Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
hello,
I am unsure about the way terrain modifiers are applied in melee. The rulebook says that terrains apply to both the defender and the attacker, but then the combat table discusses only defense modifiers... which to me seems to imply they refer to the defender only...

so, for example:
if a unit on a hill attacks a unit in a stream hex, does the attacker gain +1 and the defender +2, or the attacker +0 and the defender +2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco,

The modifiers apply to units in the terrain, so a unit not in a stream would not get a modifier for attacking a unit in a stream (the unit in the stream would be modified).

So in your example, the Attacker on the Hill would get a +1, while the Defender in the Stream would get a -2.

Attacking across a bridge or ford only affects the Attacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
hi Mike,
thank you for your answer, but I am still a bit confused. The combat terrain modifiers are added to the die roll, so those are good things (meaning: adding points here improves your chances of victory). So why would the defender staying in a stream hex receive a MINUS modifier for defending there?

let me try with another example: units on a hill hex attacks unit in a wood hex... what would the modifiers be?

thank you for your patience!
Marco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrain modifiers are not necessarily good things. A unit in bad terrain (such as a stream) is going to be penalized. Attacking out of Stream or Defending while in Stream earns a -2 drm.

With regards to your Hill into Woods, both the attacker and defender would get a +1 to their respective die rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Also see this thread. I was confused about the same thing, but I didn't pose my question well, I guess. But by the end of the thread, I got the answer I needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
got it, thanks!!
Marco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Marco, does this mean we'll see a video review of ABD, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
So, Marco, does this mean we'll see a video review of ABD, too?

at some point, probably... but I have quite a pile of games on my desk scheduled for review before this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.