GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,459 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Help please with text formatting question (Word / InDesign) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiel 234
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all - I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out how to format header text in a document I'm working on. I'm currently using Word 2007 but can switch to InDesign CS3. I'd like to have horizontal lines(effectively a "strikethrough") surround the header text, but have little tics at the ends of the lines right around the text. I have a lot of headers to type so need the lines to autofill and lengthen/shorten around the text automatically when I edit the text.

Any ideas? I'm asking here so someone can point me in the right direction..I tried searching for a tutorial online but couldn't get the keywords right to get anything remotely close. Is there a name for this?

See example I made in paint..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need some more information:

Do you want the line to stretch across the page, or only be a certain length on each side of the text? If the later, will these lengths always be the same for each header.

Is the header going to be centered on the page, or left justified on the page (like in your example).

How is the document going to be used. Referenced only on your computer, or sent out via PDF, some other format, or printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiel 234
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Jeff!

Do you want the line to stretch across the page, or only be a certain length on each side of the text? If the later, will these lengths always be the same for each header.

- I need the line to stretch across the page.

Is the header going to be centered on the page, or left justified on the page (like in your example).

- Left justified.

How is the document going to be used. Referenced only on your computer, or sent out via PDF, some other format, or printed?

- Exported to PDF, possibly printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
There's a character called an em-dash which will not show spaces between them. You can enter it in Word with Alt+0151.

As for formatting it to fill, there's probably a formatting function for that. I don't have Word installed at home to give it a test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Em_dash#Em_dash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the tips of the lines but if you're working in either Word of InDesign, you *should* be able to do this with minimal difficulty by using tab stops and leaders for those tabs. In Word, just hit Format / Tabs. I don't know where it is in InDesign off the top of my head, but it can't be too tough (probably under the defined style.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible to do this with the customization you're looking for, in InDesign but I've never needed to do such a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
There are undoubtedly other ways to do this, but you could try this method.

Firstly, set the header line to left justified (you probably have it centred at the moment).
Turn on Ruler (View - Ruler).
With the cursor in the header area (on the row that you want the lines to be on), double-click on the ruler in the centre (ie if the page is 16cm wide, double-click the ruler at 8cm). This will bring up the Tabs dialogue box.
Set the alignment to centre, and change the position if you wish to get it exactly centred.
Also add a right justified tab at the right hand margin position (eg 16cm).

In the ruler now you should see a little upside-down T in the middle and a backward L on the very right, indicating the tab positions.

In your title text, add a tab before it (so that it is centred) and after it. Note you might have trouble adding one before the text, because in it's highly annoying attempts to be helpful it might change the format to indented instead of adding a leading tab. If it does that, undo the tab, then type any character followed by tab, then delete the unwanted character.
It will help here if you turn on the display of paragraph marks (the funny backwards P symbol in the Home bar), so that you can actually see the tab symbols (arrows).
Select each of the tab marks (one at a time) and change the font to add strikethrough formatting.

You should now have the text centred, with lines either side to the edge of the margin.

Edit: David is right about the tab leaders, except that (in Word 2010 at least) none of the leaders are the style that you want. One is an underline, and one is a series of dashes (with spaces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, in InDesign, here's a quick way to do that but you won't have the little caps on the end.

Put down a line object. On top of the line, create a text box (with a sample word for filler) with the left side of the box where you want the text to mostly start, and the right side of the box ending where the right side of the line object ends.

Right click on the text box (while it is highlighted) and choose Text Frame Options and set the inset for the left and right to whatever you want (although I usually like to use .15"). Make sure the top and bottom aren't changed by making sure the chain-link icon is 'broken' so all items aren't bound to the same setting.

Now position your text box up or down so the line goes through your text where you want it to. Now select the text box and do a fill of White/Paper (keeping borders turned off). You should now see the left part of your line, your text with some padding at the start, and nothing else to the right.

Select both items and group them together. You have now created your header template. Drag this off to the side and when you want a header, copy and paste it where you want it. Then change the text to what you want it to read. Then using your Direct Select Tool (the white arrow, not the normal black one) tselect just the text box from the group and right click and choose Fitting -> Fit Frame to Content and you should suddenly see your text with a line going up to and past it with a nice amount of padding on either side.

On the side, I'm on ID 4 on a Mac so some of the menu options might be slightly different.

Getting the caps on the ends would require a bit more creativity so hopefully this will let you get what you need done. Plus don't forget you can play with the padding space and symbolic typefaces to come up with variations on the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiel 234
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THANK YOU! So I am now 90% there, set up the tabs and filled with strikethrough, which is awesome because it moves with the text. Plus tried putting in a pipe as the last character.. doesn't look too bad, but I'll have to look into using a making a special character.

blush So..this is embarrasing - I've never had any geek gold..making it difficult to thank you guys for the help. And I *just* read the "how to get geek gold" thread like, 2 minutes ago. But when I do get some, I will come back to this thread! I sincerely appreciate your time to type up all this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a screen shot of what it looks like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiel234 wrote:
]I sincerely appreciate your time to type up all this!

This is better than any geek gold. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiel 234
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tech advice and the kind gesture with the gold! I am super motivated to earn some more through contributions now.

Now that I'm done with workstuff...more chit chat! haha
(ID4 is really awesome, I downloaded the trial earlier this year and loved the UI. Still need to try all the CS5 apps..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.