GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,939 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
130 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: John Bohrer's account permanently suspended rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_community [+] bgg_shark_jump [+] [View All]
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer's account has been permanently locked due to the reasons explained below. Typically when moderation takes place it is done privately, however there are rare instances like this one where the action is inevitably going to go public due to the people involved. This post is intended to lay out the causes behind this action up-front in hopes of avoiding at least some of the speculation that is sure to follow.

There are two main reasons behind this suspension:

1. Continued inappropriate self-promotion - we recently posted this thread which included discussion of a geeklist that was deleted for being inappropriately used as a pre-order system. It came to light that the author of the geeklist wasn't doing it on John's behalf so a new geeklist has taken its place. However despite our clarifying that it is an inappropriate use of our site for John to use it to generate a mailing list for promotional purposes, John has continued to do just that and states as such in the comments of the geeklist itself: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/57532 - he may not be using geekmail, but he is still using BGG resources as a way to identify customers in violation of our policies.

In addition, we've discovered a sock puppet account used to promote the geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/553252/new-reprint-list
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/browse/region/1?usernam...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/comments/listitem/game%20pope
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/comments/geeklist/game%20pope
Wiki edit updating the link to the new geeklist

Continuing the inappropriate use of BGG resources and actively promoting the geeklist demonstrates a blatant disregard for our rules.

2. Harassment of another BGG user - a second development that has recently come to light involves an interaction John has had with another BGG user. I won't share the full contents of the email exchange that we were forwarded, however as some details have already been made public in the geeklist comments I feel it is appropriate to also share them here.

The user thumbed a game on the Winsome reprint list and also emailed John asking for copies and any announcements of reprinted games. John emailed to offer him a copy of something based on his thumb. When the other user declined, John's response was to insult the user multiple times and also included several personal details that John acquired through internet searches such as the user's real first name, employer, occupation, and age. When the user commented in the geeklist about John's actions, John publicly posted some of these personal details in the geeklist.

Either of these would have been enough to get a response. I have permanently suspended accounts on the basis of private harassment alone. When combined with a blatant disregard for our other site rules, Aldie, Derk and I have all agreed that we no longer want John as a user here.

I fully realize that this will be an unpopular decision despite what we feel is more than adequate reason. However this decision is final. We appreciate John's contributions to the hobby of board gaming and wish him success with his future endeavors. But it is time that he and BGG part ways.

-MMM

• [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
and also included several personal details that John acquired through internet searches such as the user's real first name, employer, occupation, and age. When the user commented in the geeklist about John's actions John publicly posted some of these personal details in the geeklist.

Wow, just wow...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Info
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
A shame, whatever you may think of him as a person, he does publish some great games.

Guess I'll have to start looking in a few other places on the web rather than just BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on those facts it is a good decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Garry wrote:

Guess I'll have to start looking in a few other places on the web rather than just BGG.

Just to be clear, this is only impacting a single user's account status. Not any game entries, geeklists, etc. If you want to find John Bohrer then you will indeed need to look elsewhere, but that's the only change here.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope this does not harm BGG more than his promotional efforts here.

I am personally ambivalent about all this. I think, BGG is a great platform for smaller publishers to stay in contact with the customers, so why not using it? OTOH, I understand the background of BGG policies behind this action, especially after reading John`s comments on the geeklist in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stalking and harassing another member for any reason is atrocious behavior, but doing so because you decided thumbing meant something more than 'I like this'? John, if you're reading this, get some help. It's sad to see the creator of great games such as Chicago Express go out this way. I hope you get better, and find a way to gracefully return to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
Stalking and harassing another member for any reason is atrocious behavior, but doing so because you decided thumbing meant something more than 'I like this'? John, if you're reading this, get some help. It's sad to see the creator of great games such as Chicago Express go out this way. I hope you get better, and find a way to gracefully return to BGG.

Not to meander off topic, but the listed creator for Chicago Express is "Harry Wu". Is that not correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Not to meander off topic, but the listed creator for Chicago Express is "Harry Wu". Is that not correct?

Riiiight. The mysterious Mister Wu whom nobody has ever met, and most likely another one of JB's sock puppets. Yet another nugget from JB's bizarre legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like the right decision to me. The harrassment prioritised as the first reason is also appropriate.

Good call guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
oh, that's JUST great! thanks a lot, and for nothing! Now, exactly whom am I supposed to sell this "Railroad Bridge of Brooklyn" to? Where's that other "R.R." fellow always associated with HIM?!? Somebody needs to take this OFF of my hands, for which I'm also washing of the entire incident.
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bold decision!

I support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wonder why people would go out of their way to make trouble for themselves. John made his bed and now he has to lie in it. Hopefully some sort of good can come out of this situation.

Why is it so tough for some people just to be nice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Winsome Games, and I can't say I always support Octavian's decisions as a moderator (or BGG's policy towards the promotion geeklists), but this does sound fair. Atrocious behavior is atrocious behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
This looks like the right decision to me. The harrassment prioritised as the first reason is also appropriate.

Good call guys

Yup, it's one thing to disagree with someone, but to harass them repeatedly is not cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
Golly, this guy is a huge jerk but I guess I will have to keep buying his games because what other company makes games about trains?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
Golly, this guy is a huge jerk but I guess I will have to keep buying his games because what other company makes games about trains?

• [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Was the sock puppet discovery based on IP address? I'm not seeing the actions of someone intent on seriously shilling Winsome games based on your links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
His actions show that the internet can be a scary place. I'm in full support of the action BGG has taken here. I would rather not have someone on the site that searches for personal details about me and tries to threaten/intimidate me with them.

The kind of actions John took were against the rules of the site, but I believe they were also against the CULTURE of this site. It's just something the users here don't do. I trust just about anyone on this site and I still do even after this incident.

Oh, can I get his geekgold and thumbs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
binraix wrote:
Bold decision!

I support!

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
I'm a fan of Winsome Games, and I can't say I always support Octavian's decisions as a moderator (or BGG's policy towards the promotion geeklists), but this does sound fair. Atrocious behavior is atrocious behavior.

Me too. At times, I've found Octavian to be a bit heavy handed, and I would have definitely preferred this news come from Aldie, who I've always found to be patient, fair and a reluctant soldier in the policing of BGG.

But thank Octavian for his very clear explanation of the incident, and think this is a good decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:

My great grand parents said the same about Mussolini... I mean, what are we to do? What other dictator made the trains run on time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial reaction was WTF? Is BGG just trying to find ways to make me want to visit less?

Then, I realized that it was just another example of the identity confusion that BGG suffers from (is it a business or someone's clubhouse?) combined with the usual unclear and inconsistently applied policies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. I was always in the Martin Wallace camp anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.