Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Empire Builder» Forums » General

Subject: Sorting out the editions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: VersionDifferences [+] [View All]
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A little bit ago, I was trying to select a version for the Empire Builder games in my collection using that new(er) part of the BGG functionality. This caused me some problems because I have always thought of my primary copy as the third edition:


this is listed as Mayfair Games English Edition Gray Box.

There are three other versions listed there:

Mayfair English Edition (1984)



English Third Edition w/ 'New Edition Now Contains Mexico' (1999)



English Fourth edition (2008)



In the gallery, we have the following distinctive box covers:

1.

I believe this is the very first version ever made back in 1980.



2.

This is described as the 1984 edition above. In one of the captions this is described as a second edition.



3.

I'm not sure of the year of this. One of the image captions indicated as a possible 1984 dates.



4.

This is the same as the one described as a third edition above but without the notification that it contain Mexico. I thought my first play of EB was from a box like this that did not include Mexico. Can anyone verify this?



5.

This is described as third edition, 1999 above. However, the actual image caption states that it is the 2002 edition. Is it possible that there were editions with and without Mexico that used the same box art?



6.

This is referred to as 4th edition from 2004 in one of the image captions.


7.

The newest (2008) printing and apparently designated as the fourth edition.


So, I'm thinking of updating the versions with the following:

1. English First Edition, 1980
2. English Second Edition (thin box), 1984
3. English Second Edition (bookshelf box), 1984
4. English Second Edition, 1999
5. English Third Edition, 2002
6. English Third Edition, 2004
7. English Fourth Edition, 2008

Does that seem reasonable? Does anyone have any thoughts or comments before I do that?
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have #4, without Mexico. Rulebook credits say it it the 3rd edition, dated 1988.

Mayfair says that #7 is the fifth edition. This one is distinguished by the color load chips. Mayfair also changed the product number to 4500. All previous editions were listed as product #450.

http://mayfairgames.com/game.php?id=105&stock=MFG4500&name=E...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
2.

This is described as the 1984 edition above. In one of the captions this is described as a second edition.
Just to emphasize: My copy, my photo. The caption indicates 2nd edition because that is what is self-proclamed on the box bottom

I think the significant change may have been that the puzzle-cut board replaced a rollable mat ?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I created this version:

"English Third Edition w/ 'New Edition Now Contains Mexico' (1999) "

based off the information on my box and the rules.

I just saw caption on the picture so I now understand your point. The caption is wrong. Someone even posted that they got the game in 2000. I got my copy before Oct 2003 because I used to play it with my wife before my daughter was born. When I bought it, the game had been out for years.

I don't know how the 3rd Edition could be 1999, that seems too late. e-mail Darwin to clear it up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Storz
United States
California
flag msg tools
FWIW, our copy has picture #6. The latest game copyright in the rule booklet is 2001, but it does not identify the edition. We bought it in mid 2007, the stock # is 450 and the chips have the B & W stickers, so I assume it's 4th edition. I've seen EB carried at barnes & Noble, but hadn't noticed the updated stock #.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the responses so far. I've just been home long enough to actually have a look at my copy (#3 above). In the back of the rules booklet, there is a Credits section in which it is identified as Third Edition, copyright 1988. I guess there is a reason I have always thought of it as the third edition!

Based on this and the responses above, I was thinking about identifying the editions as follows:

1. English First Edition, 1980
2. English Second Edition, 1984
3. English Third Edition, 1988
4. English Third Edition, 1999
5. English Fourth Edition (with new edition now contains Mexico), 2002
6. English Fourth Edition, 2004
7. English Fifth Edition, 2008

Does that seem reasonable? If I don't hear anything else, I'll probably go about submitting these later this week.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:


I think the significant change may have been that the puzzle-cut board replaced a rollable mat ?

The first edition actually has a paper board with the train "cards" printed right on the board. I think that the puzzle cut board is a vast improvement over that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
Based on this and the responses above, I was thinking about identifying the editions as follows:

5. English Fourth Edition (with new edition now contains Mexico), 2002

Does that seem reasonable? If I don't hear anything else, I'll probably go about submitting these later this week.


No, because this version is identified as 3rd edition in the rule book. Since it has much of the same artwork as the previous version, that shouldn't be a suprise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
seppo21 wrote:
Based on this and the responses above, I was thinking about identifying the editions as follows:

5. English Fourth Edition (with new edition now contains Mexico), 2002

Does that seem reasonable? If I don't hear anything else, I'll probably go about submitting these later this week.


No, because this version is identified as 3rd edition in the rule book. Since it has much of the same artwork as the previous version, that shouldn't be a suprise.

It seems odd to identify it as the third edition when it contains a different set of load cards from other third editions and a different map (as it contains Mexico).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
BFoy wrote:
seppo21 wrote:
Based on this and the responses above, I was thinking about identifying the editions as follows:

5. English Fourth Edition (with new edition now contains Mexico), 2002

Does that seem reasonable? If I don't hear anything else, I'll probably go about submitting these later this week.


No, because this version is identified as 3rd edition in the rule book. Since it has much of the same artwork as the previous version, that shouldn't be a suprise.

It seems odd to identify it as the third edition when it contains a different set of load cards from other third editions and a different map (as it contains Mexico).


Yes, it was odd because it was a huge change. But it wasn't my decision. I can only document what's there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I got out my Empire Builder game. The board was copyright 1999. The box art was copyright 1992. Since the box art was the same, I think the date of the previous version is 1992.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
I got out my Empire Builder game. The board was copyright 1999. The box art was copyright 1992. Since the box art was the same, I think the date of the previous version is 1992.

So that would mean #4 is 1992 and #5 is 1999?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Stolk
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
mb
I have #6 and it says copyright 2004 on the box. No edition number is provided.

The rules that go with it have as cover art #4/#5 and has copyright 2002 I believe. Again no edition number as far as I could see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
BFoy wrote:
I got out my Empire Builder game. The board was copyright 1999. The box art was copyright 1992. Since the box art was the same, I think the date of the previous version is 1992.

So that would mean #4 is 1992 and #5 is 1999?


Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.