Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hyman
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never liked the roll and move mechanic in games; it always seems like it is used in games where you are advancing towards a goal, and it randomizes what should be decided strategically. Smart Ass gives a really fun game experience for the group I play it with, but I wanted to see if it would be even better if I could remove rolling of the numbered die. I got that chance last night, and here are my findings.

My suggested replacement for rolling the numbered die was to have it so that a player moves more spaces the quicker he or she yells out the correct answer. I wanted to keep the maximum spaces per turn the same as allowed by the die and also realized you couldn't evenly divide ten clues by four. What was agreed upon was that if someone got it right after reading clues 1-3, he or she would move 4 spaces; after clues 4-6, 3 spaces; after clues 7-9, 2 spaces; and after the last clue, 1 space.

For the first game, this is all we changed. During the game we realized we had to do something about the "hard ass" space since if the player answering got it right, he or she would normally roll and move again. One player suggested that if the questioner chose which of the questions on the card to ask and the answerer got it right, the answerer got to move 3 spaces; if the answerer chose the question (randomly saying 1 or 2) and got it right, the answerer got to move 2 spaces. I didn't really like this way, but that is how we played the first game and thought of a way to change it for the second game.

For the second game, I suggested that we ignore "dumb ass" and "kick ass." I liked the idea of a bonus move with "hard ass" but I didn't like the rule we came up with for it. I thought of another and suggested we play such that the questioner chooses one of the "hard ass" questions (presumably the one he or she thinks would be harder for the answerer); if the answerer gets it right, he or she moves 4 spaces. If the answerer gets it wrong, the questioner asks the other question; if the answerer gets it right, he or she moves 2 spaces. This game was quite fun and it seemed to be working now.

For the third game, everything remained the same and it went great again. I think I have the variant nailed down now and like it as much as the game as written.

Variant rule changes:
* The numbered die is not used in the game. Instead of rolling the numbered die when you answer correctly, you move a number of spaces depending on when you answered the question. If you answered after clues 1-3 are read, you move 4 spaces; after clues 4-6, 3 spaces; after clues 7-9, 2 spaces; and after clue 10, 1 space.

* When you land on "hard ass," the questioner selects one of the questions on the "hard ass" card and reads it. If you get it right, you move 4 spaces. If you get it wrong, the questioner asks the other question. If you get it right, you move 2 spaces. If you get it wrong, you don't get a bonus move.

* Ignore the "kick ass" and "dumb ass" rules when you land on those spaces.

* All other rules remain the same.

Observations:
* The game length is about the same.
* Guaranteed greater movement for answering quicker does motivate players to offer an answer quicker.
* There seems to be more tension in the game.
* Now I am wondering about the other die ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Barger
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hey, let's play some games!
badge
What's your favorite game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! My wife and I love this game but I loathe die rolling, hope to try your variant soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
The owls are not what they seem.
badge
I've got good news. That gum you like is going to come back in style.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this last night but the dice rolling and landing on the bad spaces were a pain in the ass. This fixes the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, I thought it was fun as-is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.