Subject: Hobbit book - which edition best for kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
My 9yo daughter wants to read The Hobbit.

Which edition is best for kids? Any editions out there with lots of nice illustrations?

Please give ISBN or Amazon link to particular editions.

Much thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one I read when I was 10, with a lot of illustrations from the Rankin & Bass movie (and some that weren't in the movie). The text is the original, just with a LOT more pictures.

An entry with a picture of the cover:
http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Illustrated-J-R-Tolkien/dp/B000...

And here's a link that I'm pretty sure is the same thing:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=2832031263&...

As a 10-year-old, having those extra pictures really helped. I didn't realize that it was technically above a normal 5th grade reading level (and I'm grateful that my teacher at the time decided not to tell me, as I may have decided to try another book instead).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was 9 I read the Hobbit, then the LotR Trilogy. Neither had any pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a graphic novel version. It's faithful and all the text is straight out of the book.

My nine year old is plowing through the Harry Potter books, so maybe just the original (with Tolkien's illustrations) would be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
My nine year old is plowing through the Harry Potter books, so maybe just the original (with Tolkien's illustrations) would be good.

Yes, that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
There is a graphic novel version. It's faithful and all the text is straight out of the book.

We got the graphic novel in an attempt to interest my step-son in reading - it didn't work, but the book did seem to be very well put together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No or few pictures are best. Fuel that imagination. This is also best read aloud anyway. I well remember having the Hobbit and the whole LotR trilogy read aloud to me at about that age. It's one of the great memories of my childhood. You and your child are never too old for evening story time.

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Here's one I read when I was 10, with a lot of illustrations from the Rankin & Bass movie (and some that weren't in the movie). The text is the original, just with a LOT more pictures.

An entry with a picture of the cover:
http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Illustrated-J-R-Tolkien/dp/B000...

And here's a link that I'm pretty sure is the same thing:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=2832031263&...

As a 10-year-old, having those extra pictures really helped. I didn't realize that it was technically above a normal 5th grade reading level (and I'm grateful that my teacher at the time decided not to tell me, as I may have decided to try another book instead).

That's the version I had growing up. Haven't thought about it in years. Thanks for the memory, sigmazero13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
A completely unasked for request, but it's the right season for this book. Get J.R.R. Tolkien's Letters From Father Christmas. Wonderful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
My 8yo son read this edition last summer and enjoyed it, also it's really durable for kids who sometimes put some wear on a book.

http://www.amazon.com/HOBBIT-J-TOLKIEN-1966-ILLUSTRATED/dp/B...

This is listed as a 1966 edition but I'm 99% sure my copy is a reprint that looks just like it.

I only bought it with in the last 7 or 8 years for under $30.00, if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.