Anna Banana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm a brand new poster and relatively new to modern board games.
What are the best games in the Kosmos (Rio Grande 2 player) series?
The worst Kosmos games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG. The best way to find out about games with particular criteria is to use the advanced search function:

Publisher: Kosmos
Player Range: 2-2 (exact)

You can then get a list of games and sort them by rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kosec
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a game hobbyist. My wife will play the games, is good at them, and enjoys them, but she isn't really a "gamer."

These are the Kosmos games that we have, in the order BOTH of us would recommend them. Please note I am only mentioning ones that we have and have played--there may be a few others that catch your eye, as well.

1. Lost Cities (print out some scoring sheets here from BGG and put them in the box)
2. Perry Rhodan
3. Odin's Ravens
4. Blue Moon (this would be #1 or #2, but you do need to kind of get into this one for it really to work--it's great if you've played CCGs, though)
5. Jambo (Susie has told me, "I always forget about that one." It is great, though.)
6. Balloon Cup

My wife has actually requested more than once that we purchase Lost Cities for friends who are getting married. So that probably indicates a pretty strong recommendation from THIS couple.

Welcome to this great hobby! With good recommendations, and looking for what sounds like the most fun, you can find a great game for almost every situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends on what you are into. My favorites:

Lost Cities - Very light, goes over well with people who don't want a real complex game, but fun.
Medici vs Strozzi - Very thinky and mathy. Fun if you like that kind of thing. I do.
Times Square - Strange card game. I like it.
Balloon Cup - Much like Lost Cities; light, easy, and fun. Hard to get these days.
Blue Moon - Excellent a-little-bit-like-magic-but-not-expandable card game. Out of print though. Sorry.
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - Great little game. Perhaps my favorite of the "true" Kosmos 2p line; awesome game in a tiny little box. Hard to get, but there is a big "Deluxe" edition out now that is the same game, but no longer part of the Kosmos 2p line.

Odin's Ravens is very popular too but I don't find it all that interesting. Jambo seemed good but my wife didn't like it so I never got to play it very much; not sure how much I would like it long term.

If you want other two player games, I'd recommend both Biblios and Haggis strongly. They're great portable two player games. They would have fit right in to the Kosmos 2p line if only they had had the right publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reminder Ken. I always forget how helpful the advanced search is.

If you are more into browsing around, you click on the Kosmos Two-Player Series link that is found in each game from the series. From there you can jump to the Linked Items to see the games in the series and their rank, ratings, etc...

I will put a plug in for Jambo, Balloon Cup, Ingenious Travel & Lost Cities. Lots of fun to be found there.

As for worst, Crocodile Pool Party (from what I've read) seems to have risen to that distinction.

Have fun exploring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really enjoy Caesar & Cleopatra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I enjoy

Kahuna

and

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy playing Lost Cities, Jambo and Medici vs. Strozzi.

I really like Dracula. However, this game doesn't have the same mass appeal as many of the other Kosmos 2-Player games.

Good luck in your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the Kosmos 2-player games are pretty good...since you stated that you're fairly new to modern board games, I'd start with Lost Cities or Balloon Cup. They're both fun and fairly easy to pick up. After those you might try Kahuna, Jambo, or Odin's Ravens. And if you like dexterity games, Elk Fest is finger flicking good...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Banana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions (and the guidance on using the advanced search - it hadn't occured to me.

You've given lots of games to check out.

Some of my tiny collection:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to browse the The Kosmos 2 Player Game List: By Average Rating GL. It has most if not all games listed and some interesting information. Also check out the Kosmos_two-player_series wiki. It mentions two other Geeklists that might be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the many that I've played the only one's I've bought and kept were:
Hellas
Tally Ho!
Elk Fest

I haven't played Perry Rhodan yet, and suspect that I'll like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Anna!

Here are the ones I've enjoyed the most:
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (not technically part of the line, but might as well be)
The Rose King (very non-gamer friendly; I think it's underrated)
Finale (sports theme, also underrated)

I couldn't stand Dracula, and I found Heave Ho! and Times Square rather dull. Jambo was lot of process for very little payoff (you'd set off a long thread of trades to go from 10 bucks to 11; snore...)

This one's not in the line, but it's a new favorite for me and the wife: Jaipur. I recommend it without reservation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the Kosmos 2pl line I've tried, Lost Cities is my absolute favorite. It has a timeless quality to it - I could easily see people still playing it 50 years from now. I can't really say that about any of the other games in the line, though some are pretty good. Of the rest, my favorites are Jambo and Kahuna, though we burned out on Kahuna and I got rid of it some time ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jenkinson
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No mention of Hera and Zeus yet?! That was our very first board game purchase and sparked our hobby... a great 2-player game... except my fiance wins most of the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Quick
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I couldn't stand both Hellas and Odin's Ravens. Probably my favorite of the line is The Reef. Also good (imho) are Jambo, Ceasar and Cleopatra, and Balloon Cup (very cutthroat). Tally Ho! is also pretty good, though it is probably better for young gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Shoenberger
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have Lost Cities, Jambo, and Ingenious: Travel Edition, and they're among our most played games. I bought my wife Dragonheart for Christmas because it was on sale over at CSI.com. It looked good based on the Component Breakdown video, so we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerslake
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellas and Balloon Cup are my favourites from the Kosmos range. As a 2 player game fan, I'd also recommend the GIPF project range. Yinsh is a fantastic game. Oh, and Arena MUST be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Im in the minority, but I found Odin's Ravens simply awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Big thumbs up for Kahuna, Dracula, and Lost Cities. A nod and a wave to Odin's Ravens.

Many good games in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kahuna is probably my favorite. Really deep little game.

My least favorite I've played may be Odin's Ravens. Just too much luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenius

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you tally up all the responses so far, it appears that all of the Kosmos 2-player games are good, and all of them are not so good. Welcome to recommendations on BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
So if you tally up all the responses so far, it appears that all of the Kosmos 2-player games are good, and all of them are not so good. Welcome to recommendations on BGG :)

Well, a quick page search shows that at least everyone agrees Kahuna is awesome. So that's something, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Banana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Kahuna today & Martinque (based on Tom Vassal's review),
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.