Subject: Another Settlers article in the mainstream media rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Today in the Washington Post, more praise for Settlers (and dissing of Monopoly).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...once someone has Broadway and Park Place, it's hard to beat them

Anyone who can buy property that's not even on the board has got to be hard to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting. This is one game that I have not yet played because 1) There are so many games available and 2) many of my group have played it many times when it first came out. So it is considered an "old" game. I recently have been trying to fiure out what game to tell people to get instead of buying Monopoly for there kid, now I know what to recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(Settlers) serves as a model for solving contemporary problems such as trade imbalances, nuclear proliferation, and climate change.

Really???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Choubi wrote:
Quote:
(Settlers) serves as a model for solving contemporary problems such as trade imbalances, nuclear proliferation, and climate change.

Really???

Yeah I would've liked to see them expand on that a little more too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Choubi wrote:
Quote:

Really???

I loved that part too. I think I must be missing one or two expansions....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Today in the Washington Post, more praise for Settlers (and dissing of Monopoly).
Beyond the games alone, it suggests a relevance for contemporary society.

A Settlers win doubles as a lesson in a world where resources are finite and unevenly distributed. It's a game for a moment when no one - even Americans, happily playing board games - should expect a perpetual monopoly on power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
Very interesting. This is one game that I have not yet played because 1) There are so many games available and 2) many of my group have played it many times when it first came out. So it is considered an "old" game. I recently have been trying to fiure out what game to tell people to get instead of buying Monopoly for there kid, now I know what to recommend.

I'd say Ticket to Ride over Settlers, just because of the player counts required, (TTR 2 and up, SoC needs more IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Choubi wrote:
Quote:

Really???

Ehh...the journalist is just unconsciously showing what he thinks about constantly. He probably didn't even realize he's putting his own political biases on display...didn't even occur to him that others might think differently.

Look how many other blatant mistakes this amateur makes:

"once someone has Broadway and Park Place, it's hard to beat them" Total BS, those are not the best properties, not by a long shot, and they certainly don't guarantee victory.

"Settlers of Catan is the pinnacle of the German style." BAHAHAHAHA! Oh I wish this was a joke. A pinnacle! How parochial and ignorant. I feel embarrassed for him.

"there are multiple ways to win" No, there is exactly one way to win: 10 VP. He even contradicts himself later in the article.

"a gift of Redskins Monopoly or "Simpsons" Monopoly is likely to get a better initial reaction from children than an unfamiliar game of German origin." Seriously, where does he get this stuff? He just pulled this one out of his ass. Note the unsaid implication that games are only for children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's nice to see a newspaper article on something you have personal domain knowledge about every so often.

That way, when you read a newspaper article about something you don't have personal domain knowledge on, you can remember the experience and realize just how many mistakes must be in this other article, and you don't even know it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Ehh...the journalist is just ... for children.
Let's not overlook the reason for this post.....its a good news one of Settlers being recorded in mainstream media.

Not sure it calls for us announcing how superior we are when compared to the journalist....do you not recall when you first marvelled at modern games?

Of course if you want to turn people off board games by pointing out what a mob of arrogant nit picking arses we are, then I hope Blake finds this post - it will fit the bill perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallboy wrote:
Not sure it calls for us announcing how superior we are when compared to the journalist....do you not recall when you first marvelled at modern games?

He's a journalist. His entire profession...no, not profession, job...is getting facts right and being objective. He not only made several factual errors, but injected his opinions and viewpoints into the piece. The article should have been fact-checked before publication, and obviously it was not. Even worse, the man is an editor of the New Yorker, an opinion leader for elites. Let me share a viewpoint from another popular website for writers that accurately describes the situation here.

Quote:
"Now let me correct you on a couple of things, OK? Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not 'Every man for himself.' And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto! I looked them up!"
— Wanda, A Fish Called Wanda

Writers in film, television and other media can sometimes be lazy people who cannot be bothered to do proper research on subjects relevant to the plot of their work of fiction. At other times (especially in TV), they just cannot squeeze research into the 10 days or so they get to write a script. In other cases, putting in too much detail would be distracting and annoying. In any case, the research did not get done.

The result is that depictions of events and concepts taken from history, foreign cultures, or the sciences will often be heavily distorted, caricatured or inaccurately depicted as being analogous to something more familiar to the audience.

Often these mistakes will be so glaringly obvious to anyone with any sort of basic knowledge of the subject that it will make the entire work seem completely ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
yep! Just another blatant outcry of them "Settlers of Derision" as it were depicted by these "Johnnys-are-latelys" Eurosnobs! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
[q="tallboy"] He not only made several factual errors, but injected his opinions and viewpoints into the piece.
It may not be apparent to those who simply follow the link but this item was printed in a separate section of the paper that is titled "Outlook", and is specifically filled with opinions and editorials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leech
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
yep! Just another blatant outcry of them "Settlers of Derision" as it were depicted by these "Johnnys-are-latelys" Eurosnobs! whistle

"Johnnys-are-latelys"? What? Your posts are a constant mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
jonnyalpha wrote:
"Johnnys-are-latelys"? What? Your posts are a constant mystery.
YOU are so-o-o-o-o-o "the Johnny!" laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I wonder if the average gamer really wants their hobby to become mainstream.

Is Settler’s the best game out there? No. Do we all play it exclusively? No. Is it the game many of us would offer up as the preferred gateway game for other who are still stuck on Monopoly and Parcheesi? No.

However, for what ever reason, Settlers has been nominated by the masses as that game. If a newbie comes up to you, knowing you play games and asks if you’ve played Settlers and could they try it some time, are you going to go off on them and tell them how Puerto Rico or Agricola or Power Grid is such a better game. Or even if you do stay with a gateway game, are going to tell them about TTR or Pandemic or Stone Age? They haven’t heard of those games before. They heard about Settlers. They want to try Settlers.

So we need to embrace that concept. Our list of the perfect gateway games doesn’t matter if no one has ever heard of them. Finally, a legitimate strategy game (Settlers) is getting attention, but because it is not the game we want (the pinnacle of the German style – as the article puts it), do we shun it or celebrate it?

Have you ever seen a child eat his first Happy Meal? Kids love those things. Have you ever tried to give a small child steak? Not quite the same reaction. But we as mature adults know that steak is way better than fast food hamburgers. So do we force the steak down their throat? Let’s let them enjoy the hamburger a bit more. If we are confident in our product, they will come back for more eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if the average gamer really wants their hobby to become mainstream.

Mainstream, no. More popular (hence easier to find gamers)? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.