GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Dreadnought» Forums » Variants

Subject: OPTIONAL DAMAGE RULE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damage above "2G" and "2S" is cumulative. If reach both "3G" and "3S" the ship sunks. (this is the same rule that you can find in "Salvo" or "salvo II).

Poor odds in the combat results table: The DRM is -1 for each odd below 1:1. Example: 4 damage points againsts a defence factor of 6. you roll in the CRT ratio of 1:1, but if the die rolled are 6, the result is 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
agit prop
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested, I'm working on a new damage table that adds some variability. Essentially, each time a damage result is called for, a DR on the "effect" table can mitigate or worsen the result. For instance, a "G" result might become a "NE", or become a G(1) (Result applies for one turn and is automatically removed), or become a G(#) (requires a DR less than or equal to # to remove), or G (normal result. G(1) and G(#) results do not accrue against the ship's damage control limit; however, a player may decide to attempt to remove the result using their damage control option.

I also have created an alternate critical hit table, that weighs the result against the armor rating + type of damage. Technically, *any* damage result can be a critical hit, but I allow for any G or S (normal) result to mean a critical hit is possible (DR for critical hit possibility based on armor factor), and then the type/severity drives the outcome. Outcomes include R (rudder, with DR to indicate left/right/none), GX (no further gunfire the rest of game), SX (no further movement rest of game), +1G damage or +1S damage, or sunk.

BTW, I've always hated the "wreck" rule, so I've determined to allow players to use DC to remove hits even if wrecked, up to their DC limit. However, once wrecked, I also have a special Wrecked Critical Hit table, which must be rolled for each turn that a 2G2S result exists against a ship (outcomes: a wrecked ship can potentially remove a "S" from the result, but no further DC rolls are allowed, or it can sink). This reflects damage so severe that explosion or capsizing can occur, or the ship can (potentially) limp off the field.

FWIW, I've not completed my development of these variant tables, but once I have, I will distribute to anyone interested for playtesting/tweaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.