Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian O'Neill
Ireland
Castleconnell
Co.Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

Played this last night (2 player game) and really liked it. One thing we were wondering though... Why would you ever spend money to move up the prosperity ladder(?) at any stage other than the last round ?

If you keep your money in between rounds then you a) give your opponent no clue as to how your doing and b) reduce the risk in overspending on prosperity and end up shackled for teh next round.

Is there any reason to spend money in between rounds to move up ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind that the first step on each round only costs 1. Any subsequent steps in the same round cost the value of the space you are moving to.

As such, it's always worth making that first movement each round and it will also save you money over the course of the game if you can make your double jumps early. The fact that money is more scarce in the early game is what introduces tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
To offer a more concrete example. If i save all my money until the end of the game and then move to space 18, it will cost a total of 169:
(1 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 16 + 17 + 18)

If I move the minimum 1 space each turn for 1 money, it will instead cost me a total of 125:
(1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 16 + 17 + 18)

If I somehow manage to double hop each and every round it will instead cost me a total of just 89:
(1 + 3 + 1 + 5 + 1 + 7 + 1 + 9 + 1 + 11 + 1 + 13 + 1 + 15 + 1 + 17 + 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also there is also absolutely no reason to hide how well you're doing from your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Neudrossenfeld
flag msg tools
designer
Nobody reads this, anyway!
badge
Doea anybody read this, anyway?
mbmbmbmbmb
Furthermore, there is no WAY to hide how well you're doing from your opponent.

Money is not secret information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian O'Neill
Ireland
Castleconnell
Co.Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Capoeirista wrote:
To offer a more concrete example. If i save all my money until the end of the game and then move to space 18, it will cost a total of 169:
(1 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 16 + 17 + 18)

If I move the minimum 1 space each turn for 1 money, it will instead cost me a total of 125:
(1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 16 + 17 + 18)

If I somehow manage to double hop each and every round it will instead cost me a total of just 89:
(1 + 3 + 1 + 5 + 1 + 7 + 1 + 9 + 1 + 11 + 1 + 13 + 1 + 15 + 1 + 17 + 1)

Great. Thanks for that. We read the rules incorrectly. We didn;t realise you got to move 1 for 1 coin at the end of each round. Just makes a good game even better. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.