Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making this thread to discuss a few ideas I had for extra civilizations for the game. Feel free to discuss these and suggest your own!

Greece
Starting Tech: Philosophy
Whenever you gain a Great Person, you may choose which one you receieve and gain one resource from the market.

Arabia
Starting Tech: Theology
Fundamentalism government
When you defeat a village, take any resource from the market in addition to the village token. When you destroy a city, you receive a gold in addition to the normal reward.

France
Starting Tech: Chivalry
Feudalism government
You may build multiple starred buildings in a city, but only one of each type.

England
Starting Tech: Monarchy
Monarchy government
Your scouts may move and land in water, regardless of tech. Your combat hand size is increased by one when you battle in or adjacent to a water tile.

India
Starting Tech: Irrigation
Once per turn, when you take a Harvest Resource action, you may harvest resources from two different spaces instead of one.

Feel free to add others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very cool stuff here, Cameron! (Hard to judge it since I haven't got the game yet, but it looks like a fun addition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ones, though some feedback:

France is a no-no, for two reasons: 1) The rule of only allowing one starred building per city is there for a reason - to force more interesting gameplay choices. By giving France this ability, you're taking away from the game. 2) There are a very limited number of starred building available in the market (five of each, I think). This makes them even more limited - just as if you're adding two more players into the game but not adding more buildings!

Greece seems like it might be a tad over-powered (you can just keep taking the great person that supplies coins for an easy coin victory). Maybe draw 2, keep 1...?

The usefulness of India's special ability is determined by how possible it is to get two resources in the outskirts of a single city. I haven't looked at the map tiles properly yet, so can't say for certain...

Personally, I'm looking forward to more wonders (I already have an alternate mechanic in mind for bringing new wonders into the game, but it would only work with a minimum of 6-8 wonders per age).

First game tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

The usefulness of India's special ability is determined by how possible it is to get two resources in the outskirts of a single city. I haven't looked at the map tiles properly yet, so can't say for certain...

Scouts make this irrelevant as they can sit on resources and send them back to whichever city. The rest of your feedback is pretty solid though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
It seems a bit early for this (I haven't even played a game as every civilization yet), but I must admit that I did scribble down some ideas of my own while on break from work yesterday.

Mongols
Start With 2 Extra Cavalry Units.
+1 to Stacking Limit.
When you win a battle, you may collect 2 different rewards. (So you can take a resource and 3 trade when defeating an army or scout or you can take a culture card and research a tech when defeating a city)
Starting Tech: Horseback Riding

Spanish
When you flip over a ile, you may orient it any way you like.
When you conquer a village or city, you may take 1 random hut token from the reserves.
You start with 1 Coin on your civilization sheet.
Starting Tech: Navigation

Aztecs
Everytime you win a battle, move up a space on the culture track.
Your Capital produces +1 Culture when devoted to the arts.
Starting Tech: Pottery

I also had different versions of some of the ones you came up with:

Greeks
You start with 1 Level I Culture Card.
Whenever you would draw a great person, draw 2 and choose one to keep.
Starting Tech: Democracy
Starting Government: Democracy

English
Whenever one of your cities is attacked, you may draw 1 unit of your choice (you may only draw airplanes if you have researched Flight).
Whenever you explore a Hut, draw another random hut token from the reserves and choose 1 to keep.
Starting Tech: Sailing

Admittedly, all of these may be a little over powered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daring Dragoon wrote:

Admittedly, all of these may be a little over powered.

I don't think they sound overpowered. They sound like really good ideas. For Aztecs rather than the capital bonus I like better
When Aztec military units are fighting an equal or lower tech level unit they get +1 to their attack strength and take one less damage.

So a lvl 1 Aztec infantry Str 2 fighting a level 1 Archer Str 2 would take 1 damage from the archer (because of trumping) and then deal 3 damage. But a level 2 ranged unit would kill him before he could attack (as he would get no bonuses and even the weakest would do 2 damage). Also it wouldn't change the end of battle ST for the Aztec just help him eliminate units at an equal or lower tech level than himself. (Representing his supremacy over the surrounding tribes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Good ones, though some feedback:

France is a no-no, for two reasons: 1) The rule of only allowing one starred building per city is there for a reason - to force more interesting gameplay choices. By giving France this ability, you're taking away from the game. 2) There are a very limited number of starred building available in the market (five of each, I think). This makes them even more limited - just as if you're adding two more players into the game but not adding more buildings!

