GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Game Cruises with Scott rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently booked on a
7-day cruise to the Mexican Rivera
that departs out of San Diego
on Holland America (ms OOSTERDAM)
on January 8th.

There are three days at sea, and I thought..

"It would be cool to have some other people on that ship who liked modern board games."

I have taken games on previous cruises, and it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work.

You can currently book the cruise through Lastminutecruises.com for $449 per person for an inside cabin ($499 for a view). http://www.lastminutecruises.com/booking/PageCruiseDealsSele...

The information at the Holland America site is at
http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDet...
(slightly higher prices through HA)

I'm not offering anything special or any package or any paid placement anything... (although the idea of having a Board Games with Scott cruise is an interesting idea).

I'm just saying that I'm booked on this cruise, and I'd love to have others to play games with for those three days (and six nights) at sea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds great, have a awesome time, I am sure you can get non gamers on board interested if you set some cool looking games up, but of course have serious gamers about would make it a lot easier all said and done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfway through a game of Roads and Boats, the ship lists hard to one side and the bits go crashing to the floor.

Actually it sounds like it could be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
Halfway through a game of Roads and Boats, the ship lists hard to one side and the bits go crashing to the floor.

We took a five-night cruise on Royal Caribbean to Bermuda and got in a ton of boardgaming. Ran into some CCG players who hadn't played modern games and taught them Dominion, San Juan, and Memoir and played for days. That was a confluence of circumstances (mediocre weather outside, ship had two nice card rooms that were always lightly occupied, ran into nice people) but I'd be inclined to say that cruises are generally an excellent place for board games (provided you make sure there's a place to play them, that would be the only hiccup I could see).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be awesome, but unfortunately I can't make it.

Three of my favorite things in one trip! Board games, the sea, and Scott!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know there are organized poker cruises, so why not a board game cruise? Be it cruise or some other resort setting where there's something to do besides board gaming (frolic during the day, game at night), I've often thought that such a combo would make an excellent vacation.

Have fun - wish I could afford to join you this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Champipple
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Good idea.

I always take Carcassonne with me on resort vacations. When playing with my wife, there's always people coming over I can introduce to the game, and it's cheap enough that if it gets damaged I don't care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's it! BGG.CON cruise of 2011! Can someone get Derek or Aldie in here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
but I'd be inclined to say that cruises are generally an excellent place for board games (provided you make sure there's a place to play them, that would be the only hiccup I could see).

Outside of prime mealtimes, there are usually plenty of places to sit and play games in and around the Lido deck / main buffet area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
snicholson wrote:
AstroLad wrote:
but I'd be inclined to say that cruises are generally an excellent place for board games (provided you make sure there's a place to play them, that would be the only hiccup I could see).

Outside of prime mealtimes, there are usually plenty of places to sit and play games in and around the Lido deck / main buffet area.

*Ludo deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
snicholson wrote:
AstroLad wrote:

*Ludo deck

Which in Latin, means "I Play".

And why the study of games is "Ludology."

And may be why it's called that in the first place. Lu-Doh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
No, you got it right!

I was just making a gamer pun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
No, you got it right!

I was just making a gamer pun!

ohhhh.

I thought I was just being stupid.. then I was smart.. then I was stupid again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They suggested a gaming cruise before, there was tons of interest, but it never happened.

We would love to meet up with some other gamers. We're booked on:

Allure Of The Seas 30-Jan-2011 from Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Enchantment Of The Seas 11-Apr-2011 from Baltimore, Maryland

Explorer Of The Seas 08-Oct-2011 from Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey

Radiance Of The Seas 22-Apr-2012 from Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:

Games that should have magnetic travel versions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

That was our ship! But that's dangerously close to BGG.Con!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's one of the reasons we won't be at bgg.con next year. Probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They suggested a gaming cruise before, there was tons of interest, but it never happened.

Yeah, what happened with this? BGG said they were considering it based on interest, and there was a TON of interest. I've actually posted a couple of times asking if this was going to happen, but never got any response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Muller
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always a ton of interest in these things until people actually have to pony up the cash. We're trying to set up a "normal" (not boardgame themed) cruise with a group to sail from Seattle to Alaska next summer and half the people that were "totally in" from the beginning immediately bailed once my wife and I booked. Thanks, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys may want to check out http://www.gameradventures.com/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulymuller wrote:
There's always a ton of interest in these things until people actually have to pony up the cash. We're trying to set up a "normal" (not boardgame themed) cruise with a group to sail from Seattle to Alaska next summer and half the people that were "totally in" from the beginning immediately bailed once my wife and I booked. Thanks, guys.

In this case, I'm going the opposite way - this is a cruise I'm going on, and I'd love to have some other boardgamers along. But I decided on the cruise first, so if I end up sitting on the LidoLudo deck playing game after game of Castle Ravenloft, High Frontier, and Arkham Horror in my speedos, taking in the sunshine, so be it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I really wish we had the money for this - it sounds like a blast!! The Mayan Riviera in Mexico is a beautiful place too, and I'd love to go snorkeling there again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We would love to meet up with some other gamers. We're booked on:

Allure Of The Seas 30-Jan-2011 from Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Enchantment Of The Seas 11-Apr-2011 from Baltimore, Maryland

Radiance Of The Seas 22-Apr-2012 from Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Another Royal Caribbean fan, I see. We were booked on the Allure sailing you are going on, but my daughter-in-law got pregnant (they're going with us) and we had to move it up several weeks to get within their "pregnancy window". not allowed to cruise after the 25th week. Therefor we're cruising on the 8th on the Oasis of the Seas. Fabulous ships those two big ones with TONS of places to play games.

To the OP, we've been on that SanDiego cruise with Holland and it's great. Ship has some nice places to play. Try the Crow's nest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
paulymuller wrote:

In this case, I'm going the opposite way - this is a cruise I'm going on, and I'd love to have some other boardgamers along. But I decided on the cruise first, so if I end up sitting on the LidoLudo deck playing game after game of Castle Ravenloft, High Frontier, and Arkham Horror in my speedos, taking in the sunshine, so be it...

In my experience, this is the best way to get anything like this rolling. I usually find I have to make plans, invite others to join, and then hope for a nice turnout. Otherwise, the planning becomes a huge headache that never goes anywhere.

If we hadn't just taken a trip to Disney World, I'd be on board (womp womp).

I hope you have a great time and get to play lots of games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.