Battles of Westeros» Forums » Rules

Subject: Not sure about rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Koh
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hi there,
I seem to be having problems understanding the rules regarding movement and combat orders.

The rules state that each command phase, each player takes turns to spend order tokens or play cards to order units, each order allows a unit to move and/or attack. However, in the movent and combat part of the rules, it states that all units have to be moved first before any attacks can be made, so which is it? When do units attack? After they move or after all units move? If its the latter, do all my attacks happen at once or do i use one action(i.e. to play an order token or card) to make an attack?

In other words, whats the command phase like in terms of flow? Anyone who can give examples will be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi Victor,

One way to break down the turn is like the following:
1. choose an order card or order token
2. move all the units you want to move this turn, from the set you've ordered based on your order card/token
3. attack, one at a time, with the units you want to attack with

Let's say I have Gregor and two units and I want to order them to move forward and attack.

1. Play an "order three units" card and put down a command token on Gregor.
2. Move Gregor and the other two units. I usually flip the unit around so the flag is pointing to the inactive phase at this point. You can move them in whatever order you want.
3. Attack with the three units, in whichever order you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
W:5 - L:5
badge
G o H a w k s !
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that each Round is made up of alternating turns - your turn, your opponent's, your turn, your opponent's - until you are out of tokens or leadership cards.

The "move-first-then-attack" rule applies to each turn, not the whole Round.

So, if (on your turn) you order a unit by playing a token, you move that ordered unit, then combat. If then (on your next turn) you play a leadership card that orders 3 units, you move all 3 units, then attack with each of those units in whatever order is strategically best. (Mr. Thud's example is a good one of this.)

Edit: punctuation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Koh
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thank you guys, I fully understand it now. Love this place, my first post is a rules question and i get good answers almost immediately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought FFG could have been a little more clear about the move and attack rules. The way I first read it, it sounded like you move all your units, then attack with all units even if you use an order token. The rules say: "all units must finish there movement before they attack.". Would have been clearer if they said " A unit must finish all movement before they attack." But after reading examples its clear you move then attack. Unless you are using a leadership card to order more then one unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KenM wrote:
I thought FFG could have been a little more clear about the move and attack rules. The way I first read it, it sounded like you move all your units, then attack with all units even if you use an order token. The rules say: "all units must finish there movement before they attack.". Would have been clearer if they said " A unit must finish all movement before they attack." But after reading examples its clear you move then attack. Unless you are using a leadership card to order more then one unit.

To be more exact, is should say "All units ordered this turn must finish their movement and then attack"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis Kontogiannis
Greece
Heraklion, Crete
flag msg tools
I am new to this game, and I am trying to figure out the rules where in my opinion there not very well written. A question related to the "move-first-then-attack" rule that applies to each turn (A very clear explanation of how things go). When do you use the engagement tokens?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vasilisk wrote:
I am new to this game, and I am trying to figure out the rules where in my opinion there not very well written. A question related to the "move-first-then-attack" rule that applies to each turn (A very clear explanation of how things go). When do you use the engagement tokens?

At the point where you actually make a melee attack against a unit that is not engaged yet. Placing the engagement token is part of the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides, you might want to check these rules:
http://bgg.cc/filepage/79221/battles-of-westeros-complete-co...

They are fan written (Thanks KenToad) and confirmed by the designer, and they add some clarifications and corrections to the original rulesbook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.