Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Stalin stumbles and Trotsky gets the ax in this history lesson cleverly disguised as a board game
Peso Pete wrote:
This is probably the perfect "State Of Siege" game for me. Israeli Independence was a little too light for me and The Lost Cause stretched the limits of complexity for me, but this one is just right.

My thoughts exactly - I've enjoyed the heck out of Levée en Masse and most recently Ottoman Sunset, two games that are in the same 'sweet spot' as Soviet Dawn.

Israeli Independence has a role as an introductory game, and serves its purpose very well in my opinion.

The Lost Cause is a "deluxe" release in the series, and I need to set aside some dedicated time to work my way through it. The ACW topic is compelling.

Oh, a very entertaining report by the OP (thnx).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Stalin stumbles and Trotsky gets the ax in this history lesson cleverly disguised as a board game
Sounds like Lenin is throwing everyone under the bus.

Seriously, keep at it. The game rewards repeated play and has all sorts of hidden treasures. Moreover, repeated playing creates deeper layers of narrative meaning and tension. I passed 500 hundred plays long ago. Still a gem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game this morning and was floored. I've own Soviet Dawn for nearly a year, yet never had the opportunity or real enthusiasm to play it.

The game is a treat as an historical foray and Leviloff's design is amazing. Before Soviet Dawn, Zulus and Israeli were my only SoS games. Soviet Dawn has creative variations to those two games which enhances the tension and excitement.

At Steve Carey, okay, I may have to purchase Ottoman and Levee in the near future! Thanks for the insight and comparison to Soviet Dawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
At Steve Carey, okay, I may have to purchase Ottoman and Levee in the near future! Thanks for the insight and comparison to Soviet Dawn.

You're welcome, Jonan - I don't make recommendations lightly, so I think they both will work out for you.

Oh, there's another SoS game you may be interested in We Must Tell the Emperor... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
I went over and looked at Emperor. Wow, That's a gorgeous-looking game.
One more the next-VPG-purchase list. Thanks and congratulations on the game's release and future success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.