Summoner Wars» Forums » General

Subject: First Win - Love This Game So Far rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
YES, my first win came against my 10 year old daughter as my Cave Goblins crushed her Guild Dwarves. Hey, a win is a win

More importantly she really liked the game and picked up strategy and summoning very quickly. She immediately asked how come it didnt come with a REAL board instead of a piece of papersoblue

I'm not complaining, I got this game directly from Plaid Hat Games when Colby was nice enough to offer the starter sets for $10 each. I wasnt sure that I wanted to shell out $25 for a game that might not see much play time at my house, but at $10 I snatched up both starter sets. Tonight was actually my 2nd time playing as I got to play my first game during the lunch break at a Heroscape tournament this past Saturday. Another Scaper happened to overhear me talking about how I ordered it and was hoping that it was going to be a fun game. He said that I would like it and that he happened to have a copy with the premium board in his car. He set the game up, taught me the rules and we were off and running. I do have to say that the premium board will have to be one of my next purchases unless I can make one out of some foam core.

The game is very easy to learn and teach. I cant wait to open and play the Phoenix Elves and Tundra Orcs tomorrow. That 10 year old better bring her A-game tomorrow or else it will be 2 in a row for the old man.

Happy Thanksgiving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see it now ...

"At this Thanksgiving dinner, I want to remind everyone to be thankful for the important things in we have in our lives -- love, friendship, community, and a winning record in Summoner Wars. Well ... most of us have those things. Better luck next year, dear."

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C. DaVault
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BEWARE OF THE ORKS! They are still undefeated in our house....arrrh and if you get the chance pick up the Vangaurds they are AWESOME! a lot of fun to play.

Happy Thanksgiving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I can see it now ...

"At this Thanksgiving dinner, I want to remind everyone to be thankful for the important things in we have in our lives -- love, friendship, community, and a winning record in Summoner Wars. Well ... most of us have those things. Better luck next year, dear."

laugh

Chris, thanks for the gg. That was nice. I can already tell this game is going to be a keeper. What expansions (factions) do you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
The WyldeIrishMan wrote:
Quote:
What expansions (factions) do you recommend?
All. cool

I'll go with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we got the 2nd Starter set to the table and my lovely 10 year old, Sophie was the only one who wanted to play. She had first choice for the Tundra Orcs and Phoenix Elves and after looking through both decks, she proclaimed "I want to be the Elves. Can I ALWAYS be the Elves? I like them better than the guys we played with yesterday?"

Well between the Elves "Precise" attack and my Smasher's "Sluggish" ability she took out several of my Fighters and Smashers early in the game and it looked like I was in trouble. Eventually I drew some Ice Walls and Freeze on the same turn and had 2 turns in a row where I had 4 of her units touching my walls when Grognach unleased his Walls of Ice Shard with a hit, killing 3 of her units with 1 attack. She then had to use her magic points to unfreeze her Prince Elien and was unable to summon more troops. Once I got him cornered, my Orcs made quick work of him with him only having 4 lives.

My daughter asked if we could mix up the decks to make different armies like in "Magic The Gathering"? I cant wait to get some more factions and the mercanaries. This game has all kinds of long term potential!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I finally got to play this against another adult gamer today, giving him the choice of the 4 factions from the starter sets. He took the Elves and I took the Tundra Orcs. Does the Fury roll for Orc warriors ever end as long as you keep rolling 5s or 6s after your attack? I was on a roll with Fury. Then came Freeze and all the Ice Walls and before he knew what hit him, the poor Prince was frozen in a corner getting smashed by my warriors and Smashers. Are the Tundra Orcs way overpowered compared to the other 3 starter set factions, or have I just been getting lucky die rolls and lucky draws with my cards? I'm pretty certain that if I played someone who knew how to optimally play the other 3 factions, they would put my Orcs in their frozen places!

More importantly, my buddy said he enjoyed the game and would like to play again sometime. He said the game reminded him of a combination of Heroscape and Magic The Gathering. I asked him to elaborate and he said that the units and their special attacks reminded him of Heroscape and that fact that you needed to summon magic to bring your units and creatures onto the field of battle reminded him of needing a certain amount of mana in Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.