Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've read countless times how following the example of play will help you learn the game. So I am doing just that and i have a question, which I am sure someone will easily answer and I will feel foolish for not finding it in the rule book.

On Germany's turn 2 the example has Alex play a Fire Order with a marksmanship Action on the Squad in H8 and fire at O10. Their is a leader with a Command of 2. There is also a LMG on the squad.

The range of the Squad is 6 (4 + 2 for CR) the target is 7 hexes away. The squad still shoots, then the example follows up with the LMG firing which of course has a range of 8.

In the rule book the only thing I can find is:

For a Fire Order to be announced, at least one of the activated units (or its Weapon) must have an enemy unit within both its LOS and Range.

Below that is an example and a snippet says:

You could also activate a 2-Range Team to fire even if the nearest enemy unit is three or more hexes away if that Team was carrying a Weapon capable of firing at that enemy unit.

I read that as, ok that unit can fire because it is firing a weapon with the range needed. Thus it uses the weapon when attacking.

However the example of play leads me to believe that the squad doesn't have range, but it carries the LMg which does. So both it and the LMG get an attack.

Doesn't seem logical too me, but that's how the rules and example read and I am sure I am over thinking this and that is the rule. Just looking for confirmation.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The range of the Squad is 6 (4 + 2 for CR) the target is 7 hexes away.

A unit's range is the middle number along the bottom. So the Rifle squad in the example has a range of 5 (+2 for Command) = 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I just figured this out and came to post, But thanks for posting.

Helps if you put the right chit out blush

I was so busy trying to figure out what I possibly missed in the rules and spent so much time on it, If I had just continued the example and got to the morale checks I would of noticed that I had the wrong chit out.

Lesson learned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ran that scenario again last night myself, finished it up this morning. It's a great way to learn the system, and I'll fire it up if I haven't played CC in a while. I had one of the most fantastic finishes *evar* in this game. The fight centered around the 10vp building in the middle of the map, as usual. After a very hard back and forth, the Russians captured it in turn 3.

Both sides saw re-enforcements, the germans getting a medium mortar and team popped up in A9 (how conveeeeeenient )which helped to break the squad that was in the building along with Sgt. Kaminsky. (A couple of Russian Squads had been shot up and routed back into the woods, and another one went deep along the German side after taking objective 2 in melee, in an attempt to loop back up and also get objective 1, so for a while, the middle of the board was pretty empty of Russian units). Kaminsky, along with a squad and an MG, were desperately trying to hold the building against the inevitable German counterattack while the the rest of the Russians could recover and get back in the fight.

Sgt Ganz, his squad & MG and an added hero has made an early dash from their starting location in H8 to F8 to get away from that pesky infantry gun in 010, then eased into E8 when the coast was clear. From there they moved adjacent to F6, preparing for the advance into melee. By that time, the squad had been broken by the mortar and killed by a sniper shot, so it was down to Kamninsky. Ganz and co. advanced into melee...Germans got ambushed, so total fp was 7 (Ganz got suppressed along the way) for the Germans, and a hefty 1 for Kaminsky, who rolled a 9 for a total of 10. Not bad, but it wasn't looking to good with what the Germans had to start with. But, when the Germans turned over their card--it was SNAKEEYES for a 9! So Kaminsky ended up taking out the whole busload of germans and putting them over their surrender level. I laughed so hard I thought I'd hurt myself. He must have seen the whole thing coming--whatever preparations he made, they paid off, and he got Hero of the Soviet Union for his troubles.

This one had everything--re-enforcements, a very early "Time" event, lots of successful sniper attacks, some good rolls from the weapons team and the infantry gun including some crucial smoke, most of the MGs eventually breaking, and even a few successful routs...tough against units in cover & with a leader, but for broken units in the open--like there will likely be for the Russkies on the way to objective 5--you can get lucky.

Anyway, you will have tons of fun with CC...the rules aren't too hard, and you have the Man® himself to answer questions in case you get stuck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ashamed to admit I have had the game for a while now and all the expansions. I just have no opponents to play it against. I was pretty sure I had the rules down and for the heck of it today decided to go through the Example of play. I feel good, aside from that moment of foolishness I have a good grasp on it. Now I just need to find opponents.

This game really needs a computer version (not vasal) I think that would be fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan,

CC on Vassal works really well. There is an excellent series of CC Vassal tutorials too, plus many friendly blokes.

Give Fat Lipki a go and see what you think.

Regards,

Fentum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.