Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGGCON2010 [+] [View All]
William Bussick
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
You want to know something? I don't think Mozart's going to help at all.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be briefer this year in my report. This was my third BGG.CON. It was different this year, because all of my games were played with the same guys:
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus we played mostly heavier games this year, as opposed to previous years.

THURSDAY
Matt and I got a direct flight this year (very nice!), so we got in around noon. We went straight for registration, where I ended up getting Terra Prime, The BoardGameGeek Game, and Inka. Wow, such generosity! (I later ended up giving away the first two games, as I already had them.)

Then we booked over to the Funagain store, which was already a little picked over, but I did buy Sun, Sea & Sand and pick up my preorder of Penta. Stopping at the Z-Man booth, I bought Batt'l Kha'os, Parade, and Merchants of the Middle Ages.

We got set up to play Magical Athlete, but when Eric Burgess sat down to join us, he gave us the "Are you serious?" line. He said that he spent time railing against it on his podcast as a terrible game...whoops! Instead, I taught Charon Inc. Good game...I can throw away Hermagor now, as it has my favorite mechanic of that older game as its core. Afterwards, Matt taught Alien Frontiers. This is right up my alley, dice and building--good stuff! Right after, Paul taught 1655: Habemus Papam, from the same group that put out Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation. The game was okay, just a little tedious. Great small package, though!

Eric left and Paul, Matt, and I went to Denny's for dinner. I got the tilapia rancheros (mmm...life-sustaining...). Afterwards, we came back and I taught Grand Cru. Paul had white-hot hate for it, but I thought it was great. Wine and economics, what a combo! Paul taught Adlung Land afterwards. Pretty neat, but not sure I'll buy it. It has a lot of rules, but the board game references are great!

At some point around here, Matt and I played a game of WeyKick--our only one of the con!

I checked Felinia out of the library, went to bed, and read the rules until about 1:30AM.

FRIDAY
Didn't set an alarm and got up just before 10. Grabbed Starbucks for breakfast (and would again the next two mornings). You can get a ham, egg, and cheese croissant with orange juice for $5.95, and it filled me up nicely until dinner. (Though I would grab a cookie around lunch. )

Matt and I met up with Paul, and as I started teaching Felinia, we were joined by Carlos Hernandez. This game was more complicated and a little less fun than Schacht's recent offerings, but still a decent game. Afterwards, John Clowdus of Small Box games grabbed us and taught the first round of Irondale to us. Later, he stopped by and gave Paul and I each a copy of the game! (Matt already had ordered it.) What a great guy!

Matt checked out a copy of Ascension: Deckbuilding Game and we played that. Not my first time, but it's still an okay Dominion knock-off. Then Paul taught us 51st State. Yikes, was that an icon-heavy game! It wasn't bad, but I obviously picked the wrong strategy from the beginning, and I spent the next couple of hours bringing up the rear with no hope of catching up. Sigh...

We retreated to Denny's again for dinner (Super Bird this time).

Matt taught Norenberc, and as it was my second play, I seemed to be getting the hang of it. I wonder if going only for the guild tiles is too powerful, as this strategy got me more points than Paul and Matt together. Hmm... Still a fun game. I bought my own copy from Funagain after I got home.

Afterwards, Paul taught London (first edition). This was a great game! It seemed a little San Juan-like to me, but it had some really interesting choices. I'll definitely be getting my own copy. We broke up around 1 or so. I went back to the room and did some work until about 3.

SATURDAY
Got up at 8:45 and got in line for the flea market after breakfast. It was a zoo as usual, but I got a copy of Havoc: The Hundred Years War and Zitternix for cheap. When I dropped those off, I messed around with Kineti-Go Magnetic Shuffleboard in the dex games area for a little while. Neat concept for a game. It used magnets in a very different way.

Then we got Seth Jaffee to teach us his Eminent Domain game, as most of us had already preordered it. Poor guy's voice was almost gone from so much teaching! Ravindra Prasad joined us just before we started. Another San Juan-like game, it has some real potential. No real down-time on this one.

Matt then taught Khan...not one of my favorites, but it seemed to tickle Paul's fancy. We got to the "hot games" room at just the right time, so that we got in on a game of 7 Wonders with Jeff Fournier and two others. What an awesome game! I read the rules previously, but I didn't expect it to go so fast! My hit of the Show. We grabbed Survive: Escape from Atlantis! from the library and played it (joined by Bruce Keeney). Gorgeous new production, but the black numbers below the blue pawns were REALLY hard to read.

Paul left for a little while, and I checked Sobek out of the library, and Matt and I played it. Very nice! Same small box as Jaipur last year, but it played pretty smoothly. Meeting up with Paul again, we all went to the Bluefire Grille at the hotel and got some burgers. Then we went to the main ballroom for the Golden Geek awards.

For our last game sitting of the con, Matt, Paul, and I sat down to play String Railway. Very innovative, but not quite as much fun as it sounds. We then played a game of Irondale, which went pretty smoothly until the last couple of turns, when the AP set in. (The game reminds me much of Infinite City.)

Matt pulled out his Dominion "mega-box" with all of the cards of the games. We played 2 random-stacked games and had a great time, as usual. (The Swindler tied with King's Court is brutal, but Talisman with Mint is very interesting!)

We left Paul around midnight to start packing. We had to leave pretty early on Sunday to get back, but we had another direct flight.

OVERALL
It was nice having the same partners, as we had very similar tastes in games. I know it defeated one of the purposes of the con (meeting new people), but we really got to play the games we wanted to play. Well, except Magical Athlete...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It was a pleasure playing 7 Wonders with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting me tag along with you another year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric robbed you! Magical Athlete is fun stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajax wrote:
I know it defeated one of the purposes of the con (meeting new people)...

I'd say that is the main purpose and the best purpose. You missed a bunch this Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Magical Athlete is a GREAT game and meets any possible requirement for being a fun board game. Your friend Eric completely missed the boat on that one. Whoops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.