Subject: What's a REAL wargame like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've often heard of "sand table" wargames performed in the military. I can't find the rules anywhere on BGG. What are they like? How do you play? How are combats resolved, movement allowances calculated, and so on? Are they of any recreational value, or merely yet another form of training?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
A lot of the early wargames were refereed.

I know the Japanese did wargaming that way -
I think there was some form of randomization though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
z morgan
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a currently serving Soldier, I can tell you that they are used mostly for briefing purposes (on the unit level). I'm sure they "wargame" at the upper echelons though (i.e. the Pentagon). Sandtables at the tactical level give leaders a way to move their elements around a 3D battlefield to explain their plan to subordinate leaders and Soldiers. So to answer your question, no real "rule set" per se, beyond Army doctrine and the rule of thumb for guessing what the enemy will do: "What is the enemy's most dangerous course of action, and what is their most probable course of action?" Incidentally, I use that principle in boardgames to pretty good effect.

As far as the high-level wargaming, I wish my books weren't all boxed up for my move because I have one from my father-in-law (who retired from the submarine force) about how those work. When I can get to it, I'll post the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does it look like when set up? Are there miniature tanks and so forth? Does the table actually have piles of sand on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
I've often heard of "sand table" wargames performed in the military. I can't find the rules anywhere on BGG. What are they like? How do you play? How are combats resolved, movement allowances calculated, and so on? Are they of any recreational value, or merely yet another form of training?

Called TEWTs in the British Army back then (Tactical Exercises Without Troops); according to John Masters in BUGLES AND A TIGER the young subaltern would be shown a problem and asked to give his response. It would then be criticised by the senior officer present. There were no rules just the appreciation of inexperience and experience. You can see a variety of this in Swinton's book THE DEFENCE OF DUFFER'S DRIFT where you are cast as a young officer in the Boer War defending an outpost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:

Some entries to consider:
The British Army Tactical Wargame (1956)
Dunn-Kempf Battle Guide to Simulation
Tacspiel: The American Army's War Game of the Vietnam War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a US Army combat engineer, I took part in "wargames" in the field. It would be interesting to see how the hypothetical versions played out at HQ, as I know several times when our unit achieved its objective (as did the battalion) the "enemy" seemed very surprised.

Take care,
Hil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Durando
France
Nantes
Pays de La Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the echelon and kind of exercise. I've worked in DIV and BDE CPs and those wargames are all about teamwork, dealing with input efficiently, and cutting good orders on time. When I first attended, I was surprised about how much teamwork is necessary. My observation about civilian wargames is that, with few exceptions, they allow you to plug into a game narrative at several different echelons. Military decision-making is less about brilliance than about bringing decisive force at the right moment. Commanders, in my experience, don't run nearly the same risks as civilian gamers do. They proceed from as much certainty as their staff can muster.

How do they do it in China, Jumbit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Durando
France
Nantes
Pays de La Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tc237 wrote:

Awesome green laser pointer! (Mission essential equipment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
What does it look like when set up? Are there miniature tanks and so forth? Does the table actually have piles of sand on it?

Originally they were used by the military as planning models. After WW2 some gamers went on to put sandtables in wargames rooms to model terrain and used miniatures on them. You need a stout table to carry the weight of the sand and it is rarely used these days as they are not very portable and require dedicated space. I have only seen one such table, long ago, in 40 years gaming. You can use any set of rules and figures you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:

My info is a little dated, but here's what I know . . .

Contemporary wargames in the US armed forces are mostly computer-based. They can be played at the at the strategic, operational, or tactical levels.

Field "wargames" are what might more properly be manuevers, in which commands practice the art of manuevering troops, coordinating logistics, testing communications, etc. Most are heavily scripted to fit within a specific period of time available. They not only require a lot of space, but they consume a lot of resources, and require a lot of data collection -- very manpower intensive.

Computer wargames are much less expensive, and teams can play multiple games simultaneously and remotely.

There are some exceptions, mainly at the tactical level. For example, at the National Training Center (NTC), Ft. Erwin, California, Army combat units are tested and evaluated in their performance against an opposition forced (OPFOR). Outside of NTC, small units may also get some "real" wargame training to maintain readiness.

Air and naval forces do similar training.

Tactical pilots, for example, have had access to computerized "trainers" for over 30 years, where the pilot (or aircrew) sit in cockpit simliar to their aircraft's, and "fly" missions.