It's still questionable whether building more than one star building is actually worthwhile. I've played games where I didn't build a single one (mainly because my buildings were plenty loaded up with wonders and great people). It also forces you to get techs that unlock star buildings (again, this is a choice you don't just make automatically). I like France the least of these, but I don't think it's terrible.

Quote:
Greece seems like it might be a tad over-powered (you can just keep taking the great person that supplies coins for an easy coin victory). Maybe draw 2, keep 1...?

You don't get that many great people throughout the game. Getting enough great people so that this becomes abusable would require you to put a significant amount of effort into culture. The idea here is that the Greek can go for culture and do very well, or get a little bit of culture and pick exactly the great person they need to get the victory they want (instead of just using luck of the draw). They could get several copies of the same great person, but to do so they'd have to actually get several great people.

Quote:

Someone else mentioned this. It's all about the scouts! There will be times that you aren't able to use this ability if you can't get your scout on a resource, and that was intended. If you could use it every turn, it would be a bit powerful. As it is, it just places more importance on resources (for your neighbors as well, who want to stop you from double-harvesting)

Quote:
Personally, I'm looking forward to more wonders (I already have an alternate mechanic in mind for bringing new wonders into the game, but it would only work with a minimum of 6-8 wonders per age).

First game tomorrow!

Let me know how it goes! I think you'll find with the way that tech works (simply building everything is not viable) and the limited availability of great people, you might have a different perspective on some of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

France
Feudalism government
You may build multiple starred buildings in a city, but only one of each type.

I like. A couple versions perhaps:

Leader: Napolean
Starting Tech: Mathematics (powerful start tech, artillery lvl 2)
Despotism
When defending, add +2 to your final total. When you win a battle, take one resource of your choice from the market.

Leader: Louis XIV
Despotism
When you build a building, gain one culture token. When you build a wonder, move up one space on the culture track.

Any starting tech which gives a military upgrade is powerful. I think coupling it with a free government as well is very powerful.
Also, theme by leader!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
To be historically accurate, Austria would have to have "anything bad that would happen to you happens to Germany instead"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ho hd
Malaysia
flag msg tools
18xx, Go and Puerto Rico Rocks!!!
badge
Go is a great game. Let's play Go!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gustav Mahler will be a Great Person for Austria at start and gives Austria 10 culture points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Babylon
Starting Tech: Masonry
You may place techs one row higher or lower than normal your tech pyramid. The require trade increases by one level if you do (putting a level 4 tech in the third row requires 26 trade, for instance. Putting space flight in row 4 is not possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thorpe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Getting a level 2 military unit as a starting tech will make taking villages trivial right off the bat, allowing you to ignore military for those crucial first turns of city actions, or go on a very strong offensive before others get their military in order. I dont think you could give such a tech without giving the same civ a significantly weaker special ability.

Other than that caveat, some of these are very cool

-Kyrinthic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wester
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
England
Leader: Elizabeth I
Starting tech: Navigation
Ability: Your units may end their turn in water. You start the game with two Scouts, and have a third Scout unbuilt (like the Russian 7th army). You may place Great Generals on ocean squares.
Starting government: Despotism
Notes: Ocean squares on all 12 outer squares of the starting tile. This puts them at a disadvantage in hammers, so perhaps allow them to start with one Harbor. The extra Scouts represent the English trade network. The Great Admiral thing is just kind of a fluff ability, and maybe unbalanced. Meh.

France:
Leader: Louis XIV
Starting tech: Monarchy
Ability: Once per turn, when you Devote a city to the arts, you may lower your Economic dial by 1 to draw a Culture Card of your current level.
Starting government: Monarchy
Notes: Spending your Coins for Culture Cards represents--in a roundabout way--Versailles and Louis' other expensive projects. Lowering your dial (instead of phrasing it as "Spending coin") also should make it clear to the player that you don't remove a coin from, say, Pottery. If you've got four coins on a tech and use your ability, then that tech still has its four coins.

