Subject: Question: Artefacts, artists and glory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N Petersen
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Harry,

An artist provides 1 glory "every time an artefact is played within range of any of your artists".

Does artefacts played on the empire card rather than in an area on the map (religion, government, etc.) count as being "within range" of the artist, or does the artefact has to be placed on the map in order to be able to count range?

Also, in the errata it says that "Multiple leaders of the same type have a cumulative effect (e.g. an empire with 2 philosophers wins ties against all empires that only have 1 or less)."
But since the wording of extra glory for an artist is "within range of any of your artists" [my italic] it suggests that each artefact can only provide a total of 2 glory, even if within range of multiple artists.

(In a current game a player just gained 8 glory for playing/adopting 3 artefacts in a single turn, so it can all sum up )

Thanks,
Nikolaj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
Re:Question: Artefacts, artists and glory
npilgaard wrote:
Harry,

An artist provides 1 glory "every time an artefact is played within range of any of your artists".

Does artefacts played on the empire card rather than in an area on the map (religion, government, etc.) count as being "within range" of the artist,

HR> No.

or does the artefact has to be placed on the map in order to be able to count range?

HR> Yes.

Also, in the errata it says that "Multiple leaders of the same type have a cumulative effect (e.g. an empire with 2 philosophers wins ties against all empires that only have 1 or less)."

But since the wording of extra glory for an artist is "within range of any of your artists" [my italic] it suggests that each artefact can only provide a total of 2 glory, even if within range of multiple artists.

HR> No you get 1 per glory within range.

(In a current game a player just gained 8 glory for playing/adopting 3 artefacts in a single turn, so it can all sum up )

HR> It certainly can.

Regards
Harry

Thanks,
Nikolaj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Petersen
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Harry Rowland (#457949),

Thanks for clarifying, Harry.

Regards,
Nikolaj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Ryu
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
Harry,

As you know from previous posts, I am a huge fan of your game. I've been playing it a ton recently. But, that said, your ruling here doesn't make sense for several reasons:

(1) It's counter-thematic: if the idea of artists giving glory for artifacts is that they are inspired to create works of art, why not religion and government? Christianity and Hinduism inspired a lot more art than the Pyramids or the Pharos Lighthouse!

(2) It's confusing: in every other respect except getting placed on the board, governments and religions are treated as green artifacts: for getting the bonus Glory and for counting artifacts for harvesting glory. Indeed, I presume that's why they're the same color.

(3) Other artifacts are already "non-local": Just Rule, Peace Treaty, all of the blue-bordered artifacts, etc. Why do governments and religions get such a different treatment? Why can't you "count range" to any territory in the empire getting a new religion/government to get artist glory? After all, there are other places in the rules where you "count range" to any territory in an empire: for T&P and to use the "Take That" optional rule, e.g.

Can you clarify?

Thanks,
M.R.

M.R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry,
While we are on the subject, can "Exotic Artefact" be used to adopt a Religion or Govt an Age early?...
And, if yes, can other empires also adopt the Religion or Govt early?
or would they need their own "Exotic Artefact" to do so?
Thanks
Bruce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
smauggy (#458023),

Well we didn't consider the empire card to be within range of anything on the board. As for just rule and peace treaty they are actually placed on the board. `But you rdefinition sounds reasonable and if you prefer to play that way thats fine.

Regards
Harry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
ermd (#458112),

Yes and yes. Note there is no age restriction on adopting a religion or government (only in starting one in the first place).

Regards
Harry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Petersen
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Harry Rowland (#458168),

And one more... (you should probably start taking money for all these answers, Harry ):

Are blue artefacts placed on the empire card or in an area on the map?
There is of course a marker to be placed on the progress track, "as well as the aretfact placed in the empire" (my italics). Also, nothing is mentioned in the individual artefact descriptions about placing on the card.
Both of those could be interpreted as the artefacts are played in an area.

Otoh all blue artefacts are not local stuff, but can spread even world wide to other empires, thus it seems a little strange if they are tied to a single area.
(Not trying to justify any rule-change or anything, but I am simply unsure of how to play these artefacts )

The rules are clear that placing blue artefacts doesn't provide the +1 glory, but in case they are placed in an area, I assume that Ar leaders still provide the +1 glory per leader bonus (?)

(Also, if the blue artefacts are placed on card, then all the Ar leaders fo the later Ages are significantly reduced in value.)

Thanks,
Nikolaj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Petersen
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
npilgaard (#458328),

Please ignore the above post. Just discovered that the blue artefacts have both a green marker (to be placed on map) and a blue marker (on progress track).

This explains everything. blush

Lol - well, I have played numerous games, but since we have (almost) always started in age 1, I only first encountered the blue artefacts now. Still new things to learn about this - wonderful - game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.