GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,342 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: looking for negotiation or cooprative games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
binyamin zalzman
Israel
beit-el
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my name is binyamin zalzman i work with games helping special children that have pdd nos , asperger and such, so they have problems with comunication.
so i need games that will make them talk to each other in a meaningfull way so i need cooporitive game or negotiation games and they have to apeal to girls too
they have to be simple [panademic and arkhahm horror are way to hard
the children are 9-12 in age but some have also some understanding problems
the game have to be langueage independent or easly translated with paste ups
i have casttle panic and its great for the boys not the girls
i have sabatour which is good [i alow them to cooparate]
i have quo vadis and i bougth forbiden island
but i need more games off those sort
i have china town but its too hard for them i also translated shadows over camelot but its a bit too complicated i also have red submarine or red october also mainly for boys
i tried too look here in bgg bye mechanic but i got games that are not even rated or old and i dont know if they are any good i would love to get recomendatins from you i will be gratefull for any help you can give me
my e-mail is zelzman_b@bezeqint.net
thanks in advance binyamin zalzman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This company has a wide range of simple cooperative play games:
Family Pastimes
They might be suitable for your needs.
Maybe Clue as well? It's not cooperative but there is a lot of back & forth as you have to ask each other questions a lot.
and maybe Never Ending Stories? Not a coop, but it is a simple story telling game based on laying tiles with pictures on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotland Yard works OK - easy to understand and quite fun. I have a son with Asperger's and he enjoys it, and plays quite well. The negotiations/cooperation are totally in the open so you don't have to worry about any lack of understanding about what other players might know (e.g. if you know it, you might assume that others also do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Abrunhosa
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Monster Chase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mueller
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I would suggest Bohnanza. It has a lot of trading and negotiation, but is very non-confrontational. The game consists of cards, so the cost is low. It can play up to 10, and is very visual.

I would also suggest Settlers of Catan. It is iconic and requires some setup, but it can be played with simplification of rules (such as no robber, or no cards). The trading mechanism is cooperative, but the building mechanism is confrontational...

Heyswyndon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Wherewolves. There is a leader who tells the story, it has clear rules. They have to watch eachothers bodylanguage very closely and talk about who they think is gonna be the werewolf and tell each other why. All of this a fun non threatening way.

Groetjes van Inge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inga wrote:
I would suggest Wherewolves. There is a leader who tells the story, it has clear rules. They have to watch eachothers bodylanguage very closely and talk about who they think is gonna be the werewolf and tell each other why. All of this a fun non threatening way.

Groetjes van Inge

I have to say I would disagree with this suggestion. Obviously people with Asperger's exhibit the condition in a variety of ways, so what would work with one person wouldn't necessarily work with another. So my comment is no more than a general observation.

However, I suspect that almost any of them would find this incomprehensible. I suspect that they would most likely be unable to read each others' body language. Also, they would find it very difficult to project a false impression, or even really understand the concept of why they should. Finally, I can see a lot of problems when one of them (especially an innocent victim) is voted to die. The reaction would be very unlikely to be gentlemanly, let's just say that!

We have also played Saboteur and this worked OK. It helps that the theme is much lighter and funnier, and that there are real clues in terms of what cards people have played where. My son isn't desperately good at bluffing but enjoys the game.

Another Dwarf mining game which has some of the elements you're looking at is Incan Gold. The elements of 'Will I stay or will I go?', 'What will the others do?' together with a semi-co-operative 'we're all in this together' feeling might fit the bill.

Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I work with adults with disabilities. I have had great success with scotland yard and castle panic. I have also had success with Carcassonne.

I am currently working my way through PeakHope's comprehensive list of purely cooperative games for games that I can use with the individuals that I work with. Check out the header of the list for a huge collection of games that you might like that aren't purely cooperative games. Kevin's list is a masterful piece of game sub-categorization within the "catchall" category of coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
However, I suspect that almost any of them would find this incomprehensible. I suspect that they would most likely be unable to read each others' body language. Also, they would find it very difficult to project a false impression, or even really understand the concept of why they should.

As someone who has grown up with a mild (but undiagnosed) case of Asperger's, Ed is absolutely correct. Body language and lying that makes Werewolf fun for many people is completely lost on us, and not only not fun, but a boring, random waste of time.

I do think you are trying to force things in an unproductive way as most negotiation games I can think of require players evaluate the value of items on the spot with little point of reference to evaluate these items, such as the case with For Sale. If these kids feel that they are being forced into talking to each other, they may become resentful of your efforts.

If you feel that you must try this path, Bob and Eddy's suggestions of Scotland Yard, Bohnanza, and a non-confrontational version of Settlers would probably work.

How about using something like Ingenious or Ubongo where the kids can play as a small group and cooperatively solve the puzzles? Sure, they're abstract, but a fair number of people with Asperger's are puzzle solvers by nature and working together to solve the puzzles would open up discussions that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Forbidden Islandfor a great cooperative game that will appeal to a younger group and will be simple to pick up and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic is a favorite at my house. Check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Dragon Keeper two years ago in Essen.
It's cooperative, and fairly language independent (there's some cards with names, but the action is mostly colour based).
You do need a game leader to guide the strategy: In our first game, we assumed a game for 6yo would be simple enough to keep under control for adults... boy, were we wrong *shamefaced*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second Forbidden Island as an option - to me, it is Pandemic-lite (i.e. the basic mechanics feel the same, but is much easier for kids to frasp), and my 9-year old absolutely loved it (we've only played once so far, but we're itching to get it to the table again). The adventure theme likely has more appeal to both boys and girls than Castle Panic (another one listed that I recommend), and the theme appeals to kids more than Pandemic.

Another "game" I regularly recommend for kids of all ages and abilities is Rory's Story Cubes. While not a game per se, it can be played as a cooperative story-telling exercise, with each child rolling their story cubes(s) and contributing to the story thread. Very simple, yet there is something very appealing about this to all the kids I've played this with. The pictures are generally interesting to kids, and they help facilitate creativity and story-telling ability. When I play this with my two kids, it becomes a cooperative exercise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hoagland Family
United States
Mount Holly
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Bohnanza. I have children in that age range, boys and girls, and they all love it. I would also recommend Clue, but played without the dice and just letting them move the suspects where they want. This makes the game faster and less frustrating, especially for the kids you're working with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9yr old is diagnosed PDD NOS / Autism Spectrum with communication difficulties, and the other aspect of this is that his emotions at this stage only really allow him to enjoy cooperative games, so I totally get where you're coming from ..

We play a lot of Castle Panic, and Break The Safe which is an oldie though still easy to find mint copies available on ebay..

Another one that might be good if you have the numbers to split the kids into two teams is Word On The Street (original or junior - you could even make your own question cards) ..

Hope this Helps meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm going to add another vote for Forbidden Island. It's easy enough to learn, highly cooperative, sturdily built, and has great graphics and game components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thinh Nguyen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
As a family therapist I work with a similar population of children with poor communication needs. I second Forbidden Island as a good game to encourage communication and interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raygun1966 wrote:
Castle Panic is a favorite at my house. Check it out!

+1 for Castle Panic - Not as much communication or negotiation as other games, but might be a good introduction to the subjects.

+1 for Bohnanza - This would be a graduate level course for these kids. Much more interaction than Castle Panic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.