Naval personnel have had similar tools since at least the early '90s.
One "game" the US Navy had for years was named NAVTAG -- primitive by today's standards, but functional. It was a computer game available on each ship, with data classified as high as SECRET in it -- sort of like an upscaled Harpoon. Players could play set scenarios, or create their own scenarios. The purpose was to hone the tactical thinking and creativity of both officers and enlisted personnel.

If you consider some of the commerical computer games available today, you can imagine similar and better games available to the US military.

Sand tables may still be used for planning and briefings, but computer simulations are getting so much better that I would expect sand tables to be rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
US Naval War College has a War Gaming Department. Couple of links below if you're interested.

http://www.usnwc.edu/Research---Gaming/War-Gaming.aspx

http://www.usnwc.edu/Research---Gaming/War-Gaming/Documents/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defense Linguistics wrote:
How do they do it in China, Jumbit?

Ha! Like I would know? angry Anything remotely military is a national secret. The headquarters of the East Sea Fleet is outside the city about 20 minutes, located on a popular resort lake. It's not marked on any map, and indeed many people don't even know it's there. I know several foreigners who blundered onto it by accident, and all of them were detained and questioned, and had to send someone home to get their passports before being released. There are no signs, barricades, armed guards, etc. You're just speeding along the road when all the sudden these guys with guns jump out from the trees and stop you. There was a big brouhaha a few years back when they caught a Japanese "spy" red-handed attempting to "infiltrate" the base. His James Bond car? A taxi. His super-secret spy gadgets? A camera and a notepad were found among his possessions. There was an uproar and he was expelled from the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool photos TC, thanks for the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TC is right on.

A sandtable "game" is used to rehearse action and reaction, to synchronize movements across time and space, and to ensure that everyone has an understanding of what is going on where and when across the battlefield.

We use them frequently before missions and operations, and they are used at every level, from Division (and probably Corps, but I've never sat in on a Corps OPORD to know) to platoon.

The enemy's actions are usually "gamed" by the S2 (intelligence officer) or an assistant S3 (operations officer), but stay within a tight set of parameters--usually what has already been evaluated to be what we call the enemy MLCOA or MDCOA (most likely course of action) or (most dangerous course of action).

Overall, these are rehearsals of the plan, not evaluations or course of action development steps.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defense Linguistics wrote:
Military decision-making is less about brilliance than about bringing decisive force at the right moment.

Isn't that what brilliance is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I think there is a lot of confusion of terms here.

A sand table can be any terrain model. They can be used for wargames, rehearsals, briefs, ROC (rehearsal of Concept) drills, etc.

A wargame can mean several things in the military:

As part of the tactical planning process, a wargame is used to test a COA (course of action) to help a commander determine which course he prefers and to refine and improve a COA.

Wargames are also conducted to test new operating concepts against real world problems. Gen Van Riper's famous sinking of the US Navy is a good example.

Wargames are routinely conducted in conjunction with the development of operational plans, similar to tactical wargaming but of much larger scope.

Wargames are used as training tools for young officers and mall unit leaders.

Wargames can involve a few people looking at a map or large formations conducting operations in the field.

Generally a "sand table wargame" is a training tool for young officers conducted around an actual table filled with sand molded to match a specific terrain. Paper cards with unit symbols are usually used to represent units.

The term "sand table wargame" is often extended to mean any wargame conducted with a terrain model. When we used to do CAX's, we would spend a few days conducting a wargame over a huge terrain model with plastic troops arrayed on the board. Calls for fire (including air) were resolved with a laser shot onto the requested grid to determine a hit. We called these "sand tables," but they were officially CAST (Combined Arms Simulation Trainers). I know the Marines have these at Camp Lejeune and Camp Pendleton as well as 29 Palms.

So, to answer the OP in the longest winded way possible, sand table wargames are conducted differently depending on their purpose and scope.

Also they are not as much fun as commercial wargames. They are actually extremely stressful, long, and the outcomes are usually known in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
KrackerJack wrote:
Also they are not as much fun as commercial wargames.

This is an extreme understatement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames Rules 1950-2000 was used by the US and several other armies for training purposes. There may even eventually be a new edition for that purpose as well. For the record it isn't that far off something like TCS, but at squad/fireteam level and with miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.