Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Once the Solomons Campaign is concluded, what are the merits of deploying the Island Fortification unit to either the MacArthur or Nimitz front? Of course, it depends. The Nimitz front has many more opportunities with five islands. But, Luzon is also appealing to me because it is an Allied fortified space. It is tough to contest once MacArthur gets ashore.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually try to keep MacArthur at bay with regular attacks, and keep the second fortification reserved for Nimitz, and for the following reasons:

There are a lot more cards where Nimitz gets a negative DRM, so the odss of having good dice roll odds against Macarthur are bigger than against Nimitz. And Nimitz has many more advance cards (especially in Mid War), so your fortifications will be used more if on the Nimitz track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
But, Luzon is also appealing to me because it is an Allied fortified space. It is tough to contest once MacArthur gets ashore.

Ah, very good David - this is one of those 'voyages of discovery' built into the game for the player.

A Japanese Island fortification at Luzon is indeed very tempting, however since it is an Allied Fortified Space, Mac will "always" (per 8.4.6) benefit from the intrinsic -1 DRM there. Thus, once he advances onto the fortification, it will be very difficult to knock him off.

In this particular case, we are representing the Filipino guerillas and local population supporting their hero (Mac) without any other special rules needed (i.e., design-for-effect).

teufen raises a very good point above about Nimitz, also.

Your general strategy question is one of many decision trees that the players can explore in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
I usually try to keep MacArthur at bay with regular attacks, and keep the second fortification reserved for Nimitz, and for the following reasons:

There are a lot more cards where Nimitz gets a negative DRM, so the odss of having good dice roll odds against Macarthur are bigger than against Nimitz. And Nimitz has many more advance cards (especially in Mid War), so your fortifications will be used more if on the Nimitz track.

I find myself leaning towards Luzon, particularly if the Solomons Campaign was a drawn-out affair. I find the greater depth of the Nimitz front allows me to pound on him and keep Nimitz at arm's length longer.

I haven't done a thorough analysis of the event decks. (I will.) So your observations about numerous -1 DRM's on Nimitz could be compelling. However, I think the Solomons Campaign could be a mitigating factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scolari
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just finished my first game today, I would have to agree with those who say to put the fortress marker somewhere against Nimitz. On my first play through, it appeared that Nimitz had far more advance actions and lots of negative DRM. For my game, Nimitz was my biggest concern because it was difficult to find an opportunity to strike his Army Group when it was in my favor or at least even money. I felt Mac could be kept at bay as he moved fewer times and had less negative DRM and thus there were more opportunities to push him back before he got to Luzon. I think the key is to keep Mac back around his 4 spot so that he does not become lodged in Luzon.

Just my .02 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Very good commentary David(s) and Christopher; I sincerely hope you continue to explore and enjoy the game.

Nimitz is the piston that drives the Allied engine - the elusiveness and power of the American flattops and marines is one of the game's key design concepts.

Of course, how the war plays out - and how fate goes for or against you - could easily change things.

In one session for example, a playtester in effect "won" at the Solomons/Guadalcanal, and thus he was able to effectively use the [2] Island Fortification against MacArthur en route to an eventual Survival Victory.

Whether a fort "holds" or not is one of the tension points in the game, and it opens up an entirely new decision tree for the player to consider - remember that a fort is only removed in Housekeeping (8.4.5), so you do have a chance to "save" it if you somehow manage to push the Allied Front out of the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I agree with the facts presented -- Nimitz advances more and has more -1 DRM's. However, his track is much deeper. Pounding on Nimitz constantly is crucial. Or more precisely, pounding on Nimitz successfully is crucial.

My preference at this time is to fortify Luzon and try to keep MacArthur somewhere between Port Moresby and Luzon. In my thinking, I prefer to keep the attacks on Luzon to a minimum. For once MacArthur is ashore, the Allies' fortress kicks in. Then the question becomes do you want to burn one of your previous Kamikazes to even try saving the fortress? Your best bet is winning a battle like Leyte Gulf and retreating him. That will really tick off the Americans.

I prefer to keep my fortify rolls to a minimum. (Yeah, I'm a banzai kind of guy.) If the fortress is deployed against Nimitz, it is likely to be destroyed and redeployed often. I rather take my chances that I'll get some mileage out of it against MacArthur. But, truth be told, if you roll badly, it will fall like ripe fruit before the American whirlwind.

I seek to keep my Oil Level at 6 during the Mid War deck to get the +1 DRM and put it on Nimitz to duke it out with him. Of course, once the Late War deck kicks in, Nimitz better be far away on his track or the Japanese will be surrendering quickly. And, during Late War, it is highly unlikely your Oil marker will be riding high (although I did pull this off once).

Once Luzon falls, I then shift the Fortress to the Nimitz track for a showdown on Okinawa Iwo Jima instead of Formosa, if it is not too late. Frankly, it better not be or you're toast anyways.

Of course, the longer you can spin out the Solomons campaign, the better. Alas, the Emperor has the final word on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.