Subject: I was told by the BGG this doesn't qualify as a review. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Phillips
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow this game really seemed to be appealing. Variable player powers and variable player races and hundreds of combinations. A great theme and great art work. You can attack your opposition but not eliminate them from the game entirely.

I was really excited to play this game. I played it multiple times with multiple game groups and came to the same conclusion. The game play is lacking. There is nothing exciting about attacking your enemy. If you have more pieces you win. How exciting was that?

In fact the only real decision to be made in the game is when to decline a race and start a new race. So your making maybe one or two real decisions in the game.

60 to 90 minutes a game is a long time to play to only have two real decisions.

The last thing I hate about this game is how many pieces you have to deal with. Lots of chits and markers. At the end of the game when I'm putting it up, I always think the game wasn't worth the trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that it was because it is so short (seems more like a comment than a review).

While I am not aware of any strict minimum length, yours is about half the size of the current shortest review for Small World (181 words = 51% of 351 words).

(edit: originally had a type with 151 words instead of 181 which made the % way off. The calculation was correct, the typing was just mangled.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

While I am not aware of any strict minimum length, yours is about half the size of the current shortest review for Small World (151 words = 51% of 351 words).

did you really take the time to count the words!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
EvanMinn wrote:

While I am not aware of any strict minimum length, yours is about half the size of the current shortest review for Small World (151 words = 51% of 351 words).

did you really take the time to count the words!?

No, I just pasted it into my text editor and it tells me (number of characters and lines too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
151 words = 51% of 351 words

More like 43%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
I thought it was because all the fan boys wouldn't let me say anything negative about small world. I'm not upset that they didn't count it as a review. I just want people to know the game doesn't deserve the high rating it has on the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There's little correlation between how you feel about the game and whether the game deserves its high rating. Your opinion does not make its rating, based on other people's opinions, undeserved. Unless you have some sort of god complex and believe your opinion is innately more true than that of other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not? It has very colourful artwork, many expansions, huge numbers of rules exceptions for the races and powers, a die, and a big square box. Some people even think it's a wargame.

What else could you possibly want to make a game highly rated?

And no, I think your review was declined because it didn't actually say much about anything. Try explaining what you didn't like about it and why.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
There's little correlation between how you feel about the game and whether the game deserves its high rating. Your opinion does not make its rating, based on other people's opinions, undeserved. Unless you have some sort of god complex and believe your opinion is innately more true than that of other people.

Ha. See Agricola weight thread

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
You get geek gold for reviews, so something so short is usually rejected, otherwise people would put up short paragraph comments about things and label them as a review for the geek gold.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senseless wrote:
EvanMinn wrote:
151 words = 51% of 351 words

More like 43%

That's a typo. The 151 should be 181.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it shouldnt. In order for it to be a review, you'd need to substantiate your opinions much more. You barely scratch the surface of the game.

I think a review should really follow the background, summary, critique, summation format for writing one, so at least 4 good paragraphs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
I suspect that it was because it is so short (seems more like a comment than a review).

and yet, his review is just as long as the parts of most of the standard reviews "that I actually read".

me: I always skips past everything and just read the "Conclusion" or "final thoughts"

I could careless about a rule explanations or game overviews in a review. I just want to know what their opinion is.

Imo, this post counts as a review just as much as any other one does.

to the OP.. in the future, I guess you'll just have to copy/paste the rules and then tack on your opinion to the end if you want this to show up in the reviews section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
[q="EvanMinn"]

me: I always skips past everything and just read the "Conclusion" or "final thoughts"

I could careless about a rule explanations or game overviews in a review. I just want to know what their opinion is.

That's me too. I usually just read the first couple paragraphs, skim the rest, look at the pictures and then read the conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry k
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:
[q="EvanMinn"]

That's me too. I usually just read the first couple paragraphs, skim the rest, look at the pictures and then read the conclusion.

Yup. I'm more interested in the overall experience - how does the game feel? What's fun about it? What's not? Reading about the rules and the rule exceptions doesn't give an accurate picture of what it's like to play. I definitely think this is a good review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thaphillips wrote:
I thought it was because all the fan boys wouldn't let me say anything negative about small world. I'm not upset that they didn't count it as a review. I just want people to know the game doesn't deserve the high rating it has on the geek.

LOL

It's not a review. It's a rant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
thaphillips wrote:

In fact the only real decision to be made in the game is when to decline a race and start a new race. So your making maybe one or two real decisions in the game.

You're not playing it right. There is much more to the game than this. See the numerous strategy articles about token count, etc.

And yeah, I think a positive review that was this short would be likely to get declined as well. And just to be clear "BGG" didn't decline your review, some BGG users who were GeekModding (http://boardgamegeek.com/geekmod) did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, please recognize that the moderation system isn't meant to decide what qualifies as a "Review" or a "Session Report." When you click the button to submit something for moderation, it's because you think it's good and worth getting some geekgold for. I sincerely doubt anyone rejected this because they're Small World "fanboys," there are plenty of negative reviews for all kinds of games that make it through. I suspect most people rejected it because it was not very long, not very insightful, had an egregious grammatical error, and was not very helpful in understanding why someone would or wouldn't enjoy the game.

You're welcome to post the review in the Reviews section without taking any GG for it, though. That would have been easier than complaining about Geekmod, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After all, review modding is handed out randomly and most right-thinking people think Small World is a bit naff

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
BGG reviews are expected to be verbose. It's like high school (at least in the US): content and communication are irrelevant, it's all about word count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
BGG reviews are expected to be verbose. It's like high school (at least in the US): content and communication are irrelevant, it's all about word count.

Pish. If you can contribute a review which is interesting and informative giving useful information and actually telling us something about the game, it'll be fine.

BGG is actually like kindergarten because you only get thumbs for vastly too many colourful pictures.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thaphillips wrote:

Well, we can draw a conclusion from your posts. Not about Small World, of course, but we can draw a conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
BGG is actually like kindergarten because you only get thumbs for vastly too many colourful pictures.

Don't forget pictures of breasts. Now that I think of it, that too counts as a similarity between BGG and kindergarten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People LOVE well thought out reviews that are anti the game they're reviewing. Generally far more useful than positive love-in reviews.
However that's longer, well thought out reviews...Not a short ranty comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short and to the point
HamsterOfFury wrote:
However that's longer, well thought out reviews...Not a short ranty comment.
Didn't come across as a rant. I agree with the central criticism that race decline is the only substantive decision to be made. The rest of the time it's VP crunching, so the games plays you.
He found that dull. I couldn't agree more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.