Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

One of my player played a 'wizard' hero and could spend 2 fatigue after a magic attack to do another magic attack. (I don't remember the name of the skill right now)

He had a guard order, and after hurting one of my monster with his attack he wanted to spend fatigue to kill the monster.

Can he spend fatique and use this skill after doing an attack with a guard order ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hankroyd wrote:

One of my player played a 'wizard' hero and could spend 2 fatigue after a magic attack to do another magic attack. (I don't remember the name of the skill right now)

He had a guard order, and after hurting one of my monster with his attack he wanted to spend fatigue to kill the monster.

Can he spend fatique and use this skill after doing an attack with a guard order ?

A very similar question was recently discussed over on the FFG forums, concerning the skill that lets you do the same thing for Ranged attacks. I'm pretty sure the answer that shook out at the end was "yes, he can do that" but it was a long and involved debate so I might have missed something.

I'm going to say tentatively that yes, the mage can do that, but let's see what some of the real heavyweights in rule analysis have to say about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
mbmbmbmbmb
The card in question is Quick Casting:

Quote:
After making a Magic attack, you may spend 2 fatigue and exhaust this card to make 1 additional attack with the same weapon this turn.

Here's what the rulebook says about Guard Orders:

Quote:
Guard
A hero that has placed a guard order may make an interrupt attack. At any point during the overlord player’s turn (not during a hero’s turn), a hero may use his guard order to immediately “interrupt” the overlord player’s turn and make one attack (following all the normal rules for line of sight and attacking).

Since the attack he gets to make follows all of the normal rules and since the Quick Casting skill makes no mention of it's use being limited to his own turn, he can use the Quick Casting ability. (Provided offcourse that he has not used it during his own turn, as a player's exhausted cards only refresh at the start of his turn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
A very similar question was recently discussed over on the FFG forums, concerning the skill that lets you do the same thing for Ranged attacks. I'm pretty sure the answer that shook out at the end was "yes, he can do that" but it was a long and involved debate so I might have missed something.

You're thinking of something else; maybe the Rapid Fire-after-Dark Charm question.

Quick Casting after Guard has been in the official FAQ for years:
FAQ, p.8 wrote:
Q: When making an attack with the Guard order, can a hero use abilities such as Cleave that grant extra attacks? What about other special abilities?
A: When making a Guard attack, a hero retains access to all appropriate special abilities unless otherwise indicated. This includes abilities such as Cleave, Quick Casting, and Rapid Fire that may grant an extra attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricijs Zaleskis
Germany
Lauter-Bernsbach
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but renember 1 very important fact, that you have to EXHAUST IT, so, basicly, if you spend the skill in your turn, then, when is the overlord players turn, you have a guard order, you attack a figure, you will not be able to use your skill, because it is exhausted, other than that, it says after a magic attack, which it is, you are able to spend 2 fatigue to get the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T V
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with the posters here. The card says when "a magic attack" is used - this would be what is used when activating the Guard order. It's not something like a shield, which says you have to exhaust it after being used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mandirigma wrote:
I agree with the posters here. The card says when "a magic attack" is used - this would be what is used when activating the Guard order. It's not something like a shield, which says you have to exhaust it after being used.

I'm having difficulty making sense of this post?

Quick Casting
After making a Magic attack, you may immediately spend 2 fatigue and exhaust this card to make 1 additional attack with the same weapon this turn.

The 'trigger' is having made a magic attack (already). After you make a magic attack, you make pay the fatigue and exhaust the skill card, to make another attack with the same weapon.
There is nothing saying the skill has to be used during your turn, or any other restriction. As long as you just made a magic attack (could be your turnm could be a guard, could be through Alertness, it could be any reason) if you have 2 fatigue and your card is not already exhausted, you can pay the cost (both fatigue and exhausting) and make the additional attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T V
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just looked at it again - I missed the part where it says "exhaust".

So, if the card was used (thereby exhausting it) during the hero's turn, the card ca't be activated again until the start of the hero's next turn.

Likewise, if the card was not used during the hero's turn, then the hero should be able to use it while having the Guard order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.