Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n00b alert!

I'm considering buying an iPod Touch, mostly for the board game craze but also to check email etc.

I was wondering: what is the size (in MB) and cost of the average game app? For example, what are these quantities for:

- The Carcassone app
- Roll through the Ages
- Ra
- Medici

etc.

is there a place I can check this?

(is 8 GB too little? Assuming I take up a gig or so with MP3s and another for random stuff.. how many games can I install with 6 GB?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Games range from about 8 meg to 500. The iTunes store lists the sizes... Carc is 100 meg, for example:

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/carcassonne/id375295479?uo=4&...

I've used up 32 gig on my iPod thus far, mostly with music though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Williams
United States
Gahanna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Game apps for iOS devices are pretty small. You can look it up on the iTunes Store on your computer, when you view an app, it gives the current version and the Size of the app.

Carcassonne 101 MB
Medeci 7 MB
Roll through the ages 6.3 MB
Ra 20 MB

Board Game Geek** .4 MB
Score .2 MB
McGuire 2.2 MB
Catan 14.2 MB
Kingsburg 35 MB
Tichu 29.3 MB

Now though Carc. is much larger, it also offers many more styles of play*, and is a very well written app.
*vs AI, Solo, Pass and Play, vs. Friends on internet, Vs. random on internet.

**This is a great app that also lets you record your board game plays on BGG when you have an internet connection.
Hope that helps.

8 GB is not bad if you are willing to swap out music on a regular basis. Personally, I'd go up to a 32 if it is in the budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Very helpful!

What about the average cost of each of the games listed above? Are they between 4-8$ ? Is Carcassonne the only app with both AI and multi-player online capabilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuelw3 wrote:
Most Game apps for iOS devices are pretty small. You can look it up on the iTunes Store on your computer, when you view an app, it gives the current version and the Size of the app.

Let me rephrase: is there a way to do this

a) without being on a Mac?
b) via the Internet, without finding each app via Google?

I would like to browse a list of games and find the profiles of each in detail (like the one linked above by sbszine); I don't want to have to find these by Google.. I want a nice list I can search through on my Linux machine in Firefox. Is this not possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
Is Carcassonne the only app with both AI and multi-player online capabilities?

No - I would say that "You can play online, or you can play against an AI" is effectively the standard. Games that violates one of those conditions exist, but are more the exception than the rule. E.g., Catan and Samurai have both online play and single-player AIs. Small World for iPad has an AI, and hotseat play, but not online multiplayer.

Obviously this varies game to game, but I pretty much expect most games to have both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the non-serious answer - "Size of a playing card!"

My eyes must be gnarled and bent, because they are bordering on too damn small for me! Upsize them on the iPad though and then you're talking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle D
Canada
flag msg tools
I am not aware of any lists that include game sizes Here is one list of games:

iPhone Board Games

You may prefer:
http://www.appshopper.com

For getting game info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:

I would like to browse a list of games and find the profiles of each in detail (like the one linked above by sbszine); I don't want to have to find these by Google.. I want a nice list I can search through on my Linux machine in Firefox. Is this not possible?

You can download (free) iTunes for a Windows computer. Other os may be possible too, go to the apple site, then iTunes, and you should see a list of versions available. You'll need a credit card to set up an account but unless you buy something, you won't be charged. Once in iTunes, it's possible to search for various items, like apps or university. Apps are in categories and there is a search function. However, in a world with Amazon, the search and sort abilities are disappointing. You can add apps to your wish list to keep track of them. So, you don't need a Mac and you don't need google once iTunes is installed, but I don't think there is a way to get a "nice list" with the specs you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When I Was Joe- Keren David
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:

If you have an ipod touch, you can buy apps on your itunes acount through the ipod app store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:

You can do it on the iPod itself -- that's how I buy my games. You can also update (patch) the games directly on the device.

Linux might be a showstopper unless you dual boot into Windows. You need a Mac or Windows machine with iTunes in order to set up an iTunes account, update the device OS, back up the device, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an iPod Touch. I'm considering buying one, so I don't have it yet. The info for each app and the list of apps available is what I want to use to inform me as to what I should buy. It'd great if my attempt to get informed was not being blocked by a cyclic dependency

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
I don't have an iPod Touch. I'm considering buying one, so I don't have it yet. The info for each app and the list of apps available is what I want to use to inform me as to what I should buy. It'd great if my attempt to get informed was not being blocked by a cyclic dependency

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can install iTunes (it's free) and use that to search for apps, or visit http://appshopper.com/

Edit: There are so many apps (many millions) that you can't get them in a list format. There are top 100 type lists for various genres, as well as recommendation engines.

http://videogamegeek.com/iphone/browse/videogame has a very small subset that includes some of the big names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle D
Canada
flag msg tools
For the most part, apps aren't going to be what fill up your touch's hard drive.

Just looking at the games I have installed on mine, I have a couple that are about 100mb (Carcassonne, Civ Revolution), and the rest are 50 or less.

I've got an offline map of the US that is 753mb, but don't plan on putting it on my iphone until I'm going somewhere in the U.S.

So basically, any size Touch will be fine for apps/games - but if you plan on having a lot of music or video installed, you want to get the biggest you can afford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I third the suggestion of appshopper.com. For keeping abreast of apps and information about apps, it's the best. Great site and great app too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for all the links, everyone! Yes, appshopper was what I was looking for. Now I have to make the decision of whether to go with an Apple-based device or Android device.

BTW, as far as I can tell there is no version of iTunes for Linux. Ubuntu lets me browse music from iTunes via rythmbox in Firefox (I'm sure other distributions would as well).. but I could not find any of the game apps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
Awesome. Thanks for all the links, everyone! Yes, appshopper was what I was looking for. Now I have to make the decision of whether to go with an Apple-based device or Android device.

BTW, as far as I can tell there is no version of iTunes for Linux. Ubuntu lets me browse music from iTunes via rythmbox in Firefox (I'm sure other distributions would as well).. but I could not find any of the game apps.

Does the Android app store even compare to the Apple one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
tigerwiccan wrote:
Does the Android app store even compare to the Apple one?

Not for licensed board game apps, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The impression that I got was also that the Android app selection for games (or in general) is not as good as the Apple-based devices at the moment. But.. I like the fact that Android is based on open technology.

Sage Board Games / Codito Development, makers of Ra and Medici apps already announced support for Android. I wonder how many more of these board games will also be released for Android in the future.

Edit: I just looked through the list of Android devices on Wikipedia. Most of them are smartphones.. I'm looking for the analogue to the iPod Touch (no phone capabilities) but based on Android OS, and available in Canada/US). Does such a device exist, or does anybody know if one has been announced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
The impression that I got was also that the Android app selection for games (or in general) is not as good as the Apple-based devices at the moment. But.. I like the fact that Android is based on open technology.

Sage Board Games / Codito Development, makers of Ra and Medici apps already announced support for Android. I wonder how many more of these board games will also be released for Android in the future.

Edit: I just looked through the list of Android devices on Wikipedia. Most of them are smartphones.. I'm looking for the analogue to the iPod Touch (no phone capabilities) but based on Android OS, and available in Canada/US). Does such a device exist, or does anybody know if one has been announced?

Not sure about a phone size device that is not a phone like the iPod Touch, but there is an Android iPad clone coming out or already out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When I Was Joe- Keren David
mbmbmbmbmb
size of games
Carcassone 108.4 mb
Bananagrams 7 mb
Blokus 95 mb
Honey, that's mine (hey, that's my fish) 11.5 mb
iChess 1.3 mb
iReversi (othello) 570 kb
Mancala 12.2 mb
Rush hour 7.7 mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
I just looked through the list of Android devices on Wikipedia. Most of them are smartphones.. I'm looking for the analogue to the iPod Touch (no phone capabilities) but based on Android OS, and available in Canada/US). Does such a device exist, or does anybody know if one has been announced?

Aye, most are smartphones indeed. There are first experiments of tablets, most notably the Samsung Galaxy one - its size is something between the iPad and the iPod touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.