Subject: Easy for NON GAMERS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Is this easy for Non gamers that only play texas holdem and have kinda short attention spans to pick up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Easy for NON GAMERS?
oboman2002 (#457615),

It's easy for anyone to pick up (save the horse cards, but they can be figured out"). Unfortunately, for the first time you play it, you should ask everyone to stretch out their attention spans. It takes a little learning. Not much -- just a tiny bit of getting used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tibbitts
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've taken a few people who only play Poker, Spades and video games through it. Some of them almost walked before things could get good, but after a full play everyone was hooked and now they call me up and ask to come over to play.

The game is a bit fiddly; there are questions as to whether Bang! cards work for things, or cards with Bang! symbols on them, and the like. There are some counter-intuitive issues that you have to explain, like "you could hit him with your gun, but he's riding two horses in his hideout so he's out of range" that have people looking for more literal explanations scratching their heads.

It's certainly helpful if someone who knows the rules and has read the FAQs can be around to answer all the questions. Otherwise you'll waste all of your time looking in the rules. And whatever you do, don't use High Noon or Dodge City the first couple of plays. You can leave out the characters as well; if you do use them, consider dropping the ones with three bullets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McMillan
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the notion of leaving out the character powers for your first time through. The other thing to watch out for is the difficulty many groups have absorbing the role-playing aspect. By that I mean, getting new players to play in character as outlaws, deputies, or renegades can be a challenge.

For example, I have repeatedly seen a newbie player blast away at the sheriff, only to be later revealed as a deputy. "Why the heck did you shoot your own sheriff?," I would demand in a huff. "Oh, I just like shooting Bob. He ate my last piece of pizza last night."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 (#457615),

In general, yes, the game is easy to pickup. The only problem newbies tend to have is remembering which each of the cards do (e.g. Indians, General Store, etc).

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Postlewaite
United States
Flossmoor
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oboman2002 (#457615),

For a group that usually plays poker, I wonder if you might want to add a betting aspect. You could pay to play a bang card into a pool that pays out to survivors, with the higher payouts to the longer survivors. Or add betting to the duels: when a duel is played the person playing it makes a bet that can be called or raised by his opponent, then called or raised by the first player, until a bet is called and the duel is held, winner takes the pot. If the original player won't call a raise he has to take back the duel card. This not only adds the wagering and bluffing that poker fans love, but creates intermediate results before the big finale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 (#457615),

Absolutely perfect for non-gamers. Any simpler and you'd be playing snap. I've never bothered leaving out the character abilities and all the non-gamers I've played with have found it easy to pick up.

Great fun and very simple to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks for everyone's response...i may buy this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i just played this in the local pub with 5 mates 5 mins out of the pack started playing very easy!!!

got some rules mixed up at the start playing beer like missed , 2nd game was fab and quicker!

my mates in this instance are non gamers!

I was wowed and they want me to bring it back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.