Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc
Germany
Pliezhausen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Memoir '44 game system has a ton of expansions by now, and to be honest, I totally lost the overview.

I want to know what exactly do I need to enjoy Memoir with more than 2 Players (preferably with 4)? I know there is an Overlord-expansion, but I have no clue what else I have to buy to play Overlord scenarios. Even worse: now there are also these Breakthrough-battlemaps and these expansions with the pre-setup-maps that can also used for Overlord... as I said in the beginning, I totally lost the overview what I need and what expansions I can combine to get the full multiplayer experience.

Is there by any chance a guide/help sheet online that leads me through the jungle of Memoir 44 expansions and tells me exactly what I get for the money and what I need to enjoy the mulitplayer-battles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are 4 guys, buy two games and play the overlord scenarios where each player control a flank and ½ of the center!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I got a deal for you, too bad you are in Europe I am actually selling/trading two base sets, each of the army expansions and the campaign bag with a breakout map and desert/winter board. That would be perfect for some 4 player action.

In all seriousness, I would say start with the base game and the overlord expansion. That will give you the cheapest entry into finding out if you like the game multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To start, buy Operation Overlord and the Battle Maps you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from Overlord, another interesting way to play with four if you have two base sets is to play side-by-side 2-player games, setting up the same scenario on each board.

We used that a few times to teach beginner's the game and it worked well, because the experienced player on each board could give tips to the beginner on the opposite board and it was also fun to see the different ways a scenario may play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
Germany
Pliezhausen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, thanks for all those quick replies! What is the best Battle Map right now? And do I need a 2nd base game so that I can play without the tokens that come with the Overlord expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elektro wrote:
Oh, thanks for all those quick replies! What is the best Battle Map right now? And do I need a 2nd base game so that I can play without the tokens that come with the Overlord expansion?

My favorite is Tigers In The Snow. Great scenario, but the Market Garden map on the flip side is fantastic. I haven't played the new one yet, Dieppe and Tobruk, but that looks promising, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Operation Overlord has tokens plus the extra Overlord Command card set. This command card set will help you a lot. Just buy this one, the second set can come later. You play with different armies: I have every set, and so I can use Russians + Allies vs. Germans + Japanese for example. No extra base set needed. But it depends on the scenario if this will work (terrain tile wise). The unit tokens do actually help, cause three cardboard tanks plus one miniature will fit better that four tanks for an elite unit...

I would recommend the Tigers in the Snow Battle map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quote Oliver.

I have 1 base and the Overlord.
The Overlord have no use if you don't
a) buy another Base, or the "old" map expansion.
or
b) buy at least one of the Battle Maps.

About a):
this is 'cause overlord needs to be wider than the base map.
If you buy the map expansion, you may find that then you're short of terrain tiles. Now, if i were willing to buy other expansions, i'd buy two breakthru maps.... expensive, but at least i can play everything on them (you can play standard and overlord scenarios just ignoring some hex row). Imho, everything that fits in option a) is a bit expensive.

About b):
the only true drawback is that the maps are printed on paper and folded.
The paper may rip along one of the fold.
Another drawback (that depends on you) is that you have to put carboard chits with the base miniatures 'cause they're not enough for the scenarios in the maps. I can't care less, but someone may want to see only one kind of pawns.
I'm really happy to have bought the battle maps: they're so big that you can play a single scenarion a lot of time, changing side sometimes, before feeling that you have "mastered" it.
If you're cheap like me, go buy the Battle maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And another advantage of the Battle Maps: they are fast! No terrain to set up, all unit placement is printed on the map. There is no faster way to start a Memoir session (except VASSAL... erm, I mean Memoir'44 Online ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
Germany
Pliezhausen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, you all convinced me (very fast)! Overlord expansion and a Battle Map (preferably Tigers in the Snow) is the way to go. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually played several games with four players just using the base set. We have two on each side (or two versus one when there are only three players) who work together to make decisions and take turns rolling dice. The rulebook offers more details about how to make this work for up to six people.

I'm sure the Overlord expansion adds great fun to the game (they all do), but don't overlook the simple solution offered in the rulebook. I was actually surprised how well multiplayer worked with just the base set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the Overlord card deck in the Overlord-Expansion, is it (or a second base game) only required to provide more units?

Would it be enough to have one base game and two army packs (Mediterranean and East Front) to play the battle maps? (again, ignoring the Overlord cards for now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laserschwert wrote:
Apart from the Overlord card deck in the Overlord-Expansion, is it (or a second base game) only required to provide more units?

Would it be enough to have one base game and two army packs (Mediterranean and East Front) to play the battle maps? (again, ignoring the Overlord cards for now)

Yes. That works fine. I have used overlord maps with 4 players and one regular card deck. The players split the map and each plays a card. It works very well and if you run out of cards, which I never have, just reshuffle the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.