the rule book needs to be written better?

Either you don't know what devil's advocate means (which I assume you do) or I am just tired. Please just say your belief, especially if you are going to say "I know this is from Seth."

EDIT: I found this in another rules thread. Posted by Seth:

Quote:

If you choose instead to add Colonies, then EACH card that you played to boost the Role can be placed under any face down planet in your Empire.

Same kind of rationale used in my previous post, but in the other direction. Guess I'm waiting on Seth to chime in now.

EDIT 2: now I found this from Seth.

Quote:
When resolving a Colonize Role which has been boosted (or a Follow), each card is placed individually under a planet. Therefore you are not confined to placing them all on one planet, you may distribute them any way you like among the face-down planets in your Empire.

I'm sticking with this as my final answer.

I am with you you here. (I was typing above as you were posting this) See how the Edit 2 above is VERY clear. That's what I am hoping to see in the final rules. There is no way anyone could argue that. I have not dug through the threads yet so perhaps I should have held my thoughts. If nothing else I just hope that this thread makes it clear that many rule books become muddy when the writer relies on simple plurals when explaining a game where plurals can apply to the number of choices or the number that may be chosen.

Thanks for finding and posting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhitmojo wrote:
DougOrleans wrote:

My understanding is that when using the colonize role, you may split the colonize cards that you are following (or boosting) with amongst multiple planets.

Adam is correct. Add it to the in-rulebook FAQ we will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Michael. I don't think it needs to be in the FAQ, as long as the rule itself is more clearly worded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DougOrleans wrote:
Thanks, Michael. I don't think it needs to be in the FAQ, as long as the rule itself is more clearly worded.

What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, the rules need to be more clear than they are, and we will improve them before the game is printed. Threads like this are perfect for letting us know which sections aren't clear, because as you point out, something that's clear to me may not be clear to others.

Indeed, when colonizing, you place each Colonize icon individually, each one can only go on one planet (obviously), but the next one can go on a different planet if you like.

When attacking, you are only allowed to attack *1* planet at a time. Similarly, when Settling, you may only flip 1 planet at a time.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Indeed, the rules need to be more clear than they are, and we will improve them before the game is printed. Threads like this are perfect for letting us know which sections aren't clear, because as you point out, something that's clear to me may not be clear to others.

Indeed, when colonizing, you place each Colonize icon individually, each one can only go on one planet (obviously), but the next one can go on a different planet if you like.

When attacking, you are only allowed to attack *1* planet at a time. Similarly, when Settling, you may only flip 1 planet at a time.

Hope that helps!

Much clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.