Hide
9 Posts

Micropul» Forums » Rules

Subject: rule and tileset confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roz .
msg tools
I was a bit confused playing micropul at first, i was using the curved micropul graphics by carthaginian. This set fooled me into thinking all the 'circuits' had to be closed to score points. But while playing a computer version at boardspace.net, i realized that using this tileset, some of the curve micropul could curve off into a blank tile corner adjacent to it, appearing 'open', but still cut off from outside non-tile space and therefore still scoring. Am i correct in this? If this is the case, I shall stick to the black and white standard set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct in your new, updated thinking. It is not the curve of the graphic that matters. What determines if it is closed or open is whether another tile can be laid next to a group to extend it.

From the rules: "No micropul of that group is standing at the edge of the playing area. Thus, it is impossible to add new micropul to that group."

Thus, a closed group is composed of a single color, surrounded at all points such that adding another tile cannot connect directly to that group.

This is a great game, even if my wife consistently beats me at it.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If I may toot my own horn here, my Micropul tile set addresses this issue by adding border lines that will clearly indicate whether a group is open or closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I should start a new post or attach this rules question here, so I'll just go ahead and see what happens.

My understanding of the tile placement rules is that a new tile must attach a micropul on the new tile to micropul of the same species already in play. My opponent wanted to link two separate sections of micropul by attachment only through a catalyst, where the actual micropul on the tile didn't link up to any micropul already present. Am I correct, that this is not allowed? Also, therefore, if tiles are properly placed, where their micropul is linked to micropul already in play, and also separate areas are linked only by catalyst, that the separate regions are now considered one region, and score as one region (or not if more than one stone is now attached or if one of the previously unlinked areas can still grow at game end)? I really love this game, but there are some complexities that aren't well documented in the rules (unless my understanding is correct, in which case the rules are complete enough, I guess.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden,

You are correct, at least one micropul (not just a catalyst) must connect to at least one micropul already in play.

Quoting from rule #1: "To lay your tile, one of its micropul must be adjacent to another micorpul of a tile already in play."

Micropuls are different from catalysts in part because only micropuls can link a new tile to the existing ones played already.

That said, there is a variant the allows either a micropul or catalyst to link the new tile. This is how my wife and I played it before we realized our mistake and it was fun that way. However, we now play by the official rules as it forces tougher decisions and thereby improves the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Yes, I just mathtraded for someone's Micropul set at a convention in Massachusetts in January (Unity Games XVII). It was the very basic set with black and white circles, dots and crosses. I've since made my own much nicer set, and I'm having a blast with it. And, you're right! The games I've played incorrectly (one player insisted that connecting up via catalysts is allowed ("that's how we've always done it") are not as interesting as the games played correctly.

The mathtrade set came with 4 sets of colored stones (cubes, actually). Is it strictly a 2-player game? It could work multi-player, but perhaps needs 2 sets of tiles for a 4 player game. I have a hard enough time closing off my areas with a basic set, not to mention 4 players with 3 stones each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On second thought, it looks like I'm still confused, or maybe not now. I was under the misunderstanding that catalysts linked micropul together in any way. They really don't, do they? So, if a closed off region still has access by only one catalyst, it doesn't matter, that region is already closed off, and connecting another region to that open catalyst doesn't connect the two regions as one big region, they're still two separate regions even if they're attached to the same catalyst? Only direct linkage via micropul count. That's how the rules read, and the only example in the rules looks like that, though that's not how we've been playing. And, only catalysts directly adjacent to micropul cause their effect, not catalysts indirectly linked via other catalysts to micropul already in play? Catalysts adjacent to other catalysts have no effect except to close off regions of micropul? Okay, enough questions already.

I'll be playing a lot of games this weekend on Saturday, and will play much Micropul. I've already started designing my own set! I'm hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiles can only be added to existing tiles if a micropul touches a micropul of the same color/type.

Catalysts only have effects if they directly touch a micropul.

There is no chaining of connections.

Some of the newer tiles make all of this much clearer than the black & white dots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
On second thought, it looks like I'm still confused, or maybe not now. I was under the misunderstanding that catalysts linked micropul together in any way. They really don't, do they?

Another very legitimate question answered by Karl's tiles:
karlvonl wrote:
If I may toot my own horn here, my Micropul tile set addresses this issue by adding border lines that will clearly indicate whether a group is open or closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.