Hide
3 Posts

The Isle of Doctor Necreaux» Forums » Rules

Subject: Missunderstanding or is this game impossible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Fuja
msg tools
I must be missing something about this game but I don't see how you can win it.

In a 5 player game you have 8 turns. It seems like in an average game you may get maybe 3 extra turns as the game goes on. So 11 turns but a few of them you will use on rests. So maybe 7 or so turns you have to get through most of the deck. Depending on your character traits and what stuff you get you might be able to burn through a few extra cards here and there through the game. But even still an average game you have 7ish turns to get through 60-70 cards, Thus would mean you have a speed or 10 or 11 every turn and thus all traps even fail or succeed automatically.

Am I just missing something? If you were to take speeds of like 4 or 5 so traps are actually relevant even in the best of cases you are going to get through maybe 50-60 cards assuming you don't run into anything that ends your turn early and never take a rest.

I just don't understand how it is supposed to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games are two players. Our usual speed is eight. Yes, that means we don't usually roll for traps.

We win more than we lose.

Of course, that doesn't mean you aren't misunderstanding the game, but you are right in guessing that you have to (usually) move fast enough that you won't bother rolling for traps (although once you have the scientists, that's really not a problem).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to share your questions.

Funny thing: There's another recent poster who thinks it's virtually impossible to lose with three or more players. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/587631/broken-game

I know the game is winnable with 3+ players, but I've never seen a winning streak of five or more games with 3+ players. I should ask him for hints.

Senf71 wrote:
If you were to take speeds of like 4 or 5 so traps are actually relevant even in the best of cases you are going to get through maybe 50-60 cards assuming you don't run into anything that ends your turn early and never take a rest.

I just don't understand how it is supposed to work.

There have been a few BGG Necreaux threads that discuss this exact issue. A word of warning: These articles and discussions typically contain "spoilers" I dug around a little bit and found this one: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/435595/questions-for-the-des...-

All of the spoilers come down to the following hints:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1) The Sliding Wall trap is good for your team, not bad. It lets you draw more cards more safely with every countdown token. Example: Without an active Sliding Wall trap, if you draw 8 cards, you'll hit every "high triggered" trap in those eight cards. With an active Sliding Wall trap, you can have each team draw four cards (for a total of eight) and each team has a 1:3 chance of evading each trap they draw.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
2) The game tricks you into thinking you have to draw more than six cards per turn, every turn, in order to win. If you do this, you are very, very likely to lose. In a worst-case scenario your average speed needs to be 9.625. That doesn't mean that you always have to run at 9.625 every turn. If you start at speeds of five and six, build up your items and charges on your cards, and gradually accelerate, you can make some astonishing progress. With a little early caution, strategic decision making, and a dash of luck, you're likely to find yourself declaring speeds at the end of the game that you never would have thought possible when you started the game. You're also more likely to win.

I hope you find these tips helpful, and that they lead you to successfully foil the diabolical doctor's fiendish plot. Thanks again for taking the time to write. I sincerely appreciate it.

Best regards,

Jonathan Leistiko
--
A game of post-apocalyptic dystopian politics
http://inevitablethegame.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.