Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to be sure about something. The little +1 symbol on techs such as pottery and fundamentalism means that your culture card hand is increased by one. Correct? I ust finished playing with myself and it seams that a)war is the easiest way, b)don't bother with coins except to hold on to trade after research, an c)the technology race seams to be the other easy way to win. I say easy in that it is easier to upgrade techs but it is certainly a race. Maybe once I stop playing with myself and start getting others (hopefully my wife) to join in, different philosophies will prove me wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hill
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You're correct about the +1.

I've only played three games but military doesn't seem like the easiest way to win to me.

I think it depends entirely on the power you have been dealt. For instance, it's very easy for the Chinese to win on the culture track if played to their strengths. It's also very easy to win on the Tech Pyramid with the Russians if you steal a tech every turn.

Bottom line, some paths to victory are going to be easier with different powers. Nothing is as cut and dry as "Military victory is the easiest path to victory."

P.S. By "Very Easy" I mean the easiest path to victory for that power, not that victory is easy in this game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hill
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Joseph Hill wrote:
It's also very easy to win on the Tech Pyramid with the Russians if you steal a tech every turn.

Steal AND Build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the victory paths are pretty viable.
A conquest victory requires a lot of dedication. You pretty much need a few academies to counter the capital's defensive bonus, and you probably want a level 4 military tech. Even then, an opponent who is prepared to defend will be tough to take down.

Tech victory is easy enough if you get a lot of trade symbols. The nice thing is that you can keep building in your buildings while you are still earning trade, so you can keep up a very fast tech pace.

Culture victory seems daunting at first, but it really isn't so bad. The key is either to build a lot of wonders (Egypt is good at this with their construction tech) but this could leave you low on trade.

The other option is build a lot of libraries and upgrade them to universities (China is good at this if they can find a spot with plenty of grassland). Once the upgrade is finished, you can crank out a lot of culture. Metal Casting helps too.

I would save all of your incense for once this is researched. Culture starts out slow because you don't want to spend actions getting culture until it's really efficient.

Economic victories are kind of interesting, and basically require you to do a little of everything. You just get specific techs with coin opportunities, and then you do it. Code of Laws has you win battles, Printing Press has you spend culture, Democracy has you spend trade. So you do a little of everything and suddenly you have a lot of coins.

You are right that coins are of little use to players who aren't going for economic victory. The research rebate is kind of underwhelming considering it's no better than just having an extra trade symbol which you don't earn if you skip a turn of tech buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:
I ust finished playing with myself and

TMI! wow

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siobhan Beeman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another point to consider is when victories can happen:
A coin victory can take place as early as the Start of Turn phase.
graytaj: A culture victory happens during the City Management phase. (Technically, Rome could win a culture victory in Start of Turn, but that seems really unlikely.)
arrrh A military victory happens during Movement.
nuclear A tech victory has to wait until the very end of the turn.

Almost every Civ game I've played or read about has gone down to the wire, in multiple cases being won by turn order, so being able to win sooner in the turn matters.

The coin victory in particular has interesting potential for a very fast win--I need to game it out, but a turn 12ish win seems possible, which is sooner than the other victories really get their engines going. Obviously it's possible for a military victory to happen even faster against an inattentive opponent, but a coin victory is much harder to derail than a military one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico W.
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabozz wrote:
Another point to consider is when victories can happen:
A coin victory can take place as early as the Start of Turn phase.
graytaj: A culture victory happens during the City Management phase. (Technically, Rome could win a culture victory in Start of Turn, but that seems really unlikely.)

Don't forget about the modern wonders! The Sydney Opera House (culture) and the Panama Canal (coin) can also result into a win during the start of turn phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:
b)don't bother with coins except to hold on to trade after research

I disagree with this. I picked up Republic fairly early and Pottery shortly there after. I attacked to win battles to get my 4 coins and used resources to fuel Pottery. With a great person I had 9 coins. Not only did this get me more than half way to a coin victory it also gave me 9 extra trade per turn to spend on production/tech/culture track/democracy for more coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siobhan Beeman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N2xU wrote:
The Sydney Opera House (culture) and the Panama Canal (coin) can also result into a win during the start of turn phase.

You're absolutely right. I remembered the Canal but I forgot that the Opera House moves you up the track rather than just giving culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game seems well balanced given that I've seen military, tech and coins all be said to be the easiest victory condition by different people (culture I've never seen, yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For all those that say economic culture wins are possible. Which I believe I have only played a couple of games. What do you do with military? You need to spend turns upgrading it to defend cities. How do you balance between the demands of say collecting gold and not going overboard on military? Yesterday I tried to go with a cultural victory. My wife went military/technology. I felt the need to keep in the arms race with her so for the first few rounds I almost ignored collecting culture. That was my down fall I think. I only got a few spaces into the second section when she built space flight. (Yes my wife beat me so what)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to post my session report in a bit. My only game I had a coin victory. Going for coins does not really detract from any other strategy. You need military to win victories for Code of Laws. You can turn in resources 2 for a coin with Pottery. Have six trade you won't need for the tech you are about to buy, put a coin on Democracy. Falling behind in the race for culture? 5 culture buys you a coin with Printing Press. As you move up the culture chart you get great people... more coins. Computers give you a coin and increase your culture hand (probably by 2 by the time you get it) and your battle hand (helps for military conquest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
I am going to post my session report in a bit. My only game I had a coin victory. Going for coins does not really detract from any other strategy. You need military to win victories for Code of Laws. You can turn in resources 2 for a coin with Pottery. Have six trade you won't need for the tech you are about to buy, put a coin on Democracy. Falling behind in the race for culture? 5 culture buys you a coin with Printing Press. As you move up the culture chart you get great people... more coins. Computers give you a coin and increase your culture hand (probably by 2 by the time you get it) and your battle hand (helps for military conquest).

This worked well for me with the Germans yesterday.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
a)war is the easiest way

I do not agree. You can usually see agression coming from a mile away and prepare.

Quote:
b)don't bother with coins except to hold on to trade after research
c)the technology race seams to be the other easy way to win

It may seem so, but it is quite possible to gain for instance an economic victory over a technological or cultural one (as happened to me in my last game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.