Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Overgauss .
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can figure we are at the first layer of understanding. Zero being the layer correlating to understanding the rules of the game.

I say that because the AP play mechanics alone allow for the ability to attack each planning phase (when everyone places their AP). Asset denial is an attack of sorts.

Hog the adaptation phase so elements fall into regression, or do the same with abundance and wasteland. That's element control.

Once the earth is made to your liking, wanderlust behind your wall and start a dominance chain.

Then morph playstyles and hit em with what ever you like.

That's what I'm loving about Dominant Species, I'm finding it really easy to try different strategies and have different priorities and tasks.

Right now I'm abusing Arachnids with their one free bite, but it struck
me that each animal is potent in their own right. I further concluded that a meta race will soon be afoot where we try to figure out what are the best animal pairs for any particular strategy.

For instance the speed of birds coupled with the defensive/invading ability of 'spiders' in an invade/conquer strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how this should work in a 5 or 6 player game. You have only 4 or 3 APs, and using these to "shape the earth", as you said, well, let the other animals take the elements you prefer. AND they execute dominance cards each turn, while you try to block them out of the earth-shaping positions.

Yes, in special cases can a denial be neccessary, for example to prevent the removal of an important element of your animal. But a whole strategy based upon denial? I don't think this would work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Overgauss .
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In three player games I've found myself with 7 or 8 AP.

Additionally with only 4 or so AP to go around in a 5 or 6 player game it would seem denial would hurt even more! I like denying the left most space of domination for instance. Especially when there's an AP- or AP+ card lying about. I like denying wasteland access too, especially when it will hurt the tundra hoarder the most.

I'm only interested in dominance when there is a card that I need up. Other than that the other players are free to refresh the cards for me until something I like pops up.

That's what I like about this game the most, what I call denying, someone else may call in-effectual or even worse. The point is that the debate exists and very few games spark up that type of dialogue.

In this dialogue I see that only one half of the equation is being considered with the denial strategy. We seem fixated on the denying someone of access aspect. There's also the gaining/protection of elements as well as the removal of opponents elements factor. But that is neither here nor there.

What is clear is there are plenty of different ways to play the game and hopefully time enough to play many different strategies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
I suspect the game plays in a fundamentally different way depending on player number.

I've played two 6er games so far, and with only 3-4 actions, you don't have spare AP for denial and attacks. You may get attacks of opportunity where you can get something necessary for yourself while also hurting an opponent, but hurting your opponent is generally a secondary aspect. Virtually every turn, you have to spend an AP on Speciate to keep your presence on the board healthy and another on Dominate to score points, leaving 1-2 AP leftover for Adaptation/Regression/Abundance/Wasteland/Depletion/Glaciation/Wanderlust/Migration/Competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. With 6p, I learned you don't even have enough AP to play a future glaciation (without getting crushed in the meantime), whereas in 4p if you wait for a glaciation eye to be open for the current round, you'll probably never glaciate, at least after turn 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually spending all my AP on tactics with not much to spare for strategy. About the best strategic planning I usually end up doing is guessing whether I will have cubes returned from Glaciation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Overgauss .
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I tend to speciate less towards the beginning and more later on as needed. I have noticed that early speciation just tends to generate a lot of corpses from elimination. This hurts later in the game when area control is more crucial. It's also why I like arachnids, I get to eliminate one species for free each turn.

I don't dominate for points, I dominate for power, abilities and effects. Most of my points come from spreading everywhere during the last rounds. I'm interested in effects that eliminate rival species(CATASTROPHE! MUAHAHAHAHA!), anything that manipulates AP, strips elements and things of that general nature.

I also tend to try to make others react to my tactics rather than the other way around. I will even strip an element from my animal if I can do equal or worse to others.

Frankly Adaptation/Regression seem undervalued as would be the case I'm sure for Abundance/Wasteland in the presence of suitable tundra. In the case of Adaptation, you gain an ability (or not!), potentially block someone else from getting an ability, then you get to influence what goes into the Regression box because what remains, drops down.[edit: I'm calling the ability to use a new element an ability. I probably should have said you get to evolve]

So what are some of the tactics you use in lower AP games? Those with 4-6 players. For me I played pretty reactionary at first until I realised I could DO stuff to people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.