BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Finca, Notre Dame or In the Year of the Dragon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My FLGS is having a Black Friday sale and these are the 3 games that fit my budget and caught my eye. Which would you recommend?

1. I like interactive games
2. I like to be able to introduce the game to casual gamers (if its accessible to non-gamers, all the better!)
3. Fun!
4. Deep, multiple paths to victory yet easy to teach.

I know these might not be the ideal games in view of these criteria but which would be the best fit nonetheless?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played finca but it seems most accessable. Otherwise Notre Dame is very good. I wouldn't try to teach ItYotD to casual gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest to introduce and understand for casual and non-gamers = Finca

I've had tremedous luck introducing this one to casual and non-gamers have enjoyed. Heavier then Finca = Notre Dame

I've heard this can be a brutal game, and would probably not interest casual gamers. Managing crisis to the max. Gamer's game = In the Year of the Dragon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I have also seen some positive reviews for Fica and it is on my 'nice to have' list. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the interactive scale:

1 - Finca
2 - In the Year of the Dragon - the point is to make it so your opponent can't interact with you!
3 - Notre Dame - the only meaningful interaction is in 9 card drafts in the game. Slightly more interactive with 2 or 3 players.

Finca is most accessible, the other two are also accessible but very unforgiving for newbies.

Fun - your mileage will definitely vary.

Deep - IYD and ND are both deep. Finca is a lot deeper than people give it credit for.

Personally, I like Finca the most. It is a very original design that works, but the put-off is the pasted-on theme.

IYD and ND both suffer in that if you make one misstep in the beginning, you have to spend an hour playing futile catch-up. So you need to play it a few times just to identify and iron out those missteps in the beginning before you get to have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Beauregard
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own/played Finca but not the other two games. I'd highly recommend Finca though, very accessible yet still tactical. It has beautiful components and it scales perfectly with the number of players. Great replayability too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played In the Year of the Dragon online with AI and holy crap is it a brutal game. Obviously the AI is probably tuned to be pretty challenging, but managing all of the events that come up and trying to accumulate VPs is really intense, and in a way that I can't say that I enjoy.

There isn't a whole lot of interactivity (action selection can exclude other actions, choosing certain workers can deplete supply, some events are reward "most" or punish "least"). Much of the gameplay is trying to figure out how to pass the event "checks" (failing them is typically pretty devastating) while also beefing up your fireworks / privileges / parade prowess, etc. and early missteps can literally pretty much make you a non-contender from turn three or four. I can't say I've enjoyed it in my artificial / limited play, but I think I can say that this one isn't for the faint of heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As there are 4 points to be matched, I will just break it down, so you can decide which ones got the most weight.

soojin wrote:
1. I like interactive games

None of them is really interactive but Finca would be the most interactive from those 3 games.

soojin wrote:
2. I like to be able to introduce the game to casual gamers (if its accessible to non-gamers, all the better!)

Clearly Notre Dame and Finca, no chance for the Dragon. I think ND is more intuitive than Finca but both will fit.

soojin wrote:
3. Fun!

Well, that´s something you have to find out on your own. I would say ND.

soojin wrote:
4. Deep, multiple paths to victory yet easy to teach.

This point goes easily to the Dragon, followed by ND.

While Finca is a good game, it cannot catch up with ND and the Dragon, but that´s just me. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Girardi
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Whoooooooooose House?
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that Finca's your best choice. Several folks who've never been gamers before have come over, played the game, loved it, and bought it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
H8Man wrote:
While Finca is a good game, it cannot catch up with ND and the Dragon, but that´s just me. Hope that helps!

+1. I also love the surprisingly short playtime of ItYotD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricksta2232 wrote:
I also agree that Finca's your best choice. Several folks who've never been gamers before have come over, played the game, loved it, and bought it.

I agree, Finca would be my choice. Played Finca last night with my Daughter (9) and Dad. My dad is very brain dead when it comes to board games. Taught them the game in about 4-5 minutes, and they both had fun. The best part--my dad won. Finca allows a lot of interaction, but if you are looking for depth, Finca may not be your best choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Girardi
United States
Missouri City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly enjoy Finca. The game has bright colors and cool fruit wooden components. It's definitely one of my most favorite games and is popular with my gaming group, which likes gateway games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.