Greece
Leader: Solon
Starting tech: Philosophy
Ability: When you gain a Great Person, you may replace one corner's symbol with a Trade, Production, or Culture symbol.
Notes: I liked the initially proposed Greece (pick your own Great Person) but realized that'd make Economic wins ridiculously easy for them. This unfortunately makes Great Generals a little bit of a liability, since they've only got one symbol to replace, and last I checked no one would want to replace a static +4 with a trade icon. But, hey, Alexander was Macedonian. So, y'know... There.

Mongolia
Leader: Ghengis Khan
Starting tech: Horseback riding.
Ability: When you draw a battle hand, before the battle begins you may discard any number of your units, shuffle them back into your deck, and redraw an equal number of units.
Notes: Horseback riding might be powerful to start with, but there's just no other way to represent everyone's favorite conquerors. The ability is strong as well, but has a little bit of a balancing liability in that you can quite possibly re-draw some of the discarded units.

Spain
Leader: Ferdinand y Isabella
Starting tech: Theology
Ability: Your Scouts count as army figures. If you may have one Cathedral and one other Starred building in each city.
Starting government: Fundamentalism
Notes: Scouts represent Conquistadors, and allowing a Cathedral in addition to another star-building represents the fact that I hate Cathedrals and think they're a worthless building. *cough* Sorry to editorialize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Kreiner-Møller
Denmark
København Ø
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every civilization have some kind of starting bonus (Germany has two extra infantry) and then an ability. I think that when you develop new civilizations you should have this in mind.

I really like the idea of new civilizations since it increases the replayability a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wester
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Err... Rome doesn't start with anything. Well, a government, but that's about the extent of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Daring Dragoon wrote:
Aztecs
Everytime you win a battle, move up a space on the culture track.
Your Capital produces +1 Culture when devoted to the arts.

I was thinking about the Aztecs too. I think your version sounds too much like the Romans, though, except the Romans are better (both gain culture by beating up villages, but building a single monument for the Romans in Age III is better than spending seven turns dedicated to culture with your version). Instead, I was thinking of something like the flower wars---taking prisoners to sacrifice. How about:
Aztecs
Your capitol starts with a temple adjacent. For each enemy unit you destroy, you gain culture equal to its strength. For each figure you destroy, you gain culture equal to its cost. For each city you destroy, you gain culture equal to its defense. You may also destroy one of your own units and figures each turn for the same return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Kreiner-Møller
Denmark
København Ø
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NicWester wrote:
Err... Rome doesn't start with anything. Well, a government, but that's about the extent of it.

Well a goverment is also some starting bonus and not a special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny A
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Civilization: France
Leader: Napoleon
Traits: During City Management, you may trade three trade for one culture, as many times as you want. When moving up the culture track, you may use culture in place for trade (at 1:1 ratio). After conquering a city, instead of taking tech, culture cards, etc., you may take control of the city (losing its wonders, walls and/or buildings), so long as you can support another city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Quote:
After conquering a city, instead of taking tech, culture cards, etc., you may take control of the city (losing its wonders, walls and/or buildings), so long as you can support another city.

I think you'd need to delete the final part of the last sentence (so long as you can support another city). In my experience so far, not getting a third city within the first six turns or so will put you so far behind that your chances of taking someone else's city later will be very small. Also, I suspect that taking someone else's tech would usually be more valuable than a stripped city anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dunn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I've come up with. Let me know what ya think?

Mongolia
Tech: Horseback Riding
Traits: -Start with 1 additional mounted unit
-once per turn, when taking the build city action, you may build
two things so long as one is a mounted unit

Japan
Tech: Chivalry
Traits: -Your harbors have +1 production
-When one of your cities is attacked, you may draw 1 unit card
of your choice before combat begins

Greece
Tech: Democracy
Traits: -Start with a temple
-once per turn, you may either change 1 culture into 3 science
or 3 science into 1 culture

England
Tech: Monarchy
Traits: -your ranged units get +1 power when defending
-Each time you research a level 2, or higher level, technology
you gain 2 culture

France
Tech: Pottery
Traits: -your culture hand limit is +1
-once per turn, when devoted to the arts, you may also build a
unit, army, or scout

Aztec
Tech: Masonry
Traits: -you start with 1 gold
-your temples produce 2 science

India
Tech: ?
Traits: -you don't need to go into anarchy in order to change
governments
-once per turn, you may trade 1 resource token for 2 resource
tokens from the market

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Brazilians

Starting Tech: Animal Husbandry
Government: Anarchy
Brazilians conquer villages as they were huts, no combat needed.
Brazilians can't be militarily attacked for a civ that was never attacked or culture-targeted by Brazilians before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
The Brazilians :D

Starting Tech: Animal Husbandry
Government: Anarchy
Brazilians conquer villages as they were huts, no combat needed.
Brazilians can't be militarily attacked for a civ that was never attacked or culture-targeted by Brazilians before.

:)

Not fighting villages is probably as big of a disadvantage as an advantage. Villages are a safe way to strengthen your army (kill off 1s) and they give you coins with Code of Laws. Also usually you get a start bonus and a game bonus and both of yours are game bonuses. Maybe a bonus hut token or a free unit when they take a village and it counts as a battle for Code of Laws. I could still blockade your buildings although I still couldn't directly attack you if you nuke one of my cities (resource ability).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
NicWester wrote:

Greece
Leader: Solon

Er... Why Solon? I suspect the Greek leader would be Pericles, wouldn't it?

Also, I would REALLY like to see a Greek starting ability that makes Culture Victory a more viable option... less binary.

Something like: You gain two culture tokens for every technology you build. Or alternatively, you gain two culture tokens for every military unit you build.

Dunno. Too overpowered?

I sort of like this one
ThaTsRight wrote:

Traits: -Start with a temple
-once per turn, you may either change 1 culture into 3 science
or 3 science into 1 culture

But what the heck do you mean by science? Do you mean trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pohl
Germany
Mülheim
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very interesting that guys all over the world have nearby the same ideas for some cultures as the others...

Here are my three ideas about new nations:

GREECE:

Leader: Alexander
Starting Techs: Philosophy + Civil Service
Starting place: The tile wth the mountain with an extra culture (two water-squares in the middle...)
Skill: The Greek start with two Techs.
Whenever they get an great person they draw two and choose one.

Note: The Greek start with a little bit of everything: A Coin from Civil Service, a expanded hand size from Civil Service and two techs.
We used them two times and they get close to the victory but were beaten both times...

MONGOLS:

Leader: Genghis Khan
Starting Tech: Horseback Riding
Starting Place: Silk in the upper left corner
Skill: The mounted units start on Rank 2.
Whenever the Mongols conquer a village, they may occupy the village. The occupied village gives them trade points just like a city. Whenever an enemy army enters a occupied village it´s destroyed and it counts as a lost battle for the mongols.

Note: The Mongols can´t build any building from the beginning, but they are fast... and their monted units can fight... if you find some villages in the early game and conquer them you get a rush in trade-points.
We used them two times and one time they could get a victory.

ENGLAND:

Leader: Elisabeth I.
Startin Place: Water on both sides of the tile.
Skill: Their battle hand size is increased by 1 if the Englands attack from a water square.
They start with two random ressorces.

Note: Just an idea and not tested yet. I like the idea of using the water as an attack-bonus. Maybe two starting ressources are two strong and one should be enough.

Hope you could understand everything... I´m not a native speaker...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Django83 wrote:

ENGLAND:

Leader: Elisabeth I.
Startin Place: Water on both sides of the tile.
Skill: Their battle hand size is increased by 1 if the Englands attack from a water square.
They start with two random ressorces.

This might be better and I like the way you are going with this:

Their battle hand size is increased by 1 if the England initiates a combat from a water square (the square their armies came from before initiating the combat) or defends in a water square.

Although I also like something along the lines of this:
When a city with 2 or more harbors gathers resources it also gains a random hut token (from outside the game). Cost for Harbors is 0 hammers.

Looking up the page I also like the extra scout marker someone came up (maybe on an unused board to represent overseas territories) safe from attack (but vulnerable to culture cards) and can be rebuilt by the capital?

Does your Mongol village give you trade in the 8 tiles around it?

Looking forward to expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.