Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
We did a session of Arkham Horror tonight, it was our third play and we played with two players. We got Yig as the Ancient One. My wife played with Monterey Jack and me with Amanda Sharpe.

We started out with a bit of luck. The first monster on the board was immediatly removed after it moved because of the mythos effect. We directly started moving around, I went into the first gate. No problem there but in my first other world encounter I was lost in time and space, since this happened Yig got his first doomcounter. In the next turn my wife went in another game. Why is was standing up in Lost in Time and Space a second gate had opened. My wife then had the bad luck of getting lost in time and space to, so there went the doomtrack. The next gate opened and another doomcounter came with it. So we where already at 5 doomcounters (from the possible 10) at the end of two rounds.

When our characters came back in the game we both went for the gates again. This time we where lucky enough and could both close a gate, my wife could even seal her gate. A couple of rounds I could also close a gate. We also had the luck that there didn't came to much monsters to the board so the terror track did not move a lot. It ended only at two at the end of the game.

A special event in the Miscatonic University Science Building made that Amanda Sharpe left her body and now Michael McGlen, the gangster came in the game in her place. This gave the character a bit more firepower for the end fight. Plus Amanda had lost a couple of health and sanity already so it would come in handy.

We both now went again to the other realms to investigate and close the gates. My wife had a bit of bad luck since she got cursed twice in the game. She lost a lot of her sanity and at the end with only one spot remaining on the doomtrack she had an other world encounter with which she was lost in time and space. The doomtrack was full and Yig awakened devouring my wife's character. So it was fully up to the gangster to take him out. At first he was cursed and now he also needed to make speedchecks. Two of these went wrong costing him two of his three sanity and 2 of his seven health. The curse stayed a couple of rounds but luckily the gangster had his trusted Tommy Gun and the Ancient One wasn't that strong. So Michael McGlen ended the game saving Arkham on his own.

It was rather a quick game we finished it in an hour and a half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Long
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done.
It took our fourth try to win (three player/three investigators). Ever since then when the wife an I play we both take two investigators. Maybe we should go back to two and see what happens. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
We did a session of Arkham Horror tonight, it was our third play and we played with two players. We got Yig as the Ancient One. My wife played with Monterey Jack and me with Amanda Sharpe.

We started out with a bit of luck. The first monster on the board was immediatly removed after it moved because of the mythos effect. We directly started moving around, I went into the first gate. No problem there but in my first other world encounter I was lost in time and space, since this happened Yig got his first doomcounter. In the next turn my wife went in another game. Why is was standing up in Lost in Time and Space a second gate had opened. My wife then had the bad luck of getting lost in time and space to, so there went the doomtrack. The next gate opened and another doomcounter came with it. So we where already at 5 doomcounters (from the possible 10) at the end of two rounds.

When our characters came back in the game we both went for the gates again. This time we where lucky enough and could both close a gate, my wife could even seal her gate. A couple of rounds I could also close a gate. We also had the luck that there didn't came to much monsters to the board so the terror track did not move a lot. It ended only at two at the end of the game.

A special event in the Miscatonic University Science Building made that Amanda Sharpe left her body and now Michael McGlen, the gangster came in the game in her place. This gave the character a bit more firepower for the end fight. Plus Amanda had lost a couple of health and sanity already so it would come in handy.

We both now went again to the other realms to investigate and close the gates. My wife had a bit of bad luck since she got cursed twice in the game. She lost a lot of her sanity and at the end with only one spot remaining on the doomtrack she had an other world encounter with which she was lost in time and space. The doomtrack was full and Yig awakened devouring my wife's character. So it was fully up to the gangster to take him out. At first he was cursed and now he also needed to make speedchecks. Two of these went wrong costing him two of his three sanity and 2 of his seven health. The curse stayed a couple of rounds but luckily the gangster had his trusted Tommy Gun and the Ancient One wasn't that strong. So Michael McGlen ended the game saving Arkham on his own.

It was rather a quick game we finished it in an hour and a half.

Hey Barad,

What's the best NUMBER of investigators and who are the best INVESTIGATORS to use in this game, because I've never won and played it quite some times. It's getting so frustrating that I'm losing interest in it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mb
Good question, it's only the third time we have played this game. And the first time was over a year ago. I think there are far more experienced players here on the geek who can help you with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldar Closer
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neo.colpaert wrote:

What's the best NUMBER of investigators and who are the best INVESTIGATORS to use in this game, because I've never won and played it quite some times. It's getting so frustrating that I'm losing interest in it!

I'm also a new player that plays with AH and a few Lurker's components.
Do not add expansions that are for experienced players that like to play many investigators.

You'll probably get the best results with 4 investigators.
Get Mandy and Joe Diamond.
Then add any two of these, depending on your strategy: Harvey (with a good weapon can face tough monsters); Lee (Stamina recovery); Darrel (good all round); McGlen (firepower); or Jenny (cash).

This should provide you with a win rate well over 50%.

If you draw the Terrible Experiment just gang on with all you can to eliminate that card.

If you want a fairly sure win: get Nyarlathothep, Ithaqua or Yig and amass weapons and clues to defeat them in the final battle.
Yig only: save some trophy's to get blessed by the endgame.
Ithaqua: a litle more sophisticated, but get Allies at Ma's that give Fight bonuses as soon as you can. Do not waist precious clues closing gates, instead close them and trade for more clues and Allies.

In all the above cases:
Close gates and do not seal them unless you feel you have a load.
If you do seal, seal only Unvisited Isle, Witch House, Woods, Black Cave and Independence Square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldarest wrote:
neo.colpaert wrote:

I'm also a new player that plays with AH and a few Lurker's components.
Do not add expansions that are for experienced players that like to play many investigators.

You'll probably get the best results with 4 investigators.
Get Mandy and Joe Diamond.
Then add any two of these, depending on your strategy: Harvey (with a good weapon can face tough monsters); Lee (Stamina recovery); Darrel (good all round); McGlen (firepower); or Jenny (cash).

This should provide you with a win rate well over 50%.

If you draw the Terrible Experiment just gang on with all you can to eliminate that card.

If you want a fairly sure win: get Nyarlathothep, Ithaqua or Yig and amass weapons and clues to defeat them in the final battle.
Yig only: save some trophy's to get blessed by the endgame.
Ithaqua: a litle more sophisticated, but get Allies at Ma's that give Fight bonuses as soon as you can. Do not waist precious clues closing gates, instead close them and trade for more clues and Allies.

In all the above cases:
Close gates and do not seal them unless you feel you have a load.
If you do seal, seal only Unvisited Isle, Witch House, Woods, Black Cave and Independence Square.

Thx a lot! I'll try again according to your strategy. Fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mb
Good luck, Yig is indeed one that you can easily beat. But he can come into play rather quickly. Only 10 doomtrack points and lost in time and space increases him. Ow and don't kill any cultist because that triggers him faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx Barad,

With the tips I've got, I'm going to try to kick some Yig-ass!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.