Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damion Meany
United States
Central Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all...this is my second review so please bear with me as I learn the ropes.

When I first heard about this game I was completely uninterested. It was rated well here on the geek and at Amazon (though I don't put much stock at all in the reviews you find on Amazon) but for some reason I just couldn't get interested in a game about trains. My wife and I recently made the acquaintance of another couple who are into board games, and they brought their copy of TtR to our first pizza and game night. Seeing and playing the game totally changed my mind!

The components:
Nice big board, cute little train pieces, decent good quality cards (the size is the issue with them)

Gameplay:
Easy to learn, quick to get playing, and very very fun!

Playtime:
Short (1-1.5 hours)

Our friends had learned the game from some friends of theirs, and had been playing with a sleight misinterpretation of the rules. If they drew train cards from the deck and got a wild card (locomotive) they treated it in the same manner as they would a face up wild card (they would not take a second one from the deck if one was their 1st draw and would discard it if they got a locomotive on their 2nd draw from the deck). This is the only rules confusion I have heard of or could imagine from a game this simple.

So far we have introduced this game to my sisters (not gamers) my father and his girlfriend (not gamers) and a set of close friends (gamers). Everyone who has played the game has loved the game. It has just enough strategy that those who are competitive or tactically minded can find it challenging and rewarding. It is straight forward enough that first timers can just mind their own hands and routes and still do well and enjoy themselves even when they are at the table with some more competitive players (like my brother-in-law).

The beginner box is a great play in and of itself, but I cannot recommend the 1910 expansion highly enough! TtR comes with cards that are a bit too small to handle easily. The 1910 expansion comes with full sized cards that are much easier to shuffle and play with. In addition it almost triples the number of available routes and offers some variations in gameplay.

This game is the bomb when it comes to dragging the uninitiated into our world. It is my 1st choice nerd-conversion tool and a go-to game for my experienced gamer friends when we have an hour or so to kill pre- or post- serious time commitment game.

I never thought I would have so much fun playing with little trains!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Cairns
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really lokking forward to getting this at Christmas, though I'm getting the Europe edition what with living in Europe an all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never met anyone who didn't get excited and have a lot fun when playing Ticket to Ride for the 1st time. It's a really wonderful yet simple game. Enjoy your trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only problem is after playing this, my oldest daughter always wants to play this. So I had to make a compromise with her. I'd play this, but she had to try a second game of something else each night. If that fails, I'll get her the online version and she can play it non-stop.

It is a great game though. One I can't wait to introduce to my family when they come in at Christmas. But maybe this time, I'll introduce the others to different games first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
My only problem is after playing this, my oldest daughter always wants to play this. So I had to make a compromise with her. I'd play this, but she had to try a second game of something else each night. If that fails, I'll get her the online version and she can play it non-stop.

It is a great game though. One I can't wait to introduce to my family when they come in at Christmas. But maybe this time, I'll introduce the others to different games first

LOL, I had quite the same issues here. That's the downside of TtR. You have to wait until everyone get burnt out of it then go for a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobbyskizza wrote:
I'm really lokking forward to getting this at Christmas, though I'm getting the Europe edition what with living in Europe an all.

Well I also bought Europe first but really the USA version is easily the best as a gateway. Europe is a nice addition when you start getting tired of the USA rules and board, but its simplicity is key for newbies IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.