Recommend
21 
 Thumb up
 Hide
63 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Android» Forums » General

Subject: Finally, hope has died rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They are selling Android in the FFG winter sale, 25 $. It's a pity, and probably means (what was clear before) that they want to get rid of the game... I never understood why it did not get more attention and appreciation...
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
mavo wrote:
I never understood why it did not get more attention and appreciation...


Because like most great art, upon it's initial appearance, it is fundamentally misunderstood by its audience.
23 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a few years they will be selling copies on ebay for $200.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned it, it was gorgeous. It was long. No one in my group wanted to play it. Sold it for $15.00.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
People complained it wasn't Clue.

Most did not get that the objective was more of building a case than solving a murder.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the game is all about the character stories. Everything else is incidental.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
Avatar
I think the fact that the game fundamentally isn't what it pretends to be is has a lot to do with its lukewarm reception. It's a mystery game with no mystery, in which all of the elements of the mystery are so abstracted that it's not really possible to believe in any of them.

I could see a game built around deciding in advance which of five suspects to a crime you want to see convicted and then working to frame one and exonerate the other four, but that would require the players to play the roles of corrupt cops, not intrepid private investigators.

It's a shame, because a lot of the elements of this game are really great. I love the character development, and the crazy-brilliant movement system. But even though I had a lot of fun playing this game, it ultimately felt like it hadn't delivered on its promise. It was like a trading game in which you never get to buy or sell anything because it's actually a race game. (I'm looking at you, Die Seidenstrasse.)
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A real shame one of the greatest game designs of the past decade

I remember when I first saw Bladerunner in 1981 (film) it was panned in so many of the same ways .... some things never change, it was obscure, too complex, no real murderer .....etc etc...

Ah well on to Android PBF game 2

Regards

JohnMcK (Nhoj)

ps .. keep the faith people
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UhhhClem wrote:
I think the fact that the game fundamentally isn't what it pretends to be is has a lot to do with its lukewarm reception. It's a mystery game with no mystery, in which all of the elements of the mystery are so abstracted that it's not really possible to believe in any of them.

I could see a game built around deciding in advance which of five suspects to a crime you want to see convicted and then working to frame one and exonerate the other four, but that would require the players to play the roles of corrupt cops, not intrepid private investigators.

It's a shame, because a lot of the elements of this game are really great. I love the character development, and the crazy-brilliant movement system. But even though I had a lot of fun playing this game, it ultimately felt like it hadn't delivered on its promise. It was like a trading game in which you never get to buy or sell anything because it's actually a race game. (I'm looking at you, Die Seidenstrasse.)


Only one of the characters even appears to be a cop. I see nothing wrong with assuming they all have their own reasons to pin it on someone.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanic is highly streamlined, but still surprised that people consider 'deduction' to be a big part of crime investigation.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why people were so eager on having "deduction" in this game. I have to admit, I also expect deduction, but was not disappointed when I realized it was not there. It is a great game as it is, I would say.

For beginners, I gues it really helps that they know that they are rather "directors" in this game than "actors" (although, the story related to the character you play is really involving).

Hope some day some hobby-designer does an fan-made expansion - especially new stories would be cool. I really love that part of the game, and find it by far better implemented that the personal stories in Arkham (which came with Innsmouth).

Or maybe Kevin will do that himself? From his background story in the rulebook you would expect that he really loved to do this project...

Thinking about it, maybe hope is not completely dead yet
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Thompson
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game which gets better on repeat plays. I've played it around 3 or 4 times and only on the most recent game did I finally feel like I was starting to fully understand the strategies I needed to pursue. At first, I also was slightly disappointed at the lack of a proper deduction element, but then I realized that in the game's world, it doesn't really matter who actually committed the crime; somebody's gotta take the fall for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering "hotness", this game is now where it belongs
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
*It was a long, rough game on first play.
*For me, the game had one or two too many mechanisms. None of them were very complex, but trying to keep them all straight was rough without feeling like it led me anywhere terribly deep. For lack of a better term, the game felt "wide" instead of "deep".

All that said, there's a lot of interesting stuff in this game, and the setting/tone is fantastic.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Zer0
United States
Del Mar
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
They are selling Android in the FFG winter sale, 25 $.


Thanks for the heads up. Hopped over there fast and picked up a copy for cheap!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always so tempting to buy up a copy of this, especially now that it'll be going on clearance and then disappearing forever, but I just know that I'll never ever get to play it - unless it has some kind of solitaire rules.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hisle
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RJD:
I hear that. I love this game, but have no one to play with. May be worth it @ $25?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
It's always so tempting to buy up a copy of this, especially now that it'll be going on clearance and then disappearing forever, but I just know that I'll never ever get to play it - unless it has some kind of solitaire rules.


Lug it over to a convention. Most game conventions will give you free admission for running games. Here's one that's happening in IL right this weekend:

Nov. 26-28: Wolfcon - Chicago, IL
Location: 8747 W. Lawrence, Chicago, IL 60630
WOLFCON VI - Nov 26th, 27th, & 28th Our Lady Mother of the Church - 8747 W. Lawrence, Chicago, IL 60656 Chicago's Thanksgiving Gaming Tradition MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK THAN EVER! WE HAVE ADDED : + 4 more hours of gaming every day - 8:00am - Midnight - Fri, Sat & Sun + A North American Catan Championship Qualifier - win for free admission & lodging at Gencon 2011 + Family and Kid friendly gaming - kids under 10 get in free with a paid adult + Improved Online registration to guarantee your gaming schedule + Ride sharing and Hotel info page on our website + Improved Network Gaming + Wolfcon Art Gallery Plus all your favorites from previous years including giant Jenga, and Settlers, miniatures, card games, board games, RPG's, the Wolfcon puzzle hunt, over $2000 in tournament and door prizes, our amazing auction, great vendors, and sensibly priced food, all for less than the cost of a movie!
Contact Person: Robert Lindauer
For more info, contact: Wolfcon c/o Robert Lindauer,5050 W. Wilson,Chicago, IL 60630

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the game because it looked very interesting. A friend told me that he had been dissapointed with what it really was about- not sure if he even played it. I'd like to some day.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I have a copy - I have enjoyed my experiences with it.

And speaking from experience, I ran Android at a local convention just a few weeks ago. I had enough people sign up for a max player game! Everyone loved it, so I'm happy with that.

The Director's Cut rules (found here) seem to fix a lot of what other's found to be problems with the original rules.

I know I'll be able to play it more, I just need to find a table big enough for all the bits!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
*For me, the game had one or two too many mechanisms. None of them were very complex, but trying to keep them all straight was rough without feeling like it led me anywhere terribly deep. For lack of a better term, the game felt "wide" instead of "deep".


Great description of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zinho73 wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
*For me, the game had one or two too many mechanisms. None of them were very complex, but trying to keep them all straight was rough without feeling like it led me anywhere terribly deep. For lack of a better term, the game felt "wide" instead of "deep".


Great description of the game.


And the more you understand the width ... the deeper it gets
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piri kou
France
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just loved the atmosphere of the game, but it really seemed too heavy and to ambitious to give really the llust to invest its price...

Thats sad, because from what I've read about it some great ideas seemed to heve been put in it...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pirikou wrote:
I just loved the atmosphere of the game, but it really seemed too heavy and to ambitious to give really the llust to invest its price...

Thats sad, because from what I've read about it some great ideas seemed to heve been put in it...


You'd be surprised. After one or two games, the game is quite simple. It's fiddly, but nothing heavy. It is, in a way, so light that I can enjoy the atmosphere instead of dedicating a good portion of my brain for number crunching.

The gist is... for me Android is an adventure game, just like Talisman, Runebound, and the likes. There's nothing 'heavy' about these games. Even Magic Realm, once you understand, I presume, is pretty simple. These games are 'expansive', or like one poster said above, 'wide'... not 'deep'.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It is, in a way, so light that I can enjoy the atmosphere instead of dedicating a good portion of my brain for number crunching.


Agree. The game is not really complex. The same as always with FFG: You could probably use the rulebook as weapon, but the content is not that heavy

BTW: Someone above said that it is hard to find players - remember that the game plays GREAT with just 2... no matter what the box says...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.