Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Saldana
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi--

My girlfriend and I have quickly become big fans of eurogames. Our current favorites are Citadels, Pandemic, and Carson City.

My girlfriend is looking for a dark/thematic game that works well with two. Her favorite game by far is Citadels. She loves the artwork, the mechanics, and the fact that it can be played quickly. She's less enthusiastic about trying out new games, though we have a bunch waiting to be played (Agricola, Caylus, etc.)

She wants a scary game with a heavy theme that she can really get into.

The games that seem to fit the bill, to me, are:

Last Night on Earth
Arkham Horror
Dracula

Each of these has pros and cons:

LNOE:

Cons: Sorry to the fans out there, but I really don't like the artwork. I have a feeling my GF won't either, though this won't be a deal breaker for her as much as it would be for me. We've also never played with miniatures, but that's not to say she won't be into it. And, like I said, we're exclusively eurogamers, so I'm not sure we would like this.

Pros: Comments suggest this has a strong narrative, and players feel like they are really "in" the game.

AH:

Cons: Same above with LNOE. Maybe too long to get off the shelf? Cost.

Pros: Strong narrative, etc.

Dracula:

Pros: Rated highly by Bruno Faidutti for two (We've gone by his 2-P ratings thus far and have been pleased.) Quick, with the same set-up, table space as a game of Citadels. Also, cost.

Cons: Theme may not be engaging enough?

Please let me know if there are any other games you'd suggest. Anything close to Citadels with a dark theme would be great. Check out my game library, and remember that game complexity is not a problem, as she's already played and enjoyed Carson City. Also any game MUST be good for 2. (Being able to play with more, of course, is an additional bonus.)

Oh, almost forgot-- We played, and she did NOT like, Mr. Jack. She felt it was too simple.

(I feel like Letters from Whitechapel would be the perfect fit, though obviously it's not yet available.)

Thanks,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Saldana
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other possibilities, stretching the meaning of "horror":

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Ghost Stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game is Arkham Horror light, but has the same art style as Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game. Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game is another fantasy themed co-op with lots of miniatures, but it is relatively simple so you may wish to try before you buy.

If you can deal with the complexities of deck customisation and card combos, the LCGs Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game or Warhammer: Invasion have dark fantasy themes.

2-players is right on the edge of the player number range but the upcoming Mansions of Madness looks intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula (second edition) might be a good choice as well - it can take more than 2, but one player controlling all the hunters works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have not played it, the impression I get from reading about and hearing about Gloom makes me think this might work.

There are expansions out as well, which may be a factor in considering what you want to get.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is a great 2 player game about humans fighting demons (Human P vs Demon P).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnis Skuskovniks
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would still recomend Last Night on Earth.
As for miniatures - you can always repace them with wooden blocks
Trust me - if you wish to get into theme then you must step away from "exclusivly eurogamer" thing.

Acctually - I red your question, and first thing that came to my head was - deffinetly LNOE - it would work for every isue you are interested in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Birnbaum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark? Thematic? For 2?

That's like the definition of Claustrophobia, there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
mstachiw wrote:
Claustrophobia is a great 2 player game about humans fighting demons (Human P vs Demon P).

I'll give this reccomendation a strong second. It can be obtained relatively inexpensively, looks beautiful, and is quick to learn with great depth of play. The modular board and a few random elements ensure a lot of replayability, especially with strong support from both the Author and the player community with additional scenarios.

Humans trying to invade Hell to access a new energy source? It doesn't get much darker..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ring Them Citadels wrote:
Oh, almost forgot-- We played, and she did NOT like, Mr. Jack. She felt it was too simple.

surprise

I mean....surprise?

Ghost Stories or Witch of Salem might fit in between Pandemic and Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Saldana
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I know this is a bit off from the OP, but given suggestions for fantasy-based games like Castle Ravenloft, WarHammer, Claustrophobia, etc. (as opposed to strictly "horror," which is by no means a requirement), what do folks think of Summoner Wars?

Having just cards would make it more accessible, although I'm not sure if we would enjoy a straight-up battle as much. (Although, she is quite competitive.) Is there as strong of a narrative pull?

I'm also considering Doomtown: Deadlands, which looks incredible (though hard to find).

Thanks, again, for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Harder to find, but sounds like she would really go for City of Chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
... what do folks think of Summoner Wars?

Having just cards would make it more accessible, although I'm not sure if we would enjoy a straight-up battle as much. (Although, she is quite competitive.) Is there as strong of a narrative pull?

My wife and I enjoy Summoner Wars. She likes that there are tactical and strategic decisions to be made and that there is some randomness as well with the dice combat and the card draws.

There may be some narrative (the rulebook does have a little prelude about the Summoners) but I haven't found any. I'm quite happy to play the game and crush my wife's Vanguards with my Fallen Kingdom. And then get crushed by her Phoenix Elves. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Saldana
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to thank everyone again for these suggestions--these were great, and I'll keep them all in mind.

I went ahead and bought Summoner Wars, and then took an unexpected turn and bought:

Small World
Cold War: CIA v. KGB

As our first foray into fantasy gaming (the former), and a continuation of my gf's love of Citadels' mechanics (bluffing/variable player powers) and a proxy for Dracula (the latter).

I realized it was less about something dark and more about theme and characters that she was looking for. These games seemed to fit the bill the best, for now, though I'll have plenty of games to consider once we decide to get our first horror game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on my wishlist, but perhaps Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, as it's a cooperative survival game. Certainly has a pretty heavy theme and from what I've read it's a pretty fast paced intense game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sicaria wrote:

Not for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to thank everyone again for these suggestions--these were great, and I'll keep them all in mind.

I went ahead and bought Summoner Wars, and then took an unexpected turn and bought:

Small World
Cold War: CIA v. KGB

As our first foray into fantasy gaming (the former), and a continuation of my gf's love of Citadels' mechanics (bluffing/variable player powers) and a proxy for Dracula (the latter).

I realized it was less about something dark and more about theme and characters that she was looking for. These games seemed to fit the bill the best, for now, though I'll have plenty of games to consider once we decide to get our first horror game.

Thanks!

Owh hey,glad that you've found the right game for you.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools

I realized it was less about something dark and more about theme and characters that she was looking for.
Thanks!

Why is it that we men always think we know what our GF/wife wants, and when we buy games etc. we totally misunderstood what they really wanted.
Is it because we WHAT them to like dark etc. games.?

I really wanna to play with my gf.
She reads ALOT of books, dark, mystery, crime, murder etc.
So i assume that she wantet to play dark, mystery games.
So i bought ATOE, a totally no-go.

It turned out that she really don't want to play at all.cry

How could i miss read her that much.?

Maybe i should post this in a women forum instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.