Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend told me tonight that he taught Dominant Species at several tables during BGG Con. He stated that everyone concluded Mammals were "broken" and should be banned because they won every game! I thought that was strange because Mammals have yet to win in the 7 games I've played. Come to find out they were playing that Mammals get to leave one endangered species on EVERY tile they occupy, allowing them to score massive Survival points in tundra. So if any readers played in games with Randy, the Mammals get to leave only one endangered species on the whole board, not each tile, during the Extinction phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Why do people, when confronted with a game that doesn't seem to work, immediately jump to the "must be broken"-conclusion instead of the "Hmmm, maybe I am doing something wrong?"-conclusion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played mammals for my first game last week and made the same mistake. The others weren't sure but they quickly checked in the rules and confirmed I could only do it on one tile, I was so deflated as it had been the cornerstone of my strategy for that round! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother wrote:
Why do people, when confronted with a game that doesn't seem to work, immediately jump to the "must be broken"-conclusion instead of the "Hmmm, maybe I am doing something wrong?"-conclusion...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear I'm going to go postal one day over this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother wrote:

It's a lot easier for people to believe a game is broken than it is for them to admit they aren't as smart as they thought they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cons are notorious for incorrect rules to be perpetuated like a virus. Often a game is played where no one at the table has actually read the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of weeks ago the two most active threads in the game forum were one pronouncing the game broken because mammals and reptiles could not win, and another pronouncing the game broken because insects and arachnids could not win.

I dearly wanted to put the authors of those two threads in a room together with a copy of the game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Cons are notorious for incorrect rules to be perpetuated like a virus. Often a game is played where no one at the table has actually read the rules.

Well put.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morganza wrote:
A couple of weeks ago the two most active threads in the game forum were one pronouncing the game broken because mammals and reptiles could not win, and another pronouncing the game broken because insects and arachnids could not win.

I dearly wanted to put the authors of those two threads in a room together with a copy of the game :-)

That's strange. Obviously Amphibians are the worst animal by far. In fact, you could say that the game is broken because Amphibians are so useless...

How are people losing so often with all the good animals?
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
newuser wrote:
Morganza wrote:

That's strange. Obviously Amphibians are the worst animal by far. In fact, you could say that the game is broken because Amphibians are so useless...

How are people losing so often with all the good animals?
whistle

This man speaks an obvious truth.

Oh wait, I won with the amphibians Wednesday night. Never mind. ;-)

(Note: I won because Water elements showed up on Abundance and Wanderlust when I needed them. The cards aren't the big random factor in the game, the disks are...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
No one has mentioned the birds in this thread so let me be the first to say they are the most useless of all animals in the game and therefore the game is broken. I mean it's impossible to win with the birds when everyone else is getting free competitions, free speciations, a free element, a free survival cube and free regressions and the birds are forced to USE one of their AP's just get their ability in play...clearly everyone is overlooking that they are the only animal that doesn't get something FOR FREE. Clearly the birds are broken and no one should accept playing them...

...I was within 2 points of winning with them one time and I know I could have made that up with better game play during the course of the game.

SIGH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you clarify the mammals.. I know it is 1 endangered species can remain for the mammals... but is that of ALL endangered species or only species that became endangered in the current round?

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Can you clarify the mammals.. I know it is 1 endangered species can remain for the mammals... but is that of ALL endangered species or only species that became endangered in the current round?

1 species out of all the endangered ones. Note the latter would be difficult to track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
pilotbob wrote:

1 species out of all the endangered ones. Note the latter would be difficult to track.

Thanks... that's what I thought. Just wanted to be 100% sure.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Being endangered is a state-based effect -- at any given time a species is either endangered or it is not. It doesn't matter how long a species has been endangered, only that it is at the time that a game effect checks for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Neumann
United States
Auburn
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother wrote:

Amen. Especially after they've only played the game once.

I always want to say "Yes, you broke the game and found something in one play that the designer and the playtesters totally missed during development. Congratulations!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.