GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,374 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Endeavor or Navigador and why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about either one, but to help people out, I assume these are the games being considered:

Endeavor
Navigator

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
peakhope wrote:
I know nothing about either one, but to help people out, I assume these are the games being considered:

Endeavor
Navigator

Correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your preference in regards of hitting directly on one specific opponent. In Endeavor you literally overtake colonies from opponents. In Navegador you are staying at a more indirect interaction.

If you have no problem with the above, try Endeavor. If you would rather not have that direct interaction, you may opt for Navegador.

They are both good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
pratchettfan777 wrote:
peakhope wrote:

Endeavor
Navigator

Correct!

Really? Navigator is a 2005 web-published game (average rating 3.25, two ratings only).

Are you sure you're not asking about Navegador?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
SteveK2 wrote:
pratchettfan777 wrote:
peakhope wrote:

Endeavor
Navigator

Correct!

Really? Navigator is a 2005 web-published game (average rating 3.25, two ratings only).

Are you sure you're not asking about Navegador?

Yes - The new Essen Navagador

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'm pretty sure you mean Navegador, not Navigator. I haven't yet played Navegador, but am eager to--Gerdt's other games are all excellent. The rondel is a great way to impose a rhythm on the game, and to force difficult decisions in every turn.

Two differences are apparent: Navegador will be a lot less "fiddly" than Endeavor (pretty much a given for any game that does not require placing 96 little chips onto circles on the board at setup). Also, Navegador deals with similar theme on a smaller scale--individual ships and explorers instead of entire nations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
skipsizemore wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure you mean Navegador, not Navigator. I haven't yet played Navegador, but am eager to--Gerdt's other games are all excellent. The rondel is a great way to impose a rhythm on the game, and to force difficult decisions in every turn.

Two differences are apparent: Navegador will be a lot less "fiddly" than Endeavor (pretty much a given for any game that does not require placing 96 little chips onto circles on the board at setup). Also, Navegador deals with similar theme on a smaller scale--individual ships and explorers instead of entire nations.

Hey thanks John - I am leaning toward the Rondel game myself as it is 2-5 players where a the other cannot accommodate 2 players. Thanks again for the advice.

BTW what are a couple of Gerdt's most popular?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pratchettfan777 wrote:
Hey thanks John - I am leaning toward the Rondel game myself as it is 2-5 players where a the other cannot accommodate 2 players.

Actually, Endeavor does in fact have an official 2 player version, so they're both 2-5. And it's excellent. It's just not printed in the rules. 2 Player Endeavor

I'd pick Endeavor myself, it feels more unique when I play it. I like the way you build up your own action pool, but they become blocked and you have to free them up before you can use them again.

I liked Navegador as well, but it felt a bit more "normal Euro" to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
pratchettfan777 wrote:
Hey thanks John - I am leaning toward the Rondel game myself as it is 2-5 players where a the other cannot accommodate 2 players.

Actually, Endeavor does in fact have an official 2 player version, so they're both 2-5. And it's excellent. It's just not printed in the rules. 2 Player Endeavor

I'd pick Endeavor myself, it feels more unique when I play it. I like the way you build up your own action pool, but they become blocked and you have to free them up before you can use them again.

I liked Navegador as well, but it felt a bit more "normal Euro" to me.

Quite interesting and thanks Steve!meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Endeavor but not Navigador.

Below is my post about my play of Endeavor:

I played my first games of Endeavor earlier this week. Four games in fact. I enjoyed playing the game, but felt like something was missing. Who was I while I was playing? Was I the English? The French? The Spanish? I didn't know and in game terms it didn't matter. As I reflected on it I realized I was merely placing tokens, playing chits and choosing buildings in a generic universe. All the sides and most things about the areas being "discovered" were really generic. I liked the mechanics and play of the game; I didn't like that there was virtually no connection to the European countries that historically played the major roles during this time of discovery.

If Navigador does a better job of giving you feeling for the period, then I recommend going with it. I have not played Endeavor again since I posted thr above. Not that it's a bad game, I'mjust not drawn to play it again due to it's lack of period feel.

There is a really good review of Navigador on that games BGG site. Also, a friend of mine attended BGG Con and played Navigador several times and it was his favorite game of the Con. He has played Endeavor quite a bit and just raved about Navigador.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
skipsizemore wrote:

Navegador will be a lot less "fiddly" than Endeavor (pretty much a given for any game that does not require placing 96 little chips onto circles on the board at setup).

You place over a hundred pieces of wood and cardboard on the board at the beginning of the game in Navegador...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Gonser

Spokane Valley
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You place over a hundred pieces of wood and cardboard on the board at the beginning of the game in Navegador...

I've never timed it, but I'd guess that set up of Navegador takes less than 5 minutes. I'd not categorize Navegador as fiddly if you're comparing it to any of the recent Euro hits: Agricola, Puerto Rico, Through The Ages.

Well the above poster might be correct that there are over 100 pieces, they only fall into a few categories which (if presorted) allow for a quick set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say setup is about the same, myself. For Navegador, you've got to put out the 50 pieces of wood on the board, and shuffle three different stacks of tiles, and deal them into 12 separate spaces. Yes, you can individually bag them, but opening all those bags adds time.

Endeavor has more pieces, but it's all in one bag and it's just dump into one pile in the middle of the board, and slide them around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.