GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,872 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Searching borders.com for boardgames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Mazur
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Please feel free to point out that I'm just being an idiot. I'm really hoping I am, as I've spent close to an hour playing with their site now.

That said, is there any good way to search borders.com for boardgames? If I find a company that's on there I can click on them as an author and usually find all their stuff. I've also had some luck with the similar items lists to find other game companies that way. But I can't find any way to tell the site to show me all the boardgames they have available. It's not a department and most of the games seem to be listed as hardcover books for some reason.

Girlfriend works there and has the paid membership and some borders bucks, so we're looking for a game to blow it on. Just having trouble finding them with their oh so special site design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Border's site sucks. I recently contacted them via their on-line form telling them this (but I was a bit more diplomatic). Odd, I haven't heard anything back yet. I must not be as of valued of customer as I'd have hoped.

I usually search by Border's by publisher if I'm browsing or by Title if I have a purpose.

Border's does have some really great coupons, but unless its the 40% one, more often than not I can find the item for the same price or slightly cheaper on Amazon and that's without a coupon.

So, if you couple Border's lack of a games section with their MSRP pricing, I find that it generally discourages my impulse buying through them (and isn't that the whole purpose of the coupons?). I generally only buy from Border's if I have a 40% off coupon AND they have something I want. Oh, and if you find something on sale at Borders, the coupon isn't applied to the sale price but to the original price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Schumm
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are better off just picking it out at the store. Many/most if not all of their good games are not available on the website. At the local borders near us they have Small World, Carcassone, and Battlestar Galactica to name a few.

It is the same thing with a lot of the toys. We like to get gifts there with the coupons and what not but the website is only useful for books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mazur
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
The problem is the nearest physical store is over an hour away. Whereas after you do their combo math, employee discount plus paid membership discount is a flat 39.7% off everything with free shipping. So it typically beats most other stores online. Just a pain to browse for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had some luck typing in "Diamond Comic Distributors" in the search with the drop down menu on "Books."

I hope this helps. It brings up quite a few games, and various game things.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Young
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
I have had some luck typing in "Diamond Comic Distributors" in the search with the drop down menu on "Books."

I hope this helps. It brings up quite a few games, and various game things.

LA

Thank you. I've tried searching Borders.com numerous times and had no luck even when I knew they had a bunch of games I was interested in. This does the trick exactly! Thumb given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wonderwitch wrote:
You are better off just picking it out at the store. Many/most if not all of their good games are not available on the website. At the local borders near us they have Small World, Carcassone, and Battlestar Galactica to name a few.

It is the same thing with a lot of the toys. We like to get gifts there with the coupons and what not but the website is only useful for books.

I have a Borders less than 1 minute away. It has NO good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mazur
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Late response due to Thanksgiving.

Thank you for the tip, that's probably as close to what I was looking for as I'm going to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No true that the store is better. Ours is token at best, you listed just about all the better games on 2 small shelves, local store does have Forbidden Island, which isn't on the web site. They have a lot more on line, if you can find them, which is next to impossible. It took a while to find Though the Desert and buy it online. As I recall searching for Reiner Knizia, got me Black Sheep, and another game, but not, TtD. Amazing a company is so clue less. I have sent 2 or 3 emails asking then to improve it, form type letter back.

It is nice to be able to use this coupons on line, with free ship to store.

Our only two so call game shops are full price, never a discount. Got charged $1.50 higher than MSRP for 50 sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.