Popular Tags: [View All]
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foppen, Foppen, Who's got the Foppen?

I like trick taking games, even though I really am not very good at them. I can usually fake my way through them, and end up somewhere in the middle of the pack, scoring-wise.

This week was an F week, so what better way to start the week than with Foppen? Brian, James, Phil and I all agreed, so play it we did.

The game started out really well for me: I was able to get rid of all of my cards the first round, and was the only person in positive numbers at the end of it. Brian dug himself quite a hole, ending round 1 with -45. Phil also dug a pretty good hole, but it was about half the size of Brian's at -27. James did well, scoring a -6.

That's when my woes began. At the end of the second round, I had a chance to play a card that would have gotten a higher number out of my hand, but by throwing out one of my wild cards, I could force James to not get any points. Since he was the biggest threat at that point, that's what I chose to do. I think that upset my karma, because I simply tanked after that. At the end of round 2, scores were James at -6, Me at -10, Phil at -17, and Brian at -54.

The third round was not good, and I'd rather wipe it from the record. I could not seem to get rid of the Foppen that round. Sure, I put it in the middle every time I had it, which insured that I only had it half the time, but I still had it half the time. At the end of this round, scores were James still at -6, Phil at -21, Me at -42, and Brian looking to catch up to me at -44.

The last round I was finally able to get rid of the Foppen, for most of the game. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough for me to even see the light of day. Final scores were James +4, Phil -11, Me -44, and Brian -47.

I still love the Foppen, and feel it's one of the better trick-taking games out there. Phil and Brian rank it a 7, James and I rank it a 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.