Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Blue Moon City» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Annual Blue Moon City Grudge Match and Cold Turkey Game Took Place. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Paul
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how it all started, but on Thanksgiving weekend my nephews Gibby and Mike come over and my cousin Alan joins us. Each believes he is the smartest person in the room (If you don't believe me, just ask them). We will play some friendly games of Citadels, Dominion and perhaps Settlers, but we are just sharping the knives and making sure the guns are loaded, because THE GRUDGE MATCH IS COMING.

At a certain point in the evening a darkness comes over our souls, a nod is given and the women whisk away and children or vulnerable souls to another room. The game of Blue Moon Cities is put in the middle of the table and the four of us slowly come to the table like a stooge in a Lovecraft novel being summoned by an Ancient One.

It was 9:00PM last night at my Mother-in-laws house in Chicopee, Massachusetts. The game was set up, the cards were passed out and in a ceremony whose origins nobody recalls, three white marbles and a red marble were placed in a bag. The one who draws the red marble (FIRST BLOOD) goes first. I drew it this year and the game was on.

I always try to pick up as many dragon scales as I can. I placed the majority in a sector on my first move and then waited on my second move to add up cards. After the first sectors are completed and turned over, I swoop in on my second move to with the extra cards to rebuild a neighboring section to be the only contributor to that sector and to draw the adjacent bonuses first.

Soon the trash talking starts. You better have a thick skin, because no subject of the past is off limits as each try to use words to bash the others egos. In this game I heard some good ones. The trick is not to swear or use offensive language, (For we are in a devoutly Christian home) but to talk trash that accomplishes the same thing using acceptable language. This is a literary feat that we all seem to rise to the occasion for.

I won the battle of dragon scales, but everyone else managed to have at least three so my victories were not as great. Toward the end we all had 3 sacrifices in the obelisk (Only four are needed to win the 4 player game). Gibby had enough crystals after he completed a building on an outreaching tile but he didn't have a card to move his token and could only move close enough to the center so that he could score on the next round. I completed a city and gained enough crystals to complete a winning sacrifice. But I would have to wait for my next turn. Mike had enough crystals also but like Gibby could only move to the section next to the obelisk. So it was Alan's move. He was also three moves from the center. Only 4 round crystal disks sat in front of him and he only had two cards in his hands. We thought Gibby was getting set to win and we aimed out frustrations at him.

Alan played one card to move to the center and then turned over his four discs which added up to 12 crystals and he made the winning sacrifice. The groans from all of us would have sent Cthulhu returning his octopus face back to his cave.

The game ended, the police didn't have to be called (This time). Alan will have bragging rights till the next game. Until next year on Thanksgiving weekend, we can return to our civilized natures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liviu Semacovschi
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, you should become a novelist! It might be just because you mentioned his name, but I think your writing style somewhat resembles Lovecraft's.
I look forward to reading your first novel!
And by the way, thanks for the very entertaining story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.