Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Bennett
United States
Grinnell
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is a no-hoper or not, but...

My mom's birthday is coming up, and I thought it might be a good idea to get her a game instead of my default gift of a book about Ireland or saints.

Here are the particulars: She'll be 78, good health and eyesight. My dad is almost 80 and has cancer. I have no idea, good or bad, how long he'll be with us.

Growing up we played Scrabble, Perquackey, Parcheesi, Clue. Dad was never one for the word games. They used to play Pinochle with another couple.

I don't live near my parents, but my 3 brothers and 1 sister do. There's a chance any of them could be snookered into a game. It's important that it play well with 2, though.

I'm sure my mom wouldn't be into heavily confrontational games. It would need to be easy to learn. Any ideas? The whole notion may be a reach, but I thought I'd sound all of you before I head to the book store for the latest saint book.

Thanks.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities has been well received by all non-gamers to which I have taught the game.

It has simple rules and a high angst factor.

It appeals to almost any type of gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities was the first that sprung to mind for me as well when reading the comment on card games.

Some other thoughts:
Alhambra is a very approachable and fun game that works well with two +

Some other cards games to consider:
Coloretto (Typically not considered for two players but just use four piles and each player claims two to end the round)
Mamma Mia!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kilgore
United States
Sturgeon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery Rummy #1 (Jack the Ripper), perhaps. It has the advantage of being similar to games already played, but has a nice twist to it. Players: 2-4.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weirdly enough, the big hit with my MIL in her declining years was videogames played on the TV. She was addicted to Super Mario and got my FIL hooked as well. My parents seem to be playing lots of computer games these days (Collapse?), so I'm guessing that some combination of bright colors, big screens, and sedentariness really works for some older people.

May not have been what you were looking for, but because it was such a huge/surprise hit that I thought I should mention it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ρύπρεχτ
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Lost Cities. No question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zepter!... I mean... Lost Cities for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
Had my 68 year old mom over for dinner a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I taught her how to play Ticket to Ride. She picked it right up. It was the most fun I had with her in a decade. She even called two days later to ask what the name was. Wife and I will play a two player game of TtR on occasion. Very non confrontational. But Lost Cities is ideal for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bennett
United States
Grinnell
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I chickened out and got her a genealogy reference book. I just had this nagging doubt that any game I got her would languish on the shelf. We're leaving in the morning, and I intend to take 2 or 3 games from my own collection that might appeal and see if any of them fly. If she's a geek-in-the-making, I'll be acting on your suggestions!

Thanks everyone.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.