Subject: dominion - great auction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eyal Diskin
Israel
modiin
flag msg tools
mbmb
well, this is my design for a fan expansion for dominion.
the concept of this expansion is the great auction and a new type of cards - artifacts. artifacts are special, overpowered cards that dont go inside your normal deck and are presented infront of you. each artifact has a unique effect.
artifacts have their own supply deck,the auction supply. to get an artifact, you need to bid for it. in your turn, during the buy phase, you can bid money by putting it on your "bidding mat". until your next turn, anyone can try to out-bid you by putting more money than you in their bidding mat. if no one out bidded you, you gain the artifact and put all the money from the bidding mat in the supply. if some one out bidded you, you can try to out bid them or put all the money from your bidding mat in your discard pile or keep the money in the bidding mat for the next auction.

restriction:
- you can have no more than 3 artifacts, unless you have an artifact that give you +x to artifacts.

each artifact is a one of a kind card, so making a 20 card artifact deck is ideal for fans.

list of artifacts(note: x/y/z means that there are 3 artifacts with the same effect but different name):

Witch's book (artifact, victory, starting cost of 8) : each curse at the end of the game grant you 1 VP, but buying curses now cost 2 coins.

Excalibur (artifact, starting cost of 9) : once per attack, you can null out a reaction card.

Golden vault (artifact, victory, starting cost of 9) : 2 VP for every treasure at the end of the game.

Diamond ring / kings crown / royal staff (artifact, victory, starting cost of 13) : 15 VP at the end of the game.

Golden idol / liquid gold / ancient gem (artifact, treasure, starting cost of 13) : constant +10 coins at buy phase.

Cursed cannon / black sword (artifact, attack, curse, starting cost of 11) : this attack can not be blocked. Usable once per game. Trash someone's artifact. -5VP. You can not trash this card.

Cursed idol (artifact, treasure, curse, starting cost of 10) : constant +12 coins at buy phase. -4 VP.

Silver pillow / deluxe case (artifact, starting cost of 7) : +2 artifacts.

Artifact chamber (artifact, victory, starting cost of 11): +2 artifacts. +4 VP.

Chariot (artifact, starting cost of 8): after clean-up phase, draw up to 6 cards instead of 5)

Salvage boat (artifact, cost of 10) : lets you buy anything you want from the trash for half the cost.

Thief's dagger / trickster's coat(artifact, attack, starting cost of 10) : replace other players artifact with this one.

Crystal ball / telescope (artifact, starting cost of 9) : once per turn, look at other player's hand.

i haven't playtested them, so they might be broken.
english is not my native language, so sorry if you dont understand something.
any questions / critique?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
an interesting twist. I didn't read all the artifacts, but based on the rules alone, I see a few issues:

- This seems to reward a "big money" strategy. What if I have based my deck around +coin cards like minion, pirate ship, etc? I can't bid coins that don't exist until I play my actions.

- It also makes hand-discard attacks like militia and torturer more desirable. I'd much rather start the bidding after wrecking the hands of my opponents.

I like the idea of adding an auction, but maybe there needs to be some way to save up coins (from +coin cards, or unused treasure) for later bidding. A straightforward way would be to "bank" those coins on a mat with coin tokens, but I don't know how balanced that would be, especially given the advantage that the start player would get by being able to bank earlier..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eyal Diskin
Israel
modiin
flag msg tools
mbmb
thank you for your input.
i think for the first problem, +coins cards can produce temporary coin token, that only last until your next bidding. that way, you cant stack them, but they are not completly useless.
stacking them would make artifacts much more affordable, and that's not the point.
i disagree with you on the second point. cards like militia can weaken your opponent's bidding power, which is vital in bidding.
say you have 2 golds, 2 silvers and a millitia and your opponent has 3 golds 1 silver and 1 random action. its your turn and you use militia. your opponent has to discard 2 cards, and choses to keep his 3 golds. bid your 2 golds and 2 silvers, making your bidding power 10. your opponent could have a bidding power of 11, but because you used militia his power is 9. he can then bid the 9 to get the upper hand next auction.
well, thats just a random example that came to my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think you would need to look at strategies that build big hands and see if they break your auctions. Tactician is a prime example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As was mentioned, this seems to reward "Big Money" too much, almost severely imbalancing what can already be a strong strategy. Perhaps if you allowed Actions, Buys, and non-Treasure Coins to be bid (on some conversion).

Also, with such high starting costs, it might be some time before these see any play and some of them might then not be worthwhile to bring into the game.

I assume you'd also need to figure out how to balance effectively losing a whole turn of Big Money (and perhaps more, if you get outbid) just to chase an artifact, because having 13 treasure out on a bid for one or more rounds can set you back, perhaps more than the artifact helps.

As far as the cards themselves (and I'm not completely experienced at the game, so I may be off):

The constant +coins seem way strong. You can nearly guarantee high VP cards without having to worry about cycling the deck.

The Thief's Dagger, I'm sure, would need some rule to prevent it bouncing back and forth (likely removing it from the game).

The Black Sword seems weak, given that it depends on another artifact worth erasing being out there, and then you're buying it to cancel that artifact, with the VP hit. Why wouldn't you just buy the good artifact to begin with? E.g. the +15 VP artifacts are much better than canceling somebody else's +15 VP artifact, but taking the -4 VP at a similar cost, and there are three +15 VP artifacts, so they are likely to be available.

The +2 artifact cards, I assume, give a net gain of +1 artifact (that is, you can have 5 artifacts instead of three, but one of the five must be the +2 artifact card), and I cannot imagine it being worthwhile to spend so many turns bidding on artifacts, much less, spending one whole bidding cycle to get this artifact such that you can later get even further artifacts, and at a pretty high cost.

All of which is to say that there would need to be plenty of playtesting to see how it fits in. If it takes too long and too much money to get artifacts, if some are broken, etc. I think it's a very interesting idea to add further interactivity to the game, but I think this way of doing it disrupts the "core" mechanic (which is wildly popular) too much to keep it "Dominion".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eyalswalrus wrote:
i disagree with you on the second point. cards like militia can weaken your opponent's bidding power, which is vital in bidding.
I think we agree here, but maybe I wasn't clear. What I mean is that the effect of militia is so vital that it skews the value of militia, making it even better than usual. In a game with artifacts and militias, I would expect the militia's to be bought up quickly, and hit often. Games with lots of attacks can be very brutal and slow. turning the game into: "Militia, Outbid everyone" "Ghost Ship, outbid everyone" would get old quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent R.
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
On the count of three, you will want to game...
mbmbmbmbmb
What about bidding with card values on the bidding mat with the trashing of those cards by the high bidder? Would that alleviate any or cause more problems